Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855972 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #12315 on: February 24, 2012, 11:52:25 am »

Somewhat educated party: "There is absolutely a God, because I've read (some of) the Bible!"
--or--
"There is absolutely no such thing as God, because I've read Richard Dawkins!"
That's not a weighted comparison by any measure...

I don't see where you accounted for:

"There isn't a God because there isn't a Flying Unicorn of a FSM and there's no point in worshiping any of them until one or more of those comes forth."

Unless you consider me an educated scientist type.

Honestly? It sounds like you're on the upslope of the atheist bell curve. Somewhere between apathy and rational disbelief. I don't consider that the same as well-considered agnosticism. Agnosticism != "I don't know if there's a God, and I don't care."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12316 on: February 24, 2012, 02:49:51 pm »

So Arizona has decided that their students "need some skin in the game", and have passed a law stating that every student in the state must contribute at least $2000 to their education that can't be met with financial aide dollars.

Well, every student except for the ones who play football, of course. Sportsball players are specifically exempt, with the limitation that the school may only allow its MOST IMPORTANT sportsball players to be exempt - football players? Exempt. Fencers? Hah, no way. Basketball players? Exempt? Women basketball players? Probably not.

So, yeah... What the fuck is wrong with Arizona? I mean, this is a terribly law out of hand, and the exemption rules make it clear these politicians are nothing but god damned assholes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12317 on: February 24, 2012, 02:54:57 pm »

Man, you know what would be great (and probably really damn smart)? If one of Arizona's surrounding states said, "Hey! Guess what?! You come over here, scholarships and reduced cost housing! All you have to do is not go back to Arizona for a few years post graduation. Idiots back home don't want you, but we'd love some trained professionals! No one exempt in your state allowed, though. notSorry."

I'd love to see that.

Anyway, marking Arizona off my list of places somewhat colder than Florida to conceivably move to. Check ♪

What the hell reasoning are they using for the exemption, anyway, and how the blazes did they get that law through? Was that actually publicly voted on?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: February 24, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »

Details:
http://ulife.com/az-house-pushes-through-tuition-bill/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=az-house-pushes-through-tuition-bill

Even veterans aren't exempt from the increase of $2000 per year.

Only athletes.

Choice quotes:
State Rep. John Kavanagh, R-Fountain Hills, said $2,000 wasn't really that much and insisted students could graduate with $14,000 debt after four years, "less than the cost of a Chevy Sonic. And I personally believe that degrees from our universities are worth far more than Chevy Sonics"

When students testified that they have more to pay for than just tuition, state Rep. Michelle Ugenti, R-Scottsdale, told them, "Welcome to life."
Ugenti said she paid for her own apartment, her car and her food, worked full time "and still having enough time in all of that, and with all of that responsibility, to play rugby for ASU."
Obviously this is the sort of student ethic they are trying to promote here. Work, sports, cars, that's clearly the most important bits of a college education!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:05:47 pm by GlyphGryph »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12319 on: February 24, 2012, 03:03:17 pm »

That is... just... what.

EDIT: To elaborate. This bill defies understanding. I can't see how it could possibly appear defensible.  For starters, comparing the lives of students to "a game" is not going to sound good when they campaign for reelection. Beyond that, the actual policy is political suicide - asking middle class families to fork over an extra 2000 bucks in a way you can't bury is not going to make them appreciative, and for everyone else it amounts to a blatant endorsement of class warfare.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:10:44 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #12320 on: February 24, 2012, 05:08:54 pm »

So Arizona has decided that their students "need some skin in the game", and have passed a law stating that every student in the state must contribute at least $2000 to their education that can't be met with financial aide dollars.

Well, every student except for the ones who play football, of course. Sportsball players are specifically exempt, with the limitation that the school may only allow its MOST IMPORTANT sportsball players to be exempt - football players? Exempt. Fencers? Hah, no way. Basketball players? Exempt? Women basketball players? Probably not.

So, yeah... What the fuck is wrong with Arizona? I mean, this is a terribly law out of hand, and the exemption rules make it clear these politicians are nothing but god damned assholes.

This belongs in the Rage thread.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12321 on: February 24, 2012, 05:25:02 pm »

House Democrats  introduced their own reproductive rights plan: No more vasectomies that leave "thousands of children ... deprived of birth."
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/21/georgia-democrats-to-propose-limitations-on-vasectomies-for-men/

The bill reads:
"It is patently unfair that men avoid the rewards of unwanted fatherhood by presuming that their judgment over such matters is more valid than the judgment of the General Assembly. ... It is the purpose of the General Assembly to assert an invasive state interest in the reproductive habits of men in this state and substitute the will of the government over the will of adult men."

It's as a response to a piece of Republican legislation targeting women.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: February 24, 2012, 05:27:30 pm »

inb4 the Republicans pick up the anti-vasectomy bill as an example of how bipartisan they are.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12323 on: February 24, 2012, 05:53:13 pm »

Honestly? It sounds like you're on the upslope of the atheist bell curve. Somewhere between apathy and rational disbelief. I don't consider that the same as well-considered agnosticism. Agnosticism != "I don't know if there's a God, and I don't care."
That's where Dawkins lies, so you'd have to be doing something pretty dramatically wrong to read him and end up further on than that.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12324 on: February 24, 2012, 06:46:47 pm »

House Democrats  introduced their own reproductive rights plan: No more vasectomies that leave "thousands of children ... deprived of birth."
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/21/georgia-democrats-to-propose-limitations-on-vasectomies-for-men/

The bill reads:
"It is patently unfair that men avoid the rewards of unwanted fatherhood by presuming that their judgment over such matters is more valid than the judgment of the General Assembly. ... It is the purpose of the General Assembly to assert an invasive state interest in the reproductive habits of men in this state and substitute the will of the government over the will of adult men."

It's as a response to a piece of Republican legislation targeting women.

So how long before masturbation is considered in the same light as vasectomies, by applying the same flawed logic?
This is a blank sig.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12325 on: February 24, 2012, 06:53:34 pm »

It's supposed to be sarcasm, I think
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12326 on: February 24, 2012, 06:56:36 pm »

My god are they serious? Like, are they fucking serious? They can't be serious. It is irony, or sarcasm or something. My mind is just blown beyond... No words can ever, ever describe this feeling of rage, bemusement, confusion and lulamerica. It is like somebody coming up to you and saying they have the right to rape you in the name of the General Assembly, on the basis that the General Assembly's interest in your reproduction is more important that your own.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: February 24, 2012, 06:58:16 pm »

No Max, they aren't serious. It's a satirical joke bill meant to insult a recent anti-abortion bill introduced in that state.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: February 24, 2012, 07:00:28 pm »

A very clear piece of satire aimed to parody the Republican's recent bill.  I mean comon.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: February 24, 2012, 07:01:51 pm »

Ah, irony. Well done then, good gentlemen!  :D
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 852