Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856883 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11985 on: February 22, 2012, 03:01:19 pm »

The GOP is not crazy.

This should be like required reading or something.  Seriously.

I've been trying to push this kind of attitude in regards to various issues for a long time.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11986 on: February 22, 2012, 03:02:31 pm »

It was unethical to ignore AIDS because it was only a "gay disease," so it didn't matter until it was too late.

Every anti-abortion believer out there is a person who believes that women should not have control over their reproductive systems.  I don't think she's just talking about people who are anti-abortion.  She's talking about the specific behavior of the GOP.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11987 on: February 22, 2012, 03:09:28 pm »

That's deceptive really: they believe that there's a life being taken, and it isn't justified solely by the fact that it's inside a woman who has to carry it around for 9 months. It's nothing against women, and those who would try to make it out to be are being dishonest.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11988 on: February 22, 2012, 03:13:18 pm »

That's deceptive really: they believe that there's a life being taken, and it isn't justified solely by the fact that it's inside a woman who has to carry it around for 9 months. It's nothing against women, and those who would try to make it out to be are being dishonest.

I think it can be any mixture of both, depending on the individual.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11989 on: February 22, 2012, 03:16:28 pm »

It's devaluing the woman over the fetus. So yeah, it is at least in part against women.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11990 on: February 22, 2012, 03:17:19 pm »

... there's also the fact that, yanno', not allowing abortion is, in fact, saying that women should not have control over their reproductive systems. Whether it's coached in terms of saving life or not is irrelevant to that, specifically. All the whole 'saving life' thing is saying is that the assumed life is worth more than the woman's control over her own body.

That's somewhat a defensible position, but only if you assume the potential life is worth more than the person's choice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11991 on: February 22, 2012, 03:18:10 pm »

And those who are against both Abortion AND Birth Control?

I don't think you can argue that stance as pro-life, at all - it's specifically "women shouldn't be allowed control over whether or not they give birth or get pregnant"

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11992 on: February 22, 2012, 03:19:07 pm »

So, this is about the concept of self-ownership. The idea that people are the sole proprietors of their own body, at least.

If people own their bodies and whatever might be growing in it, then do people say, have the right to sell a kidney? How about both kidneys?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #11993 on: February 22, 2012, 03:21:11 pm »

I think, yes, it is a defensible position if you allow abortion when there are extenuating circumstances and take it as a conclusion from the axiom that life is the highest priority, all things considered. That, at least, is my position (and unlike many others who share my opinion, I'm against the death penalty, for the same reason. A pro-life leftist? what's that?)

The real problem is that I do think modern culture has become a bit too casual about its sex life, and it's a biological pity that it isn't the guys that end up carrying the shame and/or unwanted results of being mansluts at least equally to their female counterparts.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11994 on: February 22, 2012, 03:22:30 pm »

Montague - a right to ownership does not imply a right to distribute freely on the market. Why would you even conflate the two?

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11995 on: February 22, 2012, 03:27:10 pm »

Montague - a right to ownership does not imply a right to distribute freely on the market. Why would you even conflate the two?

Why not? If you own your body, internal organs included, then you are entitled to do whatever you like with it, assuming you don't intrude on other people's rights and all that. Why would the rights afforded by self-ownership stop at the point where there is a price tag involved?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11996 on: February 22, 2012, 03:29:07 pm »

Heck, why can't the government force you to give up your spare kidney or chunks of your liver, when there's people going without and dying--even children?  Because it's an invasive and painful, life-threatening sort of thing?

Oh... wait!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11997 on: February 22, 2012, 03:30:57 pm »

Well, the article seemed to stress contraceptives more then even abortions, so I don't think it is unfair to say that the people it was talking are sorta like that.

What I mean is, anti abortion is a defensible point of view (at least, in my eyes as a morality thing), but anti contraceptives really is not. At least for and against reasonable people. And, given that, the conclusion of the article seems accurate enough, I feel that it fails to give the benefit of stupidity (or rather a lack of thought about ones own beliefs.)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11998 on: February 22, 2012, 03:32:49 pm »

Why would the rights afforded by self-ownership stop at the point where there is a price tag involved?
For the same reason the right to ownership of your car stops being an "everything is legal" excuse when you start running over children with it?
Because laws governing commerce don't restrict autonomy. Because when it starts involving the relationship between you and another person, it is no longer about autonomy. Might as well argue that we should have the right to murder other people, because autonomy means I can put my knife holding hand wherever I want.

It's a stupid non sequiter of a straw man - organ selling has zilch to do with autonomy, as far as I can tell, and you've made no case for it at least.

You know you are, legally, allowed to give away your kidneys, right? It's simply illegal for the other person to buy them. Since they have no right to autonomy over your body, the issues really aren't related.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11999 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:47 pm »

Heck, why can't the government force you to give up your spare kidney or chunks of your liver, when there's people going without and dying--even children?  Because it's an invasive and painful, life-threatening sort of thing?

Well, right. The government cutting you up for spare parts is completely contrary to the concept of self-ownership and individual rights.

So are you saying the government, or community has a right to an individual's body in any circumstance? Or in no circumstance?

You know you are, legally, allowed to give away your kidneys, right? It's simply illegal for the other person to buy them. Since they have no right to autonomy over your body, the issues really aren't related.

No, obviously stabbing somebody with a knife is intruding on that person's right to live. Individual rights goes right along with self-ownership.

A sale would be a mutually consenting thing. How does buying an organ infringe on a person's autonomy if it was a voluntary exchange? Who is being harmed in this situation? How would accepting a donated kidney differ?
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 852