Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857208 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11805 on: February 21, 2012, 12:09:16 pm »

... Oh, there's Roma people in the US, or at the very least Travelers (I didn't ask the people whose camp we passed which ethnicity they were).

So yes, this linguistic discussion is highly relevant.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11806 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:50 pm »

... Oh, there's Roma people in the US, or at the very least Travelers (I didn't ask the people whose camp we passed which ethnicity they were).

And, perhaps more relevantly, any Roma anywhere in the world (that speaks English, at least) will interpret "Gypsy" as referring, at least in part, to their people. Yes, Even Australia.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11807 on: February 21, 2012, 12:19:13 pm »

In exchange for the "rescue", Greece will appoint an EU elected group that will have veto power over executive budget decisions, and also make sure that the first priority for those funds is to pay the interests of the Greek debt.

So remind me again: who are the European countries behind this rescuing exactly? Greece? Or Germany?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11808 on: February 21, 2012, 12:20:08 pm »

I should probably let this die, but here's a question though: for the most part, their lifestyle DOES involve constant travelling. So to that extent, using the word "gypsy" as a shorthand for "person who is constantly travelling and is not settled down"....

It's like using "Amish" as a synonym for "Luddite". I mean, if there's any ethnic group in the US that gets parodied and poked fun at for their culture, it's the Amish. It's usually a good-natured sort of ribbing, but it is pervasive. But it's because for the most part, the stereotypes are true (at least among the old-school Amish who still reject modern technology and communications).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11809 on: February 21, 2012, 12:25:45 pm »

I should probably let this die, but here's a question though: for the most part, their lifestyle DOES involve constant travelling. So to that extent, using the word "gypsy" as a shorthand for "person who is constantly travelling and is not settled down"....

• Even if it's a necessary part of their culture, I'd say it's wrong to use a term for a people (in this case, "gypsy") to refer to one specific part of their culture (in this case, traveling).
  • Not all Romani people travel, especially not these days.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11810 on: February 21, 2012, 12:49:39 pm »

Ok it has been like an hour and I still can't fall asleep, but hey, had a little time to think.
You know what the problem is? Not the way we perceive the word gypsy, that is sort of irrelevant really. Be it a traveller or dirty baby snatcher, that is beside the point.

The problem is relating gypsies to a specific race. That is racism. When I say gypsy, if you think I am talking about a race of people, that is racist. That is like saying that all gypsies are this race of people. So If every time I type gypsy you read it as Roma, or any other race of people, you have a problem, because not all Roma's are gypsies, so why would you relate them like that? And not all gypsies are Romas, so once again, why are you making this connection?

I never said anything about the Romas, I was talking about gypsies. I can draw you a Venn diagram showing where the two groups over lap and where they don't.
This means that even if their is a perception of gypsies as fortune telling robbers, if you introduced a Roma person to me, I wouldn't think of them as a fortune telling thief, because there is no assurance that as a Roma person, he is a gypsy.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11811 on: February 21, 2012, 12:53:14 pm »

You'd still be a bigot, though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11813 on: February 21, 2012, 12:54:54 pm »

I wasn't talking 'bout black people, I was just talking about niggers. If you think "niggers" means all black people or even just black people, that's your problem, not mine!

Seriously - Max, are you just being stubborn at this point, or what?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11814 on: February 21, 2012, 12:57:05 pm »

But nigger has a some what clear definition as a black slave, and we can all agree that "slave" is not a very positive term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy
Gypsy, however, refers to at least 9 groups of people, and has multiple definitions, including
4. A person who moves from place to place as required for employment, especially:
a. A part-time or temporary member of a college faculty.
b. A member of the chorus line in a theater production
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Gypsy

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11815 on: February 21, 2012, 12:58:48 pm »

I wasn't talking 'bout black people, I was just talking about niggers. If you think "niggers" means all black people or even just black people, that's your problem, not mine!

That's actually a line of argument you'll hear surprisingly often in the US. And while I understand what that line of argument is trying to say....yeah, I see what you mean.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11816 on: February 21, 2012, 01:02:59 pm »

That's actually a line of argument you'll hear surprisingly often in the US. And while I understand what that line of argument is trying to say....yeah, I see what you mean.
Said line of argument, as far as I can tell, was created by the Chris Rock routine "Niggas vs. Black People" (It even has it's own wikipedia article.) Chris Rock himself does not perform this routine anymore, as he believes it makes racist people believe they can use the word freely.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11817 on: February 21, 2012, 01:03:19 pm »

Seriously - Max, are you just being stubborn at this point, or what?
I have this nasty habit of debating until I honestly feel I have been corrected.
While I understand that there is a context where one might take offence to its use, I do not yet feel the word is taboo and without context where it is acceptable.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11818 on: February 21, 2012, 01:04:21 pm »

But nigger has a some what clear definition as a black slave, and we can all agree that "slave" is not a very positive term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy
Gypsy, however, refers to at least 9 groups of people, and has multiple definitions, including
4. A person who moves from place to place as required for employment, especially:
a. A part-time or temporary member of a college faculty.
b. A member of the chorus line in a theater production
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Gypsy
Do you really feel like you have to defend your right to use a word that's commonly used as a bigoted slur? Even if you technically have the right to use it, what does exercising that right say about you? (Note, I'm not telling you you were wrong in using it before, after all you didn't know it was wrong)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11819 on: February 21, 2012, 01:06:07 pm »

Fuck can be used as a slur, yet given the right settings, I won't hesitate to use it. Just because something can be used as a slur, doesn't mean it always it.
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 852