Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856192 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #12255 on: February 23, 2012, 11:33:57 pm »

???

Moving right the hell on....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/rick-santorum-winning-more-support-from-republican-women/2012/02/22/gIQAPDJjWR_story.html

How? What...? Why?
... he is less unpopular — and also less well known — among Democratic and independent women than his Republican rivals Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich.
I notice that yet again there is a name missing here.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12256 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:54 pm »

The first rule of Republican Primary Season is WE DON'T TALK ABOUT RON PAUL.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12257 on: February 23, 2012, 11:40:14 pm »

You don't really have that option. Paul's followers are unstoppably tenacious, and he himself isn't much of a slouch either.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12258 on: February 24, 2012, 01:27:11 am »

These are the women that -agree- that a woman's only place is in the home, Truean. Don't forget that. Self-misogyny and all that.

Edit for Clarity. :D

As much as it pains me to point this out to you, yes, a lot of woman do believe their place is in the home raising their children. Key words being raising their children.  Not every woman wants a career.  Does this make them less of a "woman" by choosing to raise their children and be a good wife? 

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12259 on: February 24, 2012, 01:28:46 am »

These are the women that -agree- that a woman's only place is in the home, Truean. Don't forget that. Self-misogyny and all that.

Edit for Clarity. :D

As much as it pains me to point this out to you, yes, a lot of woman do believe their place is in the home raising their children. Key words being raising their children.  Not every woman wants a career.  Does this make them less of a "woman" by choosing to raise their children and be a good wife? 
It appears your brain has replaced the "Only" in the first quote with "Their"

Going by the original context, yes. Yes it does.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12260 on: February 24, 2012, 01:31:39 am »

I left out 'only' because while they feel their place is in the home raising their child (if they have one), it is not their only place, because hey, woman are just as capable as men! 

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12261 on: February 24, 2012, 01:34:29 am »

So you were honestly asking if we thought that a woman is self-misogynistic if they choose to be a homemaker? That's actually pretty silly and not at all related to anything that's being discussed.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12262 on: February 24, 2012, 01:35:08 am »

I left out 'only' because while they feel their place is in the home raising their child (if they have one), it is not their only place, because hey, woman are just as capable as men! 
So I'm not sure what you're objecting to, other than a sentiment that was not expressed.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12263 on: February 24, 2012, 01:36:09 am »

As much as it pains me to point this out to you, yes, a lot of woman do believe their place is in the home raising their children. Key words being raising their children.
There is a rather important difference between 'a woman's place' and 'their place' (as an individual). One is deciding for yourself, the other is deciding for a large group of people.

Not every woman wants a career.  Does this make them less of a "woman" by choosing to raise their children and be a good wife? [emphasis added]
Are you saying that they need to stay at home to be a good wife?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12264 on: February 24, 2012, 01:39:24 am »

Not every woman wants a career.  Does this make them less of a "woman" by choosing to raise their children and be a good wife?
But then again we are talking about the right wing aren't we? Aren't they characterised by their belief that any choice they make that is best for them is best for everybody?

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12265 on: February 24, 2012, 01:40:19 am »

As much as it pains me to point this out to you, yes, a lot of woman do believe their place is in the home raising their children. Key words being raising their children.
There is a rather important difference between 'a woman's place' and 'their place' (as an individual). One is deciding for yourself, the other is deciding for a large group of people.

Good point, duly noted!

Not every woman wants a career.  Does this make them less of a "woman" by choosing to raise their children and be a good wife? [emphasis added]

You ask me, would you stick with an unfaithful wife? 

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12266 on: February 24, 2012, 01:41:35 am »

Not every woman wants a career.  Does this make them less of a "woman" by choosing to raise their children and be a good wife?
But then again we are talking about the right wing aren't we? Aren't they characterised by their belief that any choice they make that is best for them is best for everybody?
Doesn't everyone tend to think that way?

You're saying a wife needs to stay at home in order to be faithful?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12267 on: February 24, 2012, 01:42:20 am »

When did having a career become being unfaithful?

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12268 on: February 24, 2012, 01:43:28 am »

Then go ask any married or single mother where they think they should be.  "At home taking care of my kid."  is probably the response you will hear the most.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12269 on: February 24, 2012, 01:45:07 am »

Then go ask any married or single mother where they think they should be.  "At home taking care of my kid."  is probably the response you will hear the most.

And this means what exactly?
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 852