Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adventurer training programs.  (Read 12061 times)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventurer training programs.
« on: June 04, 2011, 01:57:56 pm »

So what training programs do you put your adventurers through before you send them out into the world to make it better/worse?

I stick with good old throwing.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer training programs.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:04:50 pm »

fighting........ helps with everything...
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

Greyejoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 03:16:54 pm »

My training is going to bandit camps or fortresses and killing everything I see.
If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 03:25:40 pm »

Well, it's always possible to find the last bandit in a bandit camp, and, providing you have no companions, cut off his hands, hope that he doesn't bleed to death, and then just casually beat him up with your fists. You'll get striking and fighting, and if your strength isn't as good as it could be, that might get lifted up aswell.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 04:34:30 pm »

^^this.  I generally cut off a leg and a weapon hand before beating my first kills into a pulp unarmed.  I generally find it makes all the difference when your 4th/5th quest foe turns out to be a good wrestler and tries to rip your head off.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 05:07:08 pm »

Skipping merrily through the Joyous Wilds with rainbows and butterflies all around, strangling all the small animals you can find.

(Once you can barely walk anymore, sell the half-ton of meat you've collected for a full set of quality armor)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 06:41:53 pm »

Collect a few hundreds rocks, make them into sharp rocks, and pelt disabled targets with them for throwing. Or don't sharpen them so they do less damage and you get more throws in. But you won't get the knapping skill for quality thrown ammunition down the line. So you might as well kill two birds with 100 pieces of -sharp sandstone-.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 06:55:21 pm »

I train throwing+archer+knapping using a macro to pick up rocks, sharpen them, and throw them.  Macro:  "g-a-x-right-enter-enter-t-e-left-enter", and then I press ctrl-p a few times to duplicate the macro and make it run 16-64 times in a row.

I train shield user+armor user+dodging by wearing a little armor, grabbing some harmless wildlife, and lying down next to it.  I record a "....." macro and hold down ctrl-p.

I train swimming+sneaking by sneaking in water.  Macro:  "left-right" and then press ctrl-p to duplicate it.

Protips for macros:  at the end of init.txt, set [MACRO_MS:5] so the macros run faster, but they're still not fast enough for the keypresses to interfere with each other.  You can also press ctrl-p to play a macro while you're recording, and it'll play+record the entire macro up to that point.  "a-b-a-b-ctrlp-ctrlp" becomes ("a-b-a-b"x2)x2, which gives "a-b-a-b-a-b-a-b-a-b-a-b-a-b-a-b".  It's an easy way to get extremely long repetitive macros for training.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:43:02 pm »

macro to pick up rock, throw rock. Copy itself over itself so each individual macro takes 5 minutes, set it to go three times. Disappear for a cuppa coffee and come back to an adventurer who can kill a dragon with a thrown fluffy wambler.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 08:09:07 pm »

Throwing rocks also helps with speed. As for wrestling wildlife, you can improve several skills.   
  Drop you shield and weapon, and under combat preferences, set defense to just stand there. Increases armor use.
 Set defense to dodge, increases dodge.
 Wear a shield, stand there again. Increases shield use.
 Buy a practice weapon at a shop, drop shield, equip it. Guess what improves through parrying
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 08:42:14 am »

i just go alone into a bandit camp and if i survive i recruit a bunch of peasants and continue to attack bandits, so i am the only one getting experience.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 02:41:58 pm »

The first night I go into everyone's houses and start murdering them in their sleep, when the entire town stops fighting me and starts running in terror I know I'm ready.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 02:51:11 pm »

I usually just grab a bandit by the head, change preference to "close combat" and than just hold button for a moment to get a legendary+ wrestler and fighter.
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 03:33:33 am »

When playing an elf, I go into the forest and start strangling an animal ( usually a boar ).  The boar hardly ever fights back, and I reach legendary after a few hundred tries. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 07:28:29 pm »

I'm not too fond of all the grinding; like throwing a bunch of rocks, strangling rodents, or laying on the ground to let those rodents smack you. They work for sure but requires work and that's no fun for me. My training program uses a little bit of grinding but still keeps me entertained. Using human hero btw.

1.Stats: Put all points into agility and strength. This is to increase your speed which is important.
Skills: Put all your points into armor, shield, and dodging. Also get novice in axe, spear, or sword.

2.Head straight for the nearest market place. You probably started with a lousy silver weapon but its actually worth a bit so sell it. If you have a shield better than copper sell that too.

3.Buy a wooden training weapon of your choice along with a cheap copper shield if you didn't have one already. Use what's left to buy copper armor so you can at least cover as much of yourself as you can in metal.

4.Wander the wilds around the marketplace hunting for badgers, gophers, birds, wolves, etc. butcher them with your copper dagger and sell the meat and fat for better gear at the nearby market place. These animals cant do anything but bruise you since your covered in metal but you can still kill them with your wooden training weapon. It will take you a while to kill them with that but it will improve your weapon and fighting skills. Just avoid big animals like crocs, hippos, elephants, and rhinos. You can actually get a lot of skill from fighting with those but if one kicks you your bones are broken.

5.Eventually you'll be proficient/talented in all your defense and offense skills plus will have a good set of armor. Buy a nice lethal weapon now, recruit some soldiers, and take your first mission. You will do a lot better than if you had attempted to take a mission being low skilled and armor less.

6.Always have the maximum amount of henchmen you can take. This will attract more ambushes to you which will increase your skills as you fight to survive. You will lose a lot of allies in those melees but your kill count and weapon skills will sky rocket if you fight those smart (hint: when your allies charge off in all directions, go in the direction where the majority are heading). Don't forget to keep visiting market places and upgrading your weapon/armor if you find anything.

7.Eventually you'll get sick of all those henchmen stealing your kills. Also, your defensive skills have probably not increased as fast as your offensive ones. Abandon your allies by taking a nap in the woods and immediately fast traveling when you wake up (since they're still unconscious). Travel near a hamlet/town and sleep all day in the wilds outside it. When its night wait for the boogeymen to show up and fight them off with your wooden training weapon. They will hit you but won't do much besides bruise you. However, if you let them surround you they will always get a lucky kick to the head. Run until they form a nice congo line for you and use charge to your advantage. Fight them until you start to get tired then, either run away to the nearby town or pull out your real weapon and kill them before you get over exerted and pass out.

8.Continually battle boogeymen this way until they are nothing but a minor annoyance. You can now go around killing dragons and titans by yourself since you're so bad ass.
Pages: [1] 2