Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To Catch a Kobold  (Read 3317 times)

Ravenkana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To Catch a Kobold
« on: June 04, 2011, 07:17:23 am »

So, I wish to trap a Kobold so that I can... I can... horribly maim it, yes, and train my military, indeed,  and not because I've given them the PET tag and desire to tame them for my fortress.

Given that they're TRAPAVOID this is a prickly situation. How would more bearded Dorfs go about this endeavor?

Polar_Atom

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Cancels Life: Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
Re: To Catch a Kobold
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:20:35 am »

How does one trap, the un-trapable?

I would try knocking him unconscious through something like a cave-in. You can worry about the specifics, and then assign him to a cage like you would any other 'pet'.
This forum post menaces with spikes of humour.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 08:33:24 am »

Putting webs on a trap with a GCS works for practically every thing.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Ravenkana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 08:43:12 am »

How does one trap, the un-trapable?

I would try knocking him unconscious through something like a cave-in. You can worry about the specifics, and then assign him to a cage like you would any other 'pet'.

So could I put an artifact out in the open by itself and expect a kobold to make a beeline for it?

And, if so, could I build a floor over it, supported by one support, and pull the lever to destroy it once he grows near? Do collapsing floors knock beings unconscious? And do they destroy objects?

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:04:27 am »

Floors collapsing onto creatures instantly kills them. The dust generated by them knocks them out, if it doesn't slam them into on obstacle and kill them. And yes dropping a floor on an item atom smashes it.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 09:24:52 am »

Placing merchants guests on cage traps and then throwing a crap load of stones on their heads is a bad idea. Try to keep a safe distance between the target and the cave-in.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 09:59:14 am »

You modded in the pet tag but won't mod it so they can't avoid traps?
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Ravenkana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 10:07:04 am »

You modded in the pet tag but won't mod it so they can't avoid traps?
I have SOME Honor, you know.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 11:16:53 am »

There's three ways to capture a creature in a cage.  1) Let it walk over.  Most creatures work just fine this way.  If it is [TRAP_AVOID] then you need to get more creative.  2) Knock it unconscious.  All traps work on all creatures which are unconscious, including your own dwarves.  You can kill/cage your own men by putting them in a roomful of weapon/cage traps and waiting until they sleep.  For invaders, this usually means getting lucky with a stun from a weapon, a stun from a cave-in, or passing out from pain.  For all intents, "stunned" means "unconscious".  3) Place a Giant Cave Spider web atop a cage trap.  I can go into detail (in fact I think I already made a thread about it) but the basic GCS silk farm setup involves a walkway with a wall on one side and nothing on the other.  Both sides have hatches covering empty space, as the only way out, and a pressure plate beside each hatch that triggers said hatch.  This way, when a creature is inside the farming rig, they cannot escape, because every time they walk to the exit they hit the plate and the exit disappears.  You then place some bait across the way, which is why one wall of the walkway is missing, and the GCS will fire web at the bait animal so long as it can path to it.  Using this, the GCS will see the creature, and can path to it, so it will fire web at it while running.  It hits the plate, its path disappears, and it cannot escape.  It then turns around, taking the other path while also firing web.  Once it reaches the other side, the first has already re-opened.  Utilize a drawbridge to selectively block view, which will disable the farm and allow your dwarves to collect silk.  Build this at your entrance, and litter it with cage traps, and you'll have the spider webbing all the cages for you.  Using this, I managed to collect a few dozen FB/Titans one time.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 02:54:19 pm »

Does stunning them by dropping them one z level count?
Soaplent green is goblins!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 03:21:51 pm »

Does stunning them by dropping them one z level count?
It should, a stun is a stun.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 03:28:02 pm »

Don't they lose their trap avoiding ability when they are seen?

You know, like the Goblin babysnatchers?
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 03:33:06 pm »

Don't they lose their trap avoiding ability when they are seen?

You know, like the Goblin babysnatchers?
Goblins snatchers aren't trapavoid, even when sneaking, IIRC.

Here's a fairly simple setup that should trap most anything, save for no-stun things like titans and clowns (side-view)
bridge
bridge
cage trap

I use 3x2 bridges in sequence to make sure they don't jam under normal circumstances.
  • Creature steps on the top bridge, it is retracted
  • They fall on the second bridge
  • It is retracted
  • They drop on a cage trap
  • The second bridge is lowered to protect mechanics as they reload the trap
  • The top bridge is lowered to allow the next batch of creatures to be processed

It's more work than a cage trap corridor, but the creatures won't wisen up to your tricks (invaders and ambushers may refuse to walk through a trapped passage after enough of their buddies got caught).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:41:05 pm by kotekzot »
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 03:46:53 pm »

I think the simplest way is to make a dodgefall lever-powered trap with training spears in upright spikes (kinda like a danger room), a 2-Z-level-deep pit (so they take minimal damage, and cage traps at the bottom of the pit, and all of this at th

Take not of when the kobolds arrive for each month. A few days before they do, put all your dwarves and animals inside. Set the dodgefall trap lever to repeat. The kobolds will with a bit of luck venture inside the trap, dodge away, fall 2 z-levels, take minimal damage, be stunned and be immediately caged. Problem solved.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 05:22:06 pm »

Does TRAPAVOID mean they don't trigger pressure plates?
Pages: [1] 2