Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856810 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11955 on: February 22, 2012, 01:11:26 am »

Really?
No, i don't care, are we done on political correctness now and can focus on better issues?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11956 on: February 22, 2012, 01:13:08 am »

Guys, guys.

Just, y'know. In advance.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11957 on: February 22, 2012, 01:13:34 am »

No, i don't care, are we done on political correctness now and can focus on better issues?
No, you must suffer through political correctness debates until the end of time. This is your punishment for that time, you know what you did.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11958 on: February 22, 2012, 01:21:30 am »

No, you must suffer through political correctness debates until the end of time. This is your punishment for that time, you know what you did.
Yea i sat in a corner being the only asian-looking kid in a rural elementary school,  my fault ::)
Get over it and try focusing on fixing life not words. I got better things to worry about like another impeding invasion by my stupid country or how the EU is burning Greece to the ground.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11960 on: February 22, 2012, 01:23:22 am »

Come on, y'all.  I know it's been a rough day, but let's not get all tetchy now.  Tomorrow will be better.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11962 on: February 22, 2012, 01:28:20 am »

There is an awful lot of people belly-aching about political correctness and lengthening the argument thereby, yes.  I agree that the argument was way too long, and I agree that maybe both sides should have just called it a day far sooner, but I think that complaining about an argument that went on too long as a way of shortening the argument is a bit ridiculous.

So hey, I'll stop now.  Let's take it easy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11963 on: February 22, 2012, 01:46:47 am »

Excuse me if my Latin is a little broken, but... Ad Hominem est malus. Peace and tranquility for all, and all that.

Richard Shitfoam Rick Santorum is starting to speak out against prenatal screenings, saying that they are part of a plan to kill disabled babies. Does that even happen?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11964 on: February 22, 2012, 01:49:42 am »

What was it... 70% of Down's fetuses are aborted?

So, yeah.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11965 on: February 22, 2012, 01:51:55 am »

Oh, well, that's a shame, I guess. Down's is a bit hard to deal with for a parent, though, so I can see the rationale.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11966 on: February 22, 2012, 01:56:59 am »

Well, anyway, it's stupid to say "women are put in situations where they can't take care of children with disabilities, so we're going to force them to have the children with disabilities for reasons of ~discrimination~, rather than making society livable/navigable for people with disabilities and their loved ones."

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11967 on: February 22, 2012, 04:02:52 am »

Yes. Basically people don't care about tangible concerns, but only how they personally feel about them.

Feel bad about how X is, and how that leads to Y horrible consequence. Rather than fix X, just impose Z to make yourself feel better without fixing anything.

X
1.) No one taking care of people with disabilities
2.) No one taking care of people with depression
3.) Pick one

Y
1.) People aborting babies with disabilities
2.) People killing themselves
3.) Pick one

Z
1.) Force disabled people to live without proper care so you don't have to deal with their preventable deaths.
2.) Outlaw suicide even though clearly there's nothing you can do when they're dead. (Also blame depressed people).
3.) Pick one

I sense have blatantly shown a pattern.

I know it's a cracked article, I know, but it's surprisingly well written.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11969 on: February 22, 2012, 05:36:45 am »

All four items in that cracked article are pet peeves of mine, but #2 is the absolute worst.  It's the one that even people I really respect as normally intelligent and understanding fall into.  It's a fucking cop out that people abuse for their convenience.  I don't know how many millions of times I've had an otherwise insightful conversation ruined because I want to explore the cause behind some behavior, and otherwise totally awesome person takes a massive dump on it with some response like "Well we're talking about X type of person and X type of person is Y."  I just want to rip off the top of their skulls and scream directly into their brains "THAT IS NOT A REAL ANSWER."  It even happens often enough here, in this very thread, but I let it pass when I know that there is personal baggage involved.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 852