Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do your royal suites look like?  (Read 1336 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do your royal suites look like?
« on: June 04, 2011, 02:04:00 pm »

I've floated between a few variations, but haven't pinned down anything sufficiently grand.  Looking for some inspiration.  What do you do?
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do your royal suites look like?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:12:07 pm »

I generally just build a fairly regular suite of rooms, albeit large.  Usually I'll stick it inside a magnatite vein or something since that gives a good result with engraving.  If I lack that then on a gold deposit and I pave rather than engrave any resulting bare rock floors with gold/electrum.  Then just fill with artifact furniture to taste.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 02:13:51 pm »

A build a floor on a series of supports overlooking the magma sea, and then provide the nobles with a lever with wish they might "call their servants should they need anything"
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 02:15:45 pm »

Lovely floodgates and strange water lines.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 02:16:53 pm »

I haven't had a fort survive long enough for making special bedrooms for nobles and whatnot, but I am going to be using mostly regular rooms that are just a 4x3 or 4x4 box, with some some nice furniture.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 02:23:46 pm »

Usually 5x5 with a pattern of pillars inside, depending on my mood, and a whole lot of stuff.  Chests, cabinets, statues, etc.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 04:29:41 pm »

Am I the only one who keeps his Nobles alive?

evileeyore likes goblins for their savagery, elfs for their high pitched screams of terror, cows for their haunting moos, iron for it's scarcity, and Nobles for their challenging mandates.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 05:09:27 pm »

Am I the only one who keeps his Nobles alive?

evileeyore likes goblins for their savagery, elfs for their high pitched screams of terror, cows for their haunting moos, iron for it's scarcity, and Nobles for their challenging mandates.

I do, actually, even when they turn annoying. I like playing my forts as if they were a real living, breathing society.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 05:36:54 pm »

I usually do a hammer shaped throne room with the dinning hall off one side and the royal suites off the other.

The throne room usually has pillars in it and lots of statues.

The dinning hall is usually about 12 tables or so all platinum or aluminum. I then make it a dual room the monarchs dining room and a meeting hall so its as if the king is throwing a permanent feast.

The royal suite is usually a round room with a door hidden behind a cabinet which leads down a level to the royal tomb.

I usually pump magma (or water if magma isn't possible but this is rarely the case) into it so that the tomb is on an island in the middle of a lake of magma.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 05:40:26 pm »

I've been making townhouses for them. "First floor" (which means where the main entrance is, not necessarily the lowest z-level) is a large office/throne room, with a throne, at least one of the chests, and usually the armor stand and weapon rack. Off to one side is a stairway leading to the "second floor". The stairway enters the second floor in the dining room, and a door leads to the private bedroom. I usually have a chest in the dining room to help bring up the value, and have the cabinet in the bedroom. The mayor gets a similar suite, but with part of the office used for a private food and booze storeroom, in case I need to lock him in for a month or two, before talking to the representative from the mountainholmes. First floor is either 3x7 or 3x11, each room on the second floor is half the size of the first floor.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 07:16:57 pm »

One statue with so many decorations it's more expensive than regular artifacts would be my ideal. Never quite got to the mass decoration stage, so it was just platinum furniture to raise room value.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 08:00:27 pm »

I think I'll start laying out a "red carpet" of rose gold flooring 1x7 tiles long through the throne room.  Although, my current fort probably won't get a king at this rate.  Dwarven traders have dwindled off, and there were no migrants last season, even though we're flourishing.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 08:13:24 pm »

I usually just go with a triplet of 3x3 rooms, made of solid gold (including the furniture), and a tomb elsewhere. This tends to be valuable enough, for even a needy noble (never had higher than a duke though). What i'm contemplating, however, is to make the rooms form the united shape of the male family branch. That'd be fitting for those needy little pricks, anyways. A damn shame that dorfs can't recognize shapes though, else we could give them awesome thoughts like "was (utterly traumatized/positively elated) by sleeping in a giant dick-shaped bedroom lately". What? Don't tell me that wouldn't amuse you at least a little bit. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 08:26:09 pm »

I dig out two massive 20x40 or so rooms as the dining and throne rooms. These are long corridors lined with statues or tables depending on the building's purpose, with armor stands and chests aplenty. Adjoining these are rooms full of gold bars and silver nuggets. Behind them is the grand imperial bedroom, with walls lined with engravings, chests, and cabinets.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 08:29:03 pm »

Gold plated floors, with gold chairs, tables, armor stands, weapon stands, beds, cabinets and chests. The floors are then lined with magma, as are the walls. Then more magma is put into the room once the noble gets to a dead-end from the magma his favorite spot, until the entire room is overflowing with magma! Then a lever is pulled where the floors give out and he is skewered gently placed atop five or so adamantine spears, then that chamber is filled with more magma!
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...
Pages: [1] 2