Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857972 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11475 on: February 16, 2012, 04:03:29 pm »

Medical Degree is one of the few that still seems to be. Though its still a long, hard road.

Also, Truean, he's absolutely right! You DO need to work less - by working so hard and so long, you're stealing all the opportunities from the other lawyers!

Mind you, you'll be fired if you followed his advice, but if EVERYONE did, we'd probably all be a lot better off.

A medical degree is still usually a good bet, especially an M.D. I've heard questionable things about nursing though.

They don't want my opportunities/couldn't restrain themselves from shooting many of my clients in the head. :P

It's not like they can actually do it. The Supreme Court ruled back in 1970 that all Americans had a right to access birth control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griswold_v._Connecticut

A poorly written law written by morons that only punished morons.... See you couldn't have birth control, (condoms, pills, whatever), for preventing pregnancies but you could have it for "preventing disease."

So in the fairly unlikely event you were, [ahem] caught in the act of violating of this law all you had to say was "we're preventing disease officer...." :P. Yes. Really. Even the dissent from Justice Stewart famously called the Connecticut statute "an uncommonly silly law."

So that was thankfully turned over and this was what established the judicially recognized right to privacy in the constitution. It is an unlisted, implied right. Morons think this is just people making stuff up/that we should stick to the plain text of the constitution. I reply, then nobody has the right to vote, because that's never listed either, but it is implied (even the amendments about voting don't grant the right to vote, but only say if you're going to let people vote, then you can't deny that on the basis of _____). Implied rights, they either exist or no one can vote.... Yeah....

http://twitpic.com/8kqt00

The GOP doesn't need any females testifying about birth control....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:07:58 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11476 on: February 16, 2012, 04:06:40 pm »

What sort of birth control are they talking about, anyways? Condoms?

This isn't a bitter ideological struggle over who foots the bill for 0.20$ condoms is it?

Or is it some principle of the matter? Does 'birth control' cover free partial-birth abortions or something? Then I can understand why the Catholic hospitals would be apprehensive about that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:14:11 pm by Montague »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11477 on: February 16, 2012, 04:08:23 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11478 on: February 16, 2012, 04:10:18 pm »

It's not like they can actually do it. The Supreme Court ruled back in 1970 that all Americans had a right to access birth control.
They're not talking about banning birth control, they're talking about not allowing any insurance plan pay for it, especially plans that are paid for by religious organizations (which is what touched off this latest skirmish in the Culture Wars).
I would argue that making it prohibitively expensive to buy birth control counts as denying your right to access it.
I suspect the counterargument would be that there is no legal barrier to access, and that is what the SC intended. We all have the right to access higher education in this country, but not necessarily the ecnomic wherewithal to do so.

I also suspect they'd argue that poor people just have poor priorities and if birth control is that important to them, they should buy less beer and cigarettes and more condoms.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11479 on: February 16, 2012, 04:11:00 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griswold_v._Connecticut
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenstadt_v._Baird

That too, but a.) the basis for it was (officially or unofficially) Griswold_v._Connecticut and b.) that one is more fun to write about. :P

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #11480 on: February 16, 2012, 04:15:21 pm »

Apparently in my state you don't need a J.D. to be a licensed lawyer, just pass the exam; my attorney friend thinks he could coach me through it in a couple months. (I already help him research cases, in addition to being his IT guy)

good idea/bad idea? I think worst case is I'm out the exam fee.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11481 on: February 16, 2012, 04:15:49 pm »

I want to get in to medical research, toward limb regeneration, augmentation, and most importantly, anti-aging treatments.

So no one has to die.

Of course, I'm gonna be spending a few years in a hospital as a medical practitioner, plus some months interspersed once I get in to research, but I'm not interested in the money beyond enough to live. 60-80 thousand dollars a year sounds enough to live in Toronto semi-comfortably.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11482 on: February 16, 2012, 04:17:22 pm »

I want to get in to medical research, toward limb regeneration, augmentation, and most importantly, anti-aging treatments.

So no one has to die.

Of course, I'm gonna be spending a few years in a hospital as a medical practitioner, plus some months interspersed once I get in to research, but I'm not interested in the money beyond enough to live. 60-80 thousand dollars a year sounds enough to live in Toronto semi-comfortably.
Do it man, this is what we need today, a fucking cure not a treatment.

Apparently in my state you don't need a J.D. to be a licensed lawyer, just pass the exam; my attorney friend thinks he could coach me through it in a couple months. (I already help him research cases, in addition to being his IT guy)

dude where do you live? i want a license :P

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11483 on: February 16, 2012, 04:25:42 pm »

http://lawandletters.blogspot.com/2007/11/why-you-shouldnt-go-to-law-school.html also applies for why you shouldn't be a lawyer in general.

