Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856956 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11895 on: February 21, 2012, 04:00:21 pm »

*continues "joke" with use of "goths" in anything other than its proper Visigoth/Ostrogoth Goethe Germanic context...*

Or to "Welch" on a deal or bet. Curse you Anglo-Saxons, comparing my people to the untrustworthy.
This is a blank sig.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11896 on: February 21, 2012, 04:07:10 pm »

We also have a train wreck of a TV show called "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding"
Arrrggghhh don't remind me.  It's pretty much straight-up racism.  I mean I guess Channel 4 do the same horrible thing with plenty of working class white people but that doesn't make it any better.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11897 on: February 21, 2012, 04:17:46 pm »

I'm moderately annoyed at the use of the racist stereotype word 'Vandal' to describe property damage.

Sadly, it's even used in the text of laws, news reports, etc.

*continues "joke" with use of "goths" in anything other than its proper Visigoth/Ostrogoth Goethe Germanic context...*

Or to "Welch" on a deal or bet. Curse you Anglo-Saxons, comparing my people to the untrustworthy.

Let's act like the Romani people aren't an extant people and don't actually face serious prejudice, and make ridiculous jokes about it. That sounds like a great way to defuse the situation.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11898 on: February 21, 2012, 04:39:50 pm »

You know, since the Welsh are actually a minority group, one could make a case against this (assuming the Welch are the Welsh). I wouldn't be fine with associating the Welsh with untrustworthiness.

As for the Vandals and Goths, as far as I know there is no remaining Vandal or Goth identity (at least not in that sense), so in this case there would be no reason to avoid using the words out of fear of hurting someone.

On a similar note, is Hooligan still an existing surname?

So basically the greeks are a pawn in a grand scheme to make EU citizens broke?
The goal is to make some people rich (predominantly the banks). I don't think they even realize this goes at the costs of other's wallets.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:42:42 pm by Virex »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11899 on: February 21, 2012, 04:52:01 pm »

Thing is, the reason why the word made its way into the English language is that my bronze age, iron age, dark age and medieval ancerstors were led by a loooooong succession of pretty devious/untrustworthy/backstabbing bunch of assorted petty warlords and powerful provincial lords/princes wich pissed off the Anglo Saxons and Normans for the best part of 500 to 700 years, and did the same to the Romans before them. Its not exactly undeserving. Of course, this hardly justifies the near millenia of opression that arose, but my ancestors were hardly alone in being under an imperial yoke for a large portion of its history. Thankfully our culture and language survived, probably as a reaction to the many efforts made to crush our identity.

So, yea, basically, - is Imperialism good for cultural diversity in the long term? I mean, the modern identities of India, the USA, Australia, heck, many other nations have been created as a result of it. Will Iraq or Afghanistan be better off for the intervention than if they were left well alone?
This is a blank sig.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11900 on: February 21, 2012, 04:55:29 pm »

Imperialism isn't the only way to affect other cultures, you know. Obviously the modern identities of many places is different due to imperial influence, but who's to say it would be worse without it?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11901 on: February 21, 2012, 05:02:24 pm »

Imperialism isn't the only way to affect other cultures, you know. Obviously the modern identities of many places is different due to imperial influence, but who's to say it would be worse without it?

Well, yes, but in the case of the defunct British Empire it was very much a case of "arrive, overpower, and overwrite", in the same way that most of modern Europe was given shape (geographically and politically) by the Romans. Such levels of influence are not really apparent in the modern world, for pretty obviour reasons, clearly for the better in terms of opression.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:15:13 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #11902 on: February 21, 2012, 06:57:22 pm »

I wasn't joking or being sarcastic about being annoyed by the abuse of the Vandal name. It has bothered me for many years, the talk about Gypsies just reminded me about it.

Anyway, my understanding of the phrase "Welch on a bet" described English bettors fleeing the country (to Wales) to avoid paying; it's like calling American Vietnam war draft dodgers "Canada runners" or something.

Still a term best avoided, just like 'Ni__ardly' for being a cheapskate (don't tell me 'cheapskate' is racist in some way...) as it's too easily mistaken in intent.

