Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856186 times)

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #12270 on: February 24, 2012, 01:46:09 am »

You ask me, would you stick with an unfaithful wife? 

When did having a career become being unfaithful?

When did it?  You seem to be trying to combined two statements into one? 

Oh, wait, you think I said having a career makes them unfaithful and not implying that sleeping around and being a general whore is bad (dear me), and that having a parent (whether male or female) stay home to help raise the child is generally a good thing. 

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12271 on: February 24, 2012, 01:46:20 am »

Doesn't everyone tend to think that way?
Well take for example the abortion debate we had not long ago. Pro-life is forcing people into making the same choice that the pro-life supporter would take, while pro-choice is allowing people to choose for themselves.

The opposite side of the same coin to pro-life would be a tribunal that has the right to force an abortion is they deem the potential parent(s) to be unable to fill their paternal obligations. That would be forcing somebody into taking the same choice you would make, rather than allowing them to make their own, and we can all agree in this example it is some what draconian.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12272 on: February 24, 2012, 01:48:12 am »

When did having a career become being unfaithful?

Oh, wait, you think I said having a career makes them unfaithful and not implying that sleeping around and being a general whore is bad (dear me), and that having a parent (whether male or female) stay home to help raise the child is generally a good thing.
What did you mean by the unfaithful wife comment if not that having a career is unfaithful?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12273 on: February 24, 2012, 01:48:37 am »

I was trying to find any relevant connection between your statements and obviously failing.

Why did you quote EveryZig if your were just going to segway into a completely unrelated topic?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12274 on: February 24, 2012, 01:48:56 am »

Then go ask any married or single mother where they think they should be.  "At home taking care of my kid."  is probably the response you will hear the most.

And this means what exactly?

That when women have a child their outlook on life changes? 

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12275 on: February 24, 2012, 01:51:31 am »

Not every woman wants a career.  Does this make them less of a "woman" by choosing to raise their children and be a good wife?
But then again we are talking about the right wing aren't we? Aren't they characterised by their belief that any choice they make that is best for them is best for everybody?
Doesn't everyone tend to think that way?
In case that wasn't sarcasm, no, actually. Depending on how meta you allow the sentiment to become. I suppose I'm guilty of thinking that making your own decisions is best, including accepting the decisions of other people, and have attempted to get people to think that way as well (even if their ultimate decision is to reject my reasoning). At that point, though, I feel like it's a tautology for anybody who takes any kind of action at all. EDIT: It's a tautology to argue that everyone thinks their way is best, if that includes thinking that other people's ways are best.

Not every woman wants a career.  Does this make them less of a "woman" by choosing to raise their children and be a good wife? [emphasis added]
Are you saying that they need to stay at home to be a good wife?
You're saying a wife needs to stay at home in order to be faithful?
If you read marriage licenses carefully, you'll find that women are actually married to their homes, and being inside another building is equivalent to adultery (with an exception made for grocery stores and shopping malls, but only for short excursions under two hours).

One of these two responses to quotes is composed entirely of sarcasm. I hope that which one is which is clear.

EDIT:
Okay, I can't let this slide. You made a statement,

Does this make them less of a "woman" by choosing to raise their children and be a good wife? 

This statement indicates that "choosing to raise their children" and "be a good wife" are a unit, and that the only sufficient condition for achieving this good is to not have a career. What does prostitution have to do with anything we were talking about? There were no whores involved until you brought them up. Now we are doomed to spend the rest of this thread drowning in whores as a topic of discussion.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:53:45 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12276 on: February 24, 2012, 01:54:00 am »

That when women have a child their outlook on life changes? 

And this effects a woman's right to make decisions in their own life how? Unless you were just making another non sequitur again.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12277 on: February 24, 2012, 01:56:31 am »

I was trying to find any relevant connection between your statements and obviously failing.

Why did you quote EveryZig if your were just going to segway into a completely unrelated topic?

People need to grow a pair and call me out on what they think I am wrong in arguing about, then I wouldn't have the need to go off topic so much addressing the pithy one-line comment-questions! 

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12278 on: February 24, 2012, 02:01:14 am »

People need to [...] call me out on what they think I am wrong in arguing about
People just did call you out on a specific issue (the faithfulness comment being unrelated to anything).

If you are upset about going off topic, what is your stance?
Soaplent green is goblins!

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12279 on: February 24, 2012, 02:15:19 am »

People need to [...] call me out on what they think I am wrong in arguing about
People just did call you out on a specific issue (the faithfulness comment being unrelated to anything).

If you are upset about going off topic, what is your stance?

Seeing as how my original statement was in regards to how Woman are supporting Santorum, and apparently by doing that they are self-misogynists? (according to Descan)

I pointed out that no, not all woman feel this way.  They often feel that raising their child is in their best interests (blame society's outlook on raising children for that).  Why is that?  Well, go ask your mother for one thing.  She'll probably say the same thing.  Go ask any mother, married or single, and they'll probably tell you the same thing.  I also stated that no, not every single woman believes in a career, and this is due to many a factor: upbringing, economic situation, whether they have a child or not, and so on. 

As for me personally, it doesn't matter if it is a woman or man staying at home to raise the child, as long as the situation lets one or the other raise the child in a situation that benefits them as a family. 

Now in regards to a relationship, yes, a woman (and man) should stay faithful, period.  This is even if she is a stay-at-home mom or a working mom.  Can't teach your kids to be respectful of the other sex if your cheating on your significant other you know!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12280 on: February 24, 2012, 02:21:08 am »

Now in regards to a relationship, yes, a woman (and man) should stay faithful, period.  This is even if she is a stay-at-home mom or a working mom.  Can't teach your kids to be respectful of the other sex if your cheating on your significant other you know!

And who exactly brought up faithfulness? As far as I can tell, the first mention of faithfulness was you responding to a post about women leaving the house, which is quite a jump to make, and not one that fills me with confidence.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12281 on: February 24, 2012, 02:28:25 am »

And who exactly brought up faithfulness? As far as I can tell, the first mention of faithfulness was you responding to a post about women leaving the house, which is quite a jump to make, and not one that fills me with confidence.

I thought I would include that little tid-bit to hopefully clarify any misinterpretations!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12282 on: February 24, 2012, 02:31:21 am »

Misinterpretations of what, exactly? People misinterpreting women 'having careers and hobbies outside of childrearing' as anything but being unfaithful to their husbands?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12283 on: February 24, 2012, 02:34:19 am »

I think it is sexist in general to say 'Women have X role', implying that it would differ between women and men. If a woman wants a career, she can go for it, and if a guy wants to stay at home and look after the kids, best of luck to him!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12284 on: February 24, 2012, 02:37:04 am »

The thing is, if the mother doesn't work, has no real fiscal freedom, she is completely reliant on her husband for everything. Which leads to some very bad situations.

Not working also tends to make people miserable, and child rearing may start out as a full time job, but it starts taking up less and less time as you get older. What do you do to fill in the rest of the time?
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 852