Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857093 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11865 on: February 21, 2012, 02:35:53 pm »

There's a reason why I said that "Traveler" is the broadly accepted term of respect for nomadic peoples.  It's not connected to any one ethnic group, it never has been, and it has absolutely zero negative connotations or even additional stereotypes attached.

And yes, this argument is incredibly stupid, and I'd really appreciate it if Max White didn't make arguing with him a zero sum game.  We had this argument about the word "gay" before--remember that, Max?  You and I went at it for hours.  It'd be nice if you extrapolated from that instance and, at the very least, said "Well, I'll think about it," rather than "Let's argue until every fiber and iota of my being is convinced that you are right."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11866 on: February 21, 2012, 02:39:25 pm »

You know i wonder if a global debt pardon will ever happen. No one owes shit to anyone on a exact moment. Far-fetch? yes. Incredibly stupid? yes. Could it work? maybe.
The problem is that you would have to do so without anyone knowing about it beforehand. Otherwise, they'd max out their debt in a heartbeat.
Or if you made it known that it was going to happen, but were vague about exactly when, no one would lend ANY money and you'd have a massive credit crunch like we saw in the US in 2008-09.

The obvious solution is to turn the upcoming Olympic Games into some kind of debt resolution mechanism. Every time your country beats another country in a particular sport, you negate 5% of your national debt to that country.

America! I have the solution to our debt crisis!  :P
Holy shit that can work,
Save the country by waving that big dick far in the air! :P

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11867 on: February 21, 2012, 02:40:22 pm »

There's a reason why I said that "Traveler" is the broadly accepted term of respect for nomadic peoples.  It's not connected to any one ethnic group, it never has been, and it has absolutely zero negative connotations or even additional stereotypes attached.

And yes, this argument is incredibly stupid, and I'd really appreciate it if Max White didn't make arguing with him a zero sum game.  We had this argument about the word "gay" before--remember that, Max?  You and I went at it for hours.  It'd be nice if you extrapolated from that instance and, at the very least, said "Well, I'll think about it," rather than "Let's argue until every fiber and iota of my being is convinced that you are right."
Yea that was also fun. Can't remember how that one finished... Would read last two posts, but 6:30 am, time for sleep, maybe? If not a shower and breakfast...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11868 on: February 21, 2012, 02:41:20 pm »

Yeah, that's why I'd mentioned general use -- I've never actually seen "Traveler" used as a group identifier before (while having ran into that entire sundry list of synonyms, yeah). Maybe/hopefully it's picking up in usage and can stay fairly clean for a while.

Doesn't have much zing to it, though :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11869 on: February 21, 2012, 02:44:07 pm »

Man, I just love it when people get offended on behalf of other people.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11870 on: February 21, 2012, 02:48:00 pm »

It really gets my blood boiling when people use the word "lame" to describe things in a negative light. It's highly offensive to people with certain physical disabilities which I don't actually have >:(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11871 on: February 21, 2012, 02:49:40 pm »

Man, I just love it when people get offended on behalf of other people.

Man, I just love it when people say shit about me and everyone else stands by, giving tacit agreement.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11872 on: February 21, 2012, 02:53:02 pm »

Fight yer own battles.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11873 on: February 21, 2012, 02:54:50 pm »

Yeah, it's a touchy subject either way.

What I get from all this is not to use the word gypsy in Europe, even if it's got a different meaning elsewhere. (much like the term mexican in southern US)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11874 on: February 21, 2012, 03:01:14 pm »

Fight yer own battles.

My battle is the fight for human decency, for human flourishing.  This is my battle.

What I get from all this is not to use the word gypsy in Europe, even if it's got a different meaning elsewhere. (much like the term mexican in southern US)

And yeah, I think a lot of this is really about consideration for people in a global context, not about local usages--though with the current level of immigration, it seems like it's probably best practice to follow global standards as possible.

For an example of my own part of this, I'm currently working to stop saying "kaffir lime."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11875 on: February 21, 2012, 03:03:43 pm »

Be nice, folks. We're all awesome here, and language is a messy thing.

For an example of my own part of this, I'm currently working to stop saying "kaffir lime."
...seriously?  ??? I mean, I know what kaffir means, but is that really a problem?

Next, we'll stop saying Devil's advocate because it implies you're in league with Satan. I'm not fond of sterilizing language.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11876 on: February 21, 2012, 03:05:15 pm »

My battle is the fight for human decency, for human flourishing.  This is my battle.
That's a bit pretentious, don't you think?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11877 on: February 21, 2012, 03:07:27 pm »

And yeah, I think a lot of this is really about consideration for people in a global context, not about local usages--though with the current level of immigration, it seems like it's probably best practice to follow global standards as possible.

Thing is, I'm not even from Europe, yet I and other people from the US (both on and off this thread) are well-aware of the word's association with the ethnic group, and I, at least, am familiar with active stereotyping and prejudice toward them in the US, even if it doesn't come up very often. So I'd say this is the kind of thing that doesn't even rely on the concept of "global context" quite as much as one might think, although it's certainly still relevant.

That's a bit pretentious, don't you think?

Maybe, but it's also commendable. Stereotyping and prejudice often don't occur directly in front of the targets of such behavior, and it's important to make it clear that such behavior isn't okay. If someone is saying terrible, misogynistic things to me, for example, I'm not just going to let it slide because I'm not a woman; I'd rather let him know that even other men can think it's not okay. Just to give an example. This is even more true when the targets of the behavior aren't really in a position to say anything as a result of being in some way underprivileged.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11878 on: February 21, 2012, 03:07:44 pm »

Personally, I'm torn between not causing offence, which is undeniably right, and making words not offensive, which is also a good thing.

And this is the first time I've heard the word "kaffir lime". Round here they just  call em lebu.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11879 on: February 21, 2012, 03:10:16 pm »

Motion: Lock the thread for a day before this brings Toady down here and he locks it forever. This is getting way, way too heated.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 852