I'm torn on Goth, I think that the style is a tribute to that culture, and don't see it as insulting, but I don't know much about the original Goths.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11903 on: February 21, 2012, 07:10:15 pm »

Niggardly has a totally separate etymology, though

You've got to pay attention to when and where you use it, but I think that most people who are educated enough to know that it means "miserly" are also educated enough to know that it doesn't come from, well... that word.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11904 on: February 21, 2012, 07:11:39 pm »

Man, I missed the 10 page debate on word choice? And it's apparently still going on because 2 replies were posted while I was typing this up.

Everyone agrees that the meaning of words change over time. "Gay" no longer means "happy" or "joyful" to most people. Also, words can mean different things depending on local common usage; "arse" is a very tame word for butt in the USA while "ass" is the stronger word, but the situation is flipped in the UK (last I heard; I don't live there).

So then, why do people cling to offensive definitions of words who have, at least in part (and in some cases, almost entirely) moved past that? Fear of offending the random passerby that might carry the old (or different) definition is a fine reason, but that does not mean these words can never be used in a non-offensive manner. Context and audience are vastly important, and it's quite foolish to ignore them. I can say "gypped" where I live without being offensive because almost no one here realizes the original meaning behind that word. To them (and to me until a couple years ago), it's just a synonym for being ripped off. I'm not going to cling to the old definition and claim it's the only "right" one, any more than I'm going to try and correct people into using "gay" to mean happy or joyful. Words to not become locked in place eternally due to one of their possible definitions being offensive. If that were the case, you'd have to stop using words like "barbarian" due to their historical context, as well.

You wanna play it safe and not use certain words to the possibility of misinterpretation? Be my guest; that's a mature thing to do. What's not mature is to get offended when you damn well know the speaker did not intend the offensive definition. Applying value judgements to symbols and not what they represent is goddamn ridiculous.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11905 on: February 21, 2012, 07:38:47 pm »

Man, I missed the 10 page debate on word choice? And it's apparently still going on because 2 replies were posted while I was typing this up.

Everyone agrees that the meaning of words change over time. "Gay" no longer means "happy" or "joyful" to most people. Also, words can mean different things depending on local common usage; "arse" is a very tame word for butt in the USA while "ass" is the stronger word, but the situation is flipped in the UK (last I heard; I don't live there).

So then, why do people cling to offensive definitions of words who have, at least in part (and in some cases, almost entirely) moved past that? Fear of offending the random passerby that might carry the old (or different) definition is a fine reason, but that does not mean these words can never be used in a non-offensive manner. Context and audience are vastly important, and it's quite foolish to ignore them. I can say "gypped" where I live without being offensive because almost no one here realizes the original meaning behind that word. To them (and to me until a couple years ago), it's just a synonym for being ripped off. I'm not going to cling to the old definition and claim it's the only "right" one, any more than I'm going to try and correct people into using "gay" to mean happy or joyful. Words to not become locked in place eternally due to one of their possible definitions being offensive. If that were the case, you'd have to stop using words like "barbarian" due to their historical context, as well.

You wanna play it safe and not use certain words to the possibility of misinterpretation? Be my guest; that's a mature thing to do. What's not mature is to get offended when you damn well know the speaker did not intend the offensive definition. Applying value judgements to symbols and not what they represent is goddamn ridiculous.

You mean that editor who got fired for using the headline "Chink in the Armor" after Jeremy Lin's win-streak with the Knicks was stopped?   

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11906 on: February 21, 2012, 08:13:40 pm »

Wow, people take their political correctness seriously.

I find it sort of ironic that progressives work to stifle the use of words relating to ethnic groups while the conservatives work to stifle the use of every other generally offensive term.

It's great both sides can come together for the cause of eroding freedom of speech, though, seriously. Perhaps someday we can get everybody to think the same if we can simply control the speech they use to communicate ideas.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11907 on: February 21, 2012, 08:17:44 pm »

The government should stay the hell out of free speech.

That does not mean that we have no obligation to speak morally.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11908 on: February 21, 2012, 08:24:02 pm »

Part of that is not saying offensive things

The other is not choosing to take offense where none was meant.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11909 on: February 21, 2012, 08:34:18 pm »

The Goth was one of the two largest tribes of modern Sweden (the other one being the Swedes), living in southern quarter of the country (an area then and now called "Gothia"), and yeah, we still exist. The Visi- and Ostrogoths of the Black Sea just emigrated there from modern Sweden.

Incidentally, my name means "Staff of the Goth".

Also, like has been said so many times before, we understand Max was ignorant of what he was saying and nobody here was offended by it. We were just trying to get him to understand that what he said was offensive.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 852