Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856999 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11880 on: February 21, 2012, 03:11:55 pm »

I think there's a world of difference between taking offence when somebody uses bigoted language when talking directly to you and when talking to somebody else within your earshot.

Also, I think making words taboo just gives them more power, hijacking their meaning is where it's really at.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:13:44 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11881 on: February 21, 2012, 03:13:23 pm »

Personally, I'm torn between not causing offence, which is undeniably right, and making words not offensive, which is also a good thing.

When it comes to reappropriation of words about a given group, isn't it fair to let the actual group do it? That seems most appropriate, and also seems to work best.

I think there's a world of difference between taking offence when somebody uses bigoted language when talking directly to you and when talking to somebody else within your earshot.

In this case, it wasn't really either. These are forum threads, for group discussion. Things aren't done in terms of strict one-to-one communication.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11882 on: February 21, 2012, 03:13:35 pm »

OK CAN WE GET ON TO MORE IMPORTANT THINGS THAN POLITICAL CORRECTNESS?
How about the EU economic crisis or how Santorum somehow just shot up in the polls.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11883 on: February 21, 2012, 03:15:59 pm »

The EU thing is just depressing to talk about, and the Santorum Surge is covered by the election thread.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11884 on: February 21, 2012, 03:16:42 pm »

Yeah but the former isn't really progressivism is it? Economics and politics, to be sure, but that's a different thing. Unless I'm missing part of the discussion. And we have an election thread :P

Why am I doing this I actually agree that the whole thing has blown up to a ridiculous degree

EDIT: Ninja'd
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11885 on: February 21, 2012, 03:18:54 pm »

In this case, it wasn't really either. These are forum threads, for group discussion. Things aren't done in terms of strict one-to-one communication.
Cutting off previous line of conversation to pounce at one specific word that was used is bad netiquette, IMO. And we get that ALL the time here with political correctness discussions. Though to be fair this *is* Vector's thread, so meh, you win this one, Batman.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11886 on: February 21, 2012, 03:20:37 pm »

Yeah but the former isn't really progressivism is it? Economics and politics, to be sure, but that's a different thing. Unless I'm missing part of the discussion. And we have an election thread :P

Why am I doing this I actually agree that the whole thing has blown up to a ridiculous degree

EDIT: Ninja'd
I dunno im throwing any topic right now to rerail it, how about scientists are considering throwing everything we know about diets and restart from scratch?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11887 on: February 21, 2012, 03:21:52 pm »

I'd argue that the EU economic thing is very much a topic for progressivism. Because it's being handled in a way that seems to invoke the North-South power divide. Almost all the troubled countries are the southern, Mediterranean ones, and it's the northern countries (particularly Germany) that hold the balance of power in the situation and are demanding repeated and increasingly harsh austerity measures, and even going so far as to establish an escrow account for the Greek government "to ensure that the primary use of the money is to pay creditors before paying the Greek government".

There's also the fact that if you think about it....Greece is being used as a funnel to move money from EU citizens to EU banks. Banks are the primary creditors of Greece, and the citizenry of the EU are ultimately the ones footing the bill. The Greeks aren't benefitting at all.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11888 on: February 21, 2012, 03:23:28 pm »

So basically the greeks are a pawn in a grand scheme to make EU citizens broke?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11889 on: February 21, 2012, 03:24:01 pm »

Cutting off previous line of conversation to pounce at one specific word that was used is bad netiquette, IMO. And we get that ALL the time here with political correctness discussions. Though to be fair this *is* Vector's thread, so meh, you win this one, Batman.

Sometimes one specific word can be important enough to make note of. Also, it was Max's idea to move it to this thread in the first place.

For what it's worth, I've spoken to one Australian so far in order to ask them if the word "gypsy" has connotations regarding the ethnicity there. They specifically said: "well I guess in some ignorant shithole it could have no relation at all to the ethnicity but not everywhere". I was just curious, so... yeah. The notion that it has no relation to the ethnic group in Australia is pretty much bunk, apparently, at least for Australia as a whole.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:26:11 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11890 on: February 21, 2012, 03:26:03 pm »

tists are considering throwing everything we know about diets and restart from scratch?

Since a great many of them know far less than they think they do, this would mostly be a step up. Seriously, though, science. Scientists. So many of them are so terrible, makes me rage all the time, reading studies and the YOUR CONCLUSIONS ARE NOT SUPPORTED BY YOUR EXPERIMENTS.

When they even bother.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11891 on: February 21, 2012, 03:27:48 pm »

I live in an area with a very, very high Asian population, and there's a perfectly usable other word.  Sterilizing language of virulent racial slurs... ?  Yeah, I'm gonna do that.

As far as pretentiousness goes, yeah, I'm a rhetorical showoff--but the thing I think people don't realize is that I make myself far more miserable with this than I've ever tried to make anyone else.  My standards for others are high, my standards for myself are high, and I spend very little time patting myself on the back and a whole lot of time trying to figure out how to be good.  The only thing I even criticize others for (honestly, as opposed to random stupidity-rage outgassed into the net) is hurting other people...

Oh, and yes, the current argument was not an argument I picked.  It's an argument I'm trying to end, because I saw it taking up so many pages in here.

Santorum somehow just shot up in the polls.

Maybe because he now also wants to ban prenatal testing for birth defects.  Hurray.

Women and water.

This is important.  Give 'er a read.  It'll only take a minute.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11892 on: February 21, 2012, 03:32:23 pm »

Huh. Any idea what the cost projections are for even semi-modernizing (Like, I'unno, aqueducts!) water transportation and sanitation in the areas in question?

I'm thinking... maybe next year, no superbowl, and we just go and build them. Let it be American Sport Fan's Great Charity Act of the New Millennium.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11893 on: February 21, 2012, 03:37:48 pm »

I'm thinking... maybe forever, no superbowl, and we just go and build them. Let it be American Sport Fan's Great Charity Act of the New Millennium.
Fixed.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #11894 on: February 21, 2012, 03:56:13 pm »

I'm moderately annoyed at the use of the racist stereotype word 'Vandal' to describe property damage.

Sadly, it's even used in the text of laws, news reports, etc.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 852