Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trying to understand Elven Traders...  (Read 1794 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to understand Elven Traders...
« on: June 04, 2011, 02:10:48 pm »

So they're happy to give away wooden barrels and goods made of wood, but they get furious if I do the same?  Is this one of those "hot girls in miniskirts get angry at you for staring even though they dress like they totally want you to" deals, or is there something else I'm missing..
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to understand Elven Traders...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:11:48 pm »

They claim it's a spiritual thing, but everyone knows they're just trying to maintain a monopoly on wood.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Greyejoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 03:23:41 pm »

I'd say both really.
If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 03:28:25 pm »

Visibly they grow their wood and wood items without cutting it, and as they are ethically opposed to the killing of plants they don't accept buying wooden items.

Or they just might be hypocrites. That would go well with their not accepting back and getting offended by being sold back their own items.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 03:32:29 pm »

They don't like it when you kill plants. Presumably they get their wood from trees that are already dead.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »

Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro? It comes with with this um, cedar cage, man, but its legit, the tree didnt' suffer any...
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Fetlock

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • The Pendulum - Sith Guild for The Old Republic
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 03:47:24 pm »

I always thought they just had a kosher way of crafting with the wood that dwarves don't adhere to.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 05:09:50 pm »

I always thought they just had a kosher way of crafting with the wood that dwarves don't adhere to.

Ah man, I used to know what the Elvish word for kosher was.

Bromosapian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 05:19:28 pm »

Takes a big man to admit that.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 05:34:26 pm »

The real answer to this question is that they actually directly grow all their wood items.
They plant <<Chestnut Wood Cap>> and *Mahogany Wood Training Sword* directly into the ground.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 07:08:11 pm »

Toady One said, they produce their wood without cutting trees. They also find killing plants unthinkable (the most terrible kind of crime there is in DF ethics).

I'm OK with it, even tough I occasionally try to sell them some goblin junk decorated with wood, and face the inevitable consequences. What pissed me off about elves in my current fort is that they stopped bringing cloth. STOPPED BRINGING CLOTH!!>:( Not even one bin of it. I don't give a damn about their jaguars and silvery gibbons, I want all the wood and cloth they can bring. At least they took 10 bins of goblin crap off the map. If this continues, I'll have to grow pig tails or something :(
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 07:13:53 pm »

Given how site resources are tracked now, isn't this a natural consequence of you depleting that stock they built up over worldgen? It'll be release 5 of the caravan arc when Toady fixes that.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 07:26:15 pm »

I'm with thatkid on them trying to get a monopoly on wood. I mean really, THEIR OWN PRODUCTS PISS THEM OFF. Or maybe they just really don't like wood that dorfs have had their grubby little boozefingers on. I'm pretty sure a fort would smell pretty badly after a few years, despite the existence of soap. Dorfs don't mind going around being covered in a crispy crust of blood, pus and vomit, and they're not exactly eager to clean the blood off the floor (it happens occasionally) either. I know i wouldn't touch any wood that a dorf has had his/her fingers on (rather unfortunate ambiguity here), and maybe the elves won't either.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 08:10:50 pm »

And even when they do try to clean themselves, half the time they claim some soap and proceed to have a seizure when they can't figure out how to use it. Being good dwarves, they then return it to the stockpile they found it in. Then they notice they're dirty...

Then the overseer gets pissed at them and locks them in the third cavern until Reg Mirrorlord the Fang of Winters the three-eyed chicken with taupe scales shows up and sprays them with deadly dust and they melt.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 09:10:34 pm »

It will be interesting to see the introduction of toilet paper in dwarven society. I guess they will reuse it, until they have to store its fragments in a coffer
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration
Pages: [1] 2