Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857872 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11520 on: February 17, 2012, 02:12:21 pm »

I'm not really seeing anything racist in the article, he's mostly citing statistics.
I haven't read the article yet, but note that it's easy to be racist with pure facts, by selecting the "right" facts and omitting the "wrong" ones.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11521 on: February 17, 2012, 02:17:46 pm »

However, since most of his facts are mostly about how the majority of whites aren't as smart, hardworking, religious, or stable as people make them out to be, and one of their more racist fears is unsupported... yeah.

He's definitely a bit stupid, but he might BE racist, but the article itself doesn't seem to be.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11522 on: February 17, 2012, 02:21:18 pm »

As I said, I haven't read the article yet. I was just warning against believing people on their word just because they cite facts. Always ask yourself what facts they're citing and more importantly, what facts they aren't citing.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11523 on: February 17, 2012, 02:32:10 pm »

And also whether or not they are actually facts. (Something the article certainly doesn't try very hard to prove, now that I think about it)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11525 on: February 17, 2012, 08:29:01 pm »

At least the only person he killed was himself. -1 drunk driver, +1 world.

And I'm very much aware how viciously cold that is, yes. Still mean it. There's few acts short of murder that's quite as likely to get other people killed as DUI. I give thanks he only killed himself. Glad he'll never get another chance to do that, in all honesty. The sentiment extends to all drunk drivers.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11527 on: February 17, 2012, 09:53:19 pm »

So Virginia is basically advocating medical rape of women who want an abortion.
Seriously? There are no words for this. If you're going to go and do that, then men should have urethral soundings before their partners have abortions. But of course, that would be an invasion of bodily privacy.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11528 on: February 17, 2012, 10:02:32 pm »

"What are Women For?"
There, the metaphysical trouble kicked up by the elective killing of fetuses was relegated to the realm of life’s cosmic mysteries — a place liberals contemptuously deride as beneath human dignity when referenced in terms of the suffering of the crucified Christ.
I dunno, I find it hard to get angry if I can barely comprehend what they're trying to say.

The court’s solution was to bend to the public reality that millions of women had altered what it meant to be a woman — and what status that meaning conferred — by having or supporting abortions.
I mean, I'm pretty sure this is bad and implying women exist just to give birth, but again I can't really follow his train of logic so it's hard to say.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:04:27 pm by Leafsnail »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11529 on: February 17, 2012, 10:03:34 pm »

Yeah, that's about as fucking disgusting as I've seen in a fair bit. I actually hadn't realized thats what was required to do an ultrasound that early in a pregnancy (I don't know anyone that's had one done willingly that early, because honestly, what hell's the point? Mostly just a blob at that stage, from what I understand.), but with that bit added on... s'sick. Was bad enough before, but that's bloody frakking sick.

"What are Women For?"
Can someone break this one down for me, though? I have no idea what the hell point or statement it's trying to make.

The concept of people being for anything, regardless of gender, seems really g'damn weird to me. Existence before essence et al.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:05:33 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11530 on: February 17, 2012, 10:13:00 pm »

"What are Women For?"
Can someone break this one down for me, though? I have no idea what the hell point or statement it's trying to make.
And here I thought it was just me having trouble understanding what he was trying to say.

Glad to know I'm not going crazy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11531 on: February 17, 2012, 10:16:25 pm »

No, no, not just you. That thing either needs some kind of background level of concept exposure, citations and footnotes, or just much, much great clarity. Heraclitus is easier to read that that.

E: Which isn't to say it's not saying something important... maybe. Just that any teacher I've ever had would have beat that person across the head and shoulders with a writing guide of some sort... and possible a tree branch.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:20:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11532 on: February 17, 2012, 10:24:54 pm »

"What are Women For?"
Let's play a game: take a drink everytime the article says "Liberal" and take two when you get lost in the purple pose

Well, they were already mentally and emotionally raping them, I guess they're just taking the whole nine yards

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11533 on: February 17, 2012, 10:25:16 pm »

From what I understood of that article, the left isn't united on women's rights and abortion, what happens to aborted fetuses was relegated to the realm of 'cosmic mysteries' which ironically is that same realm that liberals hate and despise if its a Christian cosmic mystery. There's a split between 'old-school modern liberals' and 'postmodern liberals', with postmodern liberals saying that liberals don't get to 'define their gayness for them' and no one has yet to find an answer to the question of 'what are women for?' that is, they've not found a way to 'fully grasp, translate, and reconcile them in the context of our political life.' Also, if we accept that women are naturally closer to nature, women's rights would improve.

So actually, there's nothing to understand.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:31:31 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11534 on: February 17, 2012, 10:30:52 pm »

Well the article is certainly irritation and annoyance worthy, that's for sure.
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 852