There are a couple states that do this. California? The bar exam is hell and many people who have gone to law school fail multiple times. I somehow passed it on the first try. Many of my friends did not. Studying for it is hell. It will be all you will do; you will have dreams nightmares about it. A review course from Barbri or Supreme Bar Review will cost you at least $4000 for a basic package. This includes going to several classes which are annoying as hell. You will hate it; everyone does. Moreover, the stuff you learn for your state's bar exam may not have any relevance to real life practice of law.  How much do you enjoy torturing yourself?

That doesn't even take into account the "character and fitness" stuff. Basically be prepared to turn over hundreds if not thousands in fees to the state for that to in theory make sure you're not an ax murder. In reality it is a massive pain and little is accomplished. This will however, take literally months in my experience. They advise law students in Ohio to begin the application process in their second year, because it takes that long.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:27:59 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11484 on: February 16, 2012, 04:28:07 pm »

http://lawandletters.blogspot.com/2007/11/why-you-shouldnt-go-to-law-school.html also applies for why you shouldn't be a lawyer in general.

There are a couple states that do this. California? The bar exam is hell and many people who have gone to law school fail multiple times. I somehow passed it on the first try. Many of my friends did not. Studying for it is hell. It will be all you will do; you will have dreams nightmares about it. A review course from Barbri or Supreme Bar Review will cost you at least $4000 for a basic package. This includes going to several classes which are annoying as hell. You will hate it; everyone does. Moreover, the stuff you learn for your state's bar exam may not have any relevance to real life practice of law.  How much do you enjoy torturing yourself?
Shit i was gonna represent the occasional drunk bastard but fuck that now i'll just keep representing myself thank you>_>

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: February 16, 2012, 04:33:44 pm »

I have a medical degree. Things are far better than in other fields, I think. I start a residency in may (I might or might not stay since a cold made me do the exam worse than I expected, so my choices are more limited than I expected given my performance at simulations, but it's still a decent score and I hope to still be able to pick hemato at a decent hospital. If that fails I'll likely retake, because the other options I dont personally find that interesting -which is not to say that they are bad. They're just not that relevant to my interests. There are a couple of specs that interest me, and others that dont.). Besides that, there's always the temp jobs as the doctor or a workplace, or shifts at the ER. So yeah, things look decent enough, in general, in the professional sense. Certainly better than for other scientific degrees.

Re: research:  biologicals are expected to be in 80% of treatment protocols in a medium term, so maybe excepting primary care specialities, there should be chances to see interesting things in pretty much any field, so go for a speciality that you find interesting in general. That aside, hematology is one of the most cellular biology oriented specialities. And in the hospital of the university where I studied, the dept of Cell Therapy was headed by a hematologist (I suspect that given the nature of the field this is not unlikely to happen elsewhere). But yeah, all paths lead to Rome. Yamanaka and Anthony Atala are two prominent stem cell researchers, and they are respectively an orthopedic surgeon (which is a very nice speciality in which many interesting breakthroughs are taking place) and an urologist. So TL,DR, see what speciality you like best on a day-to-day basis, and work your way to research from there. That's what I intend to do, anyhow.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:40:25 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11486 on: February 16, 2012, 04:34:37 pm »

Shit i was gonna represent the occasional drunk bastard but fuck that now i'll just keep representing myself thank you>_>

You're welcome; there are numerous reasons I'm always jaded and generally pissed off. This is one of them. Anyone who truthfully claims to be an attorney that isn't trying to look good for a client is probably miserable, especially if young. Also drunk bastards have a tendency to spit on or do worse things to police....

Come, join my profession.... It has more horror to spare than the contents of Snooki's past. Cthulhu's got nothin' I haven't seen.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:37:42 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: February 16, 2012, 04:36:36 pm »

So no one has to die.

And when our population explosion gets twice as bad because there's no natural death rate, I'll remember who brought that dystopia about.

EDIT: Sorry, that probably came off more harsh than intended. Let's just say that life-extension is a double-edged sword.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11488 on: February 16, 2012, 04:39:03 pm »

You're welcome; there are numerous reasons I'm always jaded and generally pissed off. This is one of them. Anyone who truthfully claims to be an attorney that isn't trying to look good for a client is probably miserable, especially if young. Also drunk bastards have a tendency to spit on or do worse things to police....

Come, join my profession.... It has more horror to spare than the contents of Snooki's past. Cthulhu's got nothin' I haven't seen.
Well i mean i would reason with the DA that he won't do it again or tell the drunk hes fucked no matter what i do :P

Can't be the nice guy eh?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: February 16, 2012, 04:40:35 pm »

And when our population explosion gets twice as bad because there's no natural death rate, I'll remember who brought that dystopia about.
Then we'll just start distributing that aspirin.
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 852