Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857799 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11550 on: February 18, 2012, 05:37:12 pm »

Plus, if someone wants to fire you and they're smart they don't give a reason so you can't sue them. "You're services are no longer required.". They have no legal obligation to give you a job for life. Or, they give another vague reason like "poor performance."

In the US they need to make up an excuse that it is your fault, that way they do not have to honor the unemployment insurance you payed into.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11551 on: February 18, 2012, 05:38:52 pm »

Actually I'm pretty sure they do need a reason to fire you. Unlawful termination, and all that.

That's not to say you can't be fired for really petty stuff when there's a different, real motive behind it, of course.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11552 on: February 18, 2012, 05:39:12 pm »

I could write an entirely true book about shit people do to transgendered individuals and most of it would violate the COC of this website....
DO IT.  No really :(  If people don't know, then they need to know.  You can publish under an assumed name or as anonymous.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #11553 on: February 18, 2012, 05:54:24 pm »

Actually I'm pretty sure they do need a reason to fire you. Unlawful termination, and all that.

That's not to say you can't be fired for really petty stuff when there's a different, real motive behind it, of course.

In most of the US anyone can be fired for any reason, or no reason. But if they can make it look like you were incompetent, then they don't have to pay out on unemployment insurance.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: February 18, 2012, 06:13:45 pm »

In most of the US anyone can be fired for any reason, or no reason. But if they can make it look like you were incompetent, then they don't have to pay out on unemployment insurance.

Yes, this. "At will employment." That "make it look like you were at fault," thing only applies if you even qualify for unemployment.... :) Things are neither rosy, nor fair.... Even if you're fired for a prohibited reason, like race, religion, national origin, or sex, then you've gotta prove it.... Good luck, cause you'll need it. And, hey, after all, you're "clearly" faking it and just stirring up trouble, because "everyone knows that's all just bullshit...." :( Yeah.... Problem.

I could write an entirely true book about shit people do to transgendered individuals and most of it would violate the COC of this website....
DO IT.  No really :(  If people don't know, then they need to know.  You can publish under an assumed name or as anonymous.

Never underestimate the most powerful obstacle in society, human apathy/stupidity. "I don't give a shit." "I don't feel like it." "So what?" "Doesn't effect me." And those are from the people who aren't bigoted.... These people know half the world is starving and they don't care about that, or blame the starving people. Why would they care about this? After all, "just don't be gay...."
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:18:21 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11555 on: February 18, 2012, 06:49:26 pm »

Never underestimate the most powerful obstacle in society, human apathy/stupidity. "I don't give a shit." "I don't feel like it." "So what?" "Doesn't effect me." And those are from the people who aren't bigoted.... These people know half the world is starving and they don't care about that, or blame the starving people. Why would they care about this? After all, "just don't be gay...."

Yeah, I've got a lot of liberal friends who just don't care enough to do anything beyond wearing a purple shirt on LGBT purple shirt day. Chick-Fil-A is bigoted? So what, their chicken is too good to give up.

These people don't care enough to give up going to a single fast food restaurant.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: February 18, 2012, 06:50:49 pm »

Argh, damnit. It is?

Hadn't heard about that. Which means another one struck off the list. CFA for bigotry, McD and BK for supporting slavery. Anything else I should know to avoid?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: February 18, 2012, 06:51:50 pm »

Chocolate in general. Child slave labor.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: February 18, 2012, 06:53:36 pm »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: February 18, 2012, 06:58:50 pm »

To be fair, there are very, very few large businesses that don't have closets overflowing with both skeletons and fresh corpses.  The prospect of making a serious effort to support only companies with a clean ethical record is quite overwhelming, and is the main reason that many voluntarily adopt freeganism as a lifestyle choice.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: February 18, 2012, 06:58:51 pm »

Yeah, I've got a lot of liberal friends who just don't care enough to do anything beyond wearing a purple shirt on LGBT purple shirt day. Chick-Fil-A is bigoted? So what, their chicken is too good to give up.

These people don't care enough to give up going to a single fast food restaurant.
Chick-Fil-A isn't even that great anyway. Their spicy chicken sandwich is decent at best.
Chocolate in general. Child labor.
Nestle is the big offender there.
Argh, damnit. It is?

Hadn't heard about that. Which means another one struck off the list.
Yeah, there's a reason that Chick-Fil-A is always closed on Sunday. The company owners are rather extreme fundamentalists, or something like that.
McD and BK for supporting slavery.
I don't know about supporting slavery, but I do know that I actually can't eat their food anymore. I think I've developed some Pavlovian connection between McDonalds/Burger King and physical illness, as I always find myself sick a few hours after eating their food. Hence why I stopped.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11561 on: February 18, 2012, 07:06:07 pm »

Nah, McD and BK gets parts or somethin' from at least one of the major private prison companies in the US. Said company has at least some facilities where "medically able" prisoners are forced to do stuff like electronics assembly for pennies on the hour -- work that would give better than minimum wage outside their compounds. Penal slavery, basically. It's pretty infuriating all around.

Chick-Fil-A isn't even that great anyway. Their spicy chicken sandwich is decent at best.
Like their fry-things and their chicken nugget-whatsits are basically the least offensive chicken nugget-whatsits I've ate from a fast food place. No more, I guess.

Is there... is there just like a list, somewhere, of food providers that are performing moral atrocities? I'm running out of choices, here :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11562 on: February 18, 2012, 07:08:00 pm »

I think you're almost completely limited to farmers markets and small, family owned restaurants.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: February 18, 2012, 07:10:01 pm »

... so maybe tiered, or something? Most of the farmers markets within driving distance of where I'm at are populated by bigots of varying shades, ditto for family owned restaurants. Currently do most food shopping at walmart, whose worst major offense I've noticed are sickening hiring practices.
Ask not!
Ask!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11564 on: February 18, 2012, 07:13:30 pm »

Ooooh ho ho ho... Wal-Mart is guilty of so very much more than that.  They've been a huge driving force in shaping much of modern America from the economy to urban sprawl.

Edit:  And that's without studying whose products you're actually buying at Wal-Mart.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:15:45 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 852