Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bamboo Technology  (Read 1330 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Bamboo Technology
« on: June 04, 2011, 05:43:40 pm »

1.) Is it possible to mod coconut trees and bamboo that can be gathered or something for coconuts and bamboo stalks?
1b.) If not, how could you approximate it?
1c.) What would you add to use that in a reaction? Just to save a noob some time.
2.) A crash-course in custom workshops would be nice.
3.) Is there anything else I should add if trying to simulate, say, a Gilligan's Island fort?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
Re: Bamboo Technology
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 06:33:43 pm »

As far as I know, you can't make a tree with a product. All other naturally forming plants will be in the form of bushes. So you could make a plant that produces coconuts and another for bamboo, but they would act like other plants, i.e. plant-able and gather-able. That said, you could give it it's own bush icon and make it look like a tree.

The alternative is to make them trees, the only meaningful interaction with which is to chop them down. You could then make a reaction to "extract" the coconuts and bamboo from these felled logs.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:36:33 pm »

you could have an herbalist's workshop, where an herbalist could "collect coconuts" or "harvest bamboo stalks", producing one unit of coconuts and one wooden block to prevent recursive coconut collection.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »

Okay...but what would the item type be?
Realistically, I mean. Bamboo bars? Coconut...???
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 08:07:53 pm »

You'd probably turn it into a tool- or toy-class item, the same way honeycombs are, which you'd then use in custom reactions to turn into coconut shell cups or something.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 08:17:34 pm »

You can make it a plant that doesn't grow anywhere.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 08:21:21 pm »

You'd probably turn it into a tool- or toy-class item, the same way honeycombs are, which you'd then use in custom reactions to turn into coconut shell cups or something.
Oh, duh.
Anyone ready with a crash course in custom workshops? Ideally the graphicy part.
Also, what would a car or a radio probably use for its tile? Both are probably going to be tools, but maybe the car would be a workshop. Hm...
Sig

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 08:28:35 pm »

Oh, duh.
Anyone ready with a crash course in custom workshops? Ideally the graphicy part.
Also, what would a car or a radio probably use for its tile? Both are probably going to be tools, but maybe the car would be a workshop. Hm...

Linked directly from the sticky:

Workshop creation utility
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 08:39:47 pm »

I make them manually as custom workshop workshop inexplicably doesn't work for me.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 08:47:24 pm »

Oh, duh.

Linked directly from the sticky:

Workshop creation utility
...Oops.  :-[
Thanks.
Sig

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 10:09:06 pm »

Sharpened bamboo at the carpenters workshop could probably make some pretty damn sharp wooden spears/trap spears. I'd probably give them a little more piercing power than normal wood but less than iron.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 06:23:25 am »

Sharpened bamboo at the carpenters workshop could probably make some pretty damn sharp wooden spears/trap spears. I'd probably give them a little more piercing power than normal wood but less than iron.
That's a rather good idea! Thanks!
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 04:12:52 pm »

Question: What item type are turtle/mussel/clam/etc shells? [SHELL]?
Sig