Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854985 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #12525 on: February 27, 2012, 05:59:48 pm »

Im not going to make any kind of retort/response/argument to that at all, even though I really want to. I really want to get off this stupid series of circular arguments about semantics in the english language. Please.

Thing is, it's not even really about semantics, per se. When people use the word "rape" to refer to things that aren't rape, it's not about them misappropriating the word, it's about them misappropriating the concept itself by using it as a metaphor. Yeah, the semantics are important, but they're not the issue here; it's what the semantics reflect.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12526 on: February 27, 2012, 07:28:58 pm »

[redacted to stop this argument]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:33:52 pm by Virex »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12527 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:36 pm »

For the love of zombie jesus guys, this is another infinite circular debate about definitions. Please stop. We just stopped this a few days ago, please don't start again. 
Im not going to make any kind of retort/response/argument to that at all, even though I really want to. I really want to get off this stupid series of circular arguments about semantics in the english language. Please.
This is a desperate plea for some meaningful discourse on here please, about anything other than words and thier meanings.
Listen to MonkeyHead. Please.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12528 on: February 27, 2012, 07:34:41 pm »

Would "Surprise Sex" work? 

Context counts for alot when using certain words and their intended meaning.  This is why alot of words and sentences get taken "out of context" to begin with. 

Unions?  Yeah, they are not an entity that is positive for the economy going forward.  (is that neutrally worded enough to not offend anyone?)

Current laws already cover what Unions fought for originally.  Taking away Big Unions rights in regards to certain industries is not going to erode workers rights, overnight or in the future. 

Why?  Because businesses will pay what they can for a qualified or skilled employee.  Businesses will be able to actually get their own payroll costs under control so they can afford to spend more money in other areas (human resources for example).  The whole bailout fiasco involving GMC would have never happened if the Unions didn't abuse their powers to the point of effectively pricing their products out of the market range. 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:41:46 pm by NinjaBoot »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12529 on: February 27, 2012, 07:46:46 pm »

Why?  Because businesses will pay what they can for a qualified or skilled employee.  Businesses will be able to actually get their own payroll costs under control so they can afford to spend more money in other areas (human resources for example).  The whole bailout fiasco involving GMC would have never happened if the Unions didn't abuse their powers to the point of effectively pricing their products out of the market range.
That only really works in cases of worker shortage. In cases of work shortage, qualified or skilled employees are a dime a dozen (see the IT market, which was struck by this repeatedly). Of course, one could argue that this is a self-regulating system, but at what human cost?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12530 on: February 27, 2012, 08:13:32 pm »

More shenanigans regarding Falklands/Malvinasmeanings.
This is pretty silly as far as diplomatic gestures go.  I'm still not entirely sure what Argentina wants out of the discussion anyway considering that those living on the Falkland islands want to remain part of the UK.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12531 on: February 27, 2012, 08:22:42 pm »

That only really works in cases of worker shortage. In cases of work shortage, qualified or skilled employees are a dime a dozen (see the IT market, which was struck by this repeatedly). Of course, one could argue that this is a self-regulating system, but at what human cost?

That entirely depends on what you define and quantify as a human cost.  People are free to choose where ever they work, provided there is enough work to go around (and in this economy, not really). 

Unions act as sort of a barrier of entry to certain industries in that you are required to join the Union if you want a job. 

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12532 on: February 27, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »

More shenanigans regarding Falklands/Malvinasmeanings.
This is pretty silly as far as diplomatic gestures go.  I'm still not entirely sure what Argentina wants out of the discussion anyway considering that those living on the Falkland islands want to remain part of the UK.
Obviously they're just sick of all that tourist cash.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12533 on: February 27, 2012, 11:39:15 pm »

Some bullied rich white kid shot some similar students and it's a huge thing on the news. +60min to the newsday. People will be talking about this all week.

Black urban teen shot on the street? 60sec of news coverage. Forgotten and usually not brought up really.

Yeah, it's only a big, huge newsworthy "senseless tragedy," when it effects the rich white people.... Same thing with kidnappings, or other crimes. Rich white kids, newsworthy? Poor urban kids....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12534 on: February 27, 2012, 11:59:39 pm »

Some bullied rich white kid shot some similar students and it's a huge thing on the news. +60min to the newsday. People will be talking about this all week.

Black urban teen shot on the street? 60sec of news coverage. Forgotten and usually not brought up really.

Yeah, it's only a big, huge newsworthy "senseless tragedy," when it effects the rich white people.... Same thing with kidnappings, or other crimes. Rich white kids, newsworthy? Poor urban kids....

Well, if that white kid only shot one person, you'd have a point.

Also, it was a school shooting to boot, so of course they are going to give it alot of media coverage.  When have they not given school shootings alot of media coverage?   

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12535 on: February 28, 2012, 12:01:30 am »

Well, if that white kid only shot one person, you'd have a point.

Also, it was a school shooting to boot, so of course they are going to give it alot of media coverage.  When have they not given school shootings alot of media coverage?

Or....

You could look at it the other way and say they should give more of a shit about the other thing I mentioned and report on them more/at all....

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12536 on: February 28, 2012, 12:50:45 am »

I would suggest you look at the crime rates in America and their statistical breakdowns. 

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12537 on: February 28, 2012, 12:57:42 am »

Man, this is going to be good. I'm grabbing some popcorn... It's like trying to argue astrophysics with the nerdy looking guy from NASA.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12538 on: February 28, 2012, 01:31:37 am »

I would suggest you look at the crime rates in America and their statistical breakdowns.

Statistics which are just plain wrong (in the moral sense) and definitely reason that they should care more about the second case.
Love, scriver~

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12539 on: February 28, 2012, 01:42:44 am »

??? You know I'm a lawyer and how much I enjoy this particular pet peeve. May I ask what you think I'm missing about the law and criminal justice system that you've noticed? It's just too easy, and that's just what's available to you as a member of the public.... What exactly were you trying to do?

Tell you what, we'll let you have another crack at that one if you want....

There's a reason this is the response man:
Man, this is going to be good. I'm grabbing some popcorn... It's like trying to argue astrophysics with the nerdy looking guy from NASA.

Almost sigged. So close.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 852