Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Night Creature Tangent?  (Read 689 times)

Where_are_the_gnomes?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Night Creature Tangent?
« on: June 04, 2011, 06:13:09 am »

Is it just me, or has the the caravan arc taken a nearly a one and a half month detour for zombies and the like? (not denying that they'll be cool)

Either I'm wrong, or the development page needs to be updated.

And the harassment comes in...

I'm just spreading the word guys.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Night Creature Tangent?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 06:16:43 am »

Yeah, it has, but the point is it linked in with the cities, will make adventurer even more interesting, and it's something which Toady's been waiting to do for a long time and would have to be done eventually. So I'm all for it.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Where_are_the_gnomes?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:19:06 am »

You've got to be joking,

Less than a few minutes after I post this EmperorJon replies.

*Insane*

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 06:21:48 am »

I'm the post ninja.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:07:38 am »

Also whenever Toady finds something interesting to inspire to him to put cool stuff in the game, it also gives him opportunity to implement broader changes that will affect far more then what he is just working on. So while it may appear he is just working on night creatures, really he is also putting broader transformation effects into the game (magic!), reaction related stuff (like ingestion for the vampires), and furniture for the buildings in the cities, etc.

I think this particular tangent will be really fun and FUN in all modes of play.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 04:12:06 pm »

I don't get what the point of the thread is.  I mean, it's true, the night creatures detour has been kinda long, but it's not like Toady's tried to hide it.  Furthermore, night creatures figure heavily into the caravan arc (which isn't just about caravans, actually), as illustrated by the dev notes.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:25:27 pm »

As far as I can tell, the first part the current detour was a legitimate part of the Caravan&City arc (IIRC the zombies were instituted partially as a feature of the catacombs that Toady was adding as part of a more dynamic system of city layouts). Its entirely possible (although this is just speculation) that the reason why Toady is adding other types of new night creatures at the same time is that he's found some clever way to reuse some large section the code from zombies for the vampires and werewolves that he doesn't want to lose track of (in which case the detour would actually speed the overall release schedule)).
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 07:30:16 pm »

Yeah, i'd rather he gets any placeholder stuff done early, so then he can work up from there later on.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 02:31:50 am »

I'm mostly just psyched for cities. Adventurer mode is interesting for me, but there never seemed like there were enough people to me. With elves and dwarves reimplemented in adventure mode, I get to... Well, have more people to mess with.

Anyway, what Toady puts in now is stuff he doesn't have to put in later. And I'm okay with it.

Gonna go bite a turkey in the eye and shake it around.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 02:49:58 am »

I'm the post ninja.
Oh really now?
MEXICAN SHOWDOWN TIME.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 02:41:39 pm »

I don't get what the point of the thread is.  I mean, it's true, the night creatures detour has been kinda long, but it's not like Toady's tried to hide it.  Furthermore, night creatures figure heavily into the caravan arc (which isn't just about caravans, actually), as illustrated by the dev notes.

Yep the real detour is that Toady is doing a lot of these Nightcreatures first instead of finishing town centers.

But we are almost done with Nightcreatures anyway... Werecreatures and Vampires were the two big ones.

Though I guess there are... the other one. I forgot about them. Though we already got the mechanics to make them work.