Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Universe Generator  (Read 5088 times)

DrSazar

• Bay Watcher
  • He is in a constant state of internal rage.
    • View Profile
Universe Generator
« on: June 04, 2011, 12:21:04 pm »

The world generator only creates a single planet that can be edited in many ways. Making it a universe generator would add things like multiple moons and suns, constellations, and other planets solar system. I think this will be very important for things like engravings and statues, since the sun, moon, etc. had a strong influence on ancient spirituality.

A solar system would have to include at least one star and one planet.

The sun star could be a class O (extremely large, white, least likely to occur), B (very large, blue-white, very unlikely to occur), A (large, unlikely to occur, blue), F (likely to occur, yellow, average size) G, (Most likely to occur, average size, yellow), K (likely to occur, orange, smaller than average), and M (unlikely to occur, red, very small). The effects of the type of sun-star could be the temperature of the planet.

Possible moons depend on how large the home planet is, (larger world = more moons), moons would effect ocean currents of the planet, although I’m not sure how this would be incorporated into the game.

Stars would only be recognized by civilizations in the form of constellations. (ex. On the oaken chest is a masterfully crafted image of swordsmashed the constellation in cowhide leather.)

Other phenomenon like black holes and supernovas would likely be too overly complex just to destroy the entire planet.

This is all I can come up now, but I hope it will be considered to be put in the game :)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Universe Generator
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 12:29:56 pm »

I like the idea of different astronomical occurrences. I dislike the idea that these occurrences should alter the world too greatly. One of the cool things about fantasy, for me, is that it takes place in a world that isn't too environmentally different from our own. Dwarf Fortress on pluto, while interesting, wouldn't have the same feel.
Maybe if there's a way to turn it off?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 04:10:11 pm »

It's all planned.  Check the dev_single notes; there's all sorts of tasty bits about procedurally generated cosmologies, alternate planes, other dimensions, etc.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:23:31 am »

It's all planned.  Check the dev_single notes; there's all sorts of tasty bits about procedurally generated cosmologies, alternate planes, other dimensions, etc.

Holy crap, Toady is like the Chuck Norris of computers to do this.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:15:02 am »

I think it should be split into two things.
Create a planet and create-a-goddamn-universe.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 09:18:22 am »

A universe? I hope there are going to be !!FUN!! ways of going to new planets...
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:24:10 am »

A universe? I hope there are going to be !!FUN!! ways of going to new planets...
This is a steel Space Shuttle. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of cat leather. On the object is an engraving of Ember Aliens. The Ember Aliens are on the planet The Rocky Rocks.

Dwarves will use space shuttles.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 11:14:47 am »

shuttles are overrated, tr00 dwarves uses catapults to travel between planets

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 11:38:06 am »

A massive railgun pointing at the sky. Just make sure to seal the seams in your dwarves' steal plate armor and they're all set to go.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 12:17:12 pm »

A massive railgun pointing at the sky. Just make sure to seal the seams in your dwarves' steal plate armor and they're all set to go.

Urist McAstronaut has suffocated.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 02:53:46 pm »

That's why you seal the seams, durrr.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 03:08:35 pm »

They still would need alcohol, air, and food distributors.

And a railgun ? Seriously ? You want to add electricity to the game ? A From The Earth To The Moon-like cannon would be more fitting for the universe.

Or a booze cannon, or magma cannon, or something. But a railgun

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 03:29:45 pm »

They still would need alcohol, air, and food distributors.

Yes, this.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 12:55:29 am »

Holy crap, Toady is like the Chuck Norris of computers to do this.
I remember once in the Philosophy 101 class I took during my Senior year of highschool, we watched a video where someone said that the possibility that we're living in a simulation of real-life is very real, if only because we're steadily moving closer to creating a very accurate simulation on our own.
I'd like to think Toady is one of those people advancing us toward something like that...so long as it doesn't mean DF on Pluto. I really don't like Pluto. It's not even a planet anymore, I mean come on.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 01:16:03 am »

I still like Pluto, planetary status or no planetary status.

Why do we have to hate on the planetoids?
Pages: [1] 2 3