Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858304 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11355 on: February 15, 2012, 04:25:36 pm »

Well my memory or my history books from high school were wrong, then!

And you knew what I meant. Banned from being instigated by school authorities. I know prayer is still allowed in cases such as Muslims getting breaks for their prayers each day and student organized prayers at sporting events/etc.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11356 on: February 15, 2012, 04:27:14 pm »

Although, a school is allowed to ban student religious organizations.....but only if they ban all student organizations.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11358 on: February 15, 2012, 04:40:41 pm »

I know prayer is still allowed in cases such as Muslims getting breaks for their prayers each day and student organized prayers at sporting events/etc.
And there's not and never have been, yanno', strictures against letting a little one go of your own volition, so long as it's not class disrupting.

That'd be the personally annoying bit about the whole thing, that insinuation that the lack of official support is somehow an attempt to censor personal speech (beyond what it's already censored as per regular school operation). It's viciously disingenuous and overtly misrepresentative of what's actually happening, played off as some kind of attack on personal spirituality (or rather Christianity in particular, but these tend to be the same people that are probably pissed off about Muslims getting a break their kids don't.), which it isn't and never has been.

S'just kinda' annoying.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11359 on: February 15, 2012, 04:41:34 pm »

I think the real problem with many religious groups is their total failure to recognize that people who do not believe what they do have value, and often a lot of value that has nothing to do with religion.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/15/mormons-apologize-for-posthumous-jewish-baptism/

What the hell do you mean someone thought it was ok to "make someone a part of their faith," both without consulting them and after they were dead? <---- Beyond offensive, completely and absolutely unacceptable/you should be sued if the world were a just place so you'd get the point to butt out. In this particular case, we're talking about Jewish Holocaust survivors who were murdered because of their religion having someone try to change that religion after death.... The practice itself is incredibly insensitive to other people and this particular incident is a vomit-inducing level of wrong. They and others like them died or nearly died due to their faith, so it's somehow ok to change their faith without even asking them?

No, either you're 100% no excuses, no anything wrong, or I've now made you a member of the flying spaghetti monster church. Didn't consent to it and don't like it? Neither did those dead Jewish people.

I just frankly have gotten sick of being told what I am is an "abomination" or a "sin," by people who I don't particularly feel are very moral in the first place. I just don't wanna hear it anymore. Fine, say it if you've gotta but not around me and not about me (especially given that the stuff about me is usually incredibly negative for no reason).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:43:12 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11360 on: February 15, 2012, 04:46:17 pm »

Perhaps of note, in the Mormon faith, those rituals are considered void if the person in the afterlife doesn't actually consent to them. It's more of a "just in case" thing.

Due to baptism being required to enter heaven, they do it to absolutely everyone they can get a name for. Most of the time they do ask for consent from descendants, though, so that surprises me somewhat.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11361 on: February 15, 2012, 05:57:04 pm »

-stuff about post mortem babtism-
Well, besides from being insensitive jerks, it doesn't hurt anything.
While on their side they believe they are right, so if you have a baptism (even after death, although I don't know if god would care about that or once your destination is decided if it matters what happens on earth), even a 1/1000 chance of a person not going to hell (or leaving hell for heaven) because of it seems to justify the jerk part entirely.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11362 on: February 15, 2012, 06:09:11 pm »

While on their side they believe they are right, so if you have a baptism (even after death, although I don't know if god would care about that or once your destination is decided if it matters what happens on earth), even a 1/1000 chance of a person not going to hell (or leaving hell for heaven) because of it seems to justify the jerk part entirely.

A completely undefined chance of a positive effect of an action justifies being a jerk? Cool. What if I decide that me punching you in the face will send you to Heaven when you die? Or that swearing at people on the street will do the same for them? Would it justify those actions too?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11363 on: February 15, 2012, 06:19:41 pm »

A friend just shared this with me.  Coincidentally, it looks like a good time to share it here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Disclaimer:  I'm not anti-religious.  Just anti-dogmatic-zealot.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11364 on: February 15, 2012, 06:25:31 pm »

Don't forget Mitt Romney posthumously baptising his dead, atheist father in law.  I'm not sure if it's so much being a jerk as being completely crazy, to be honest.

EDIT: Maybe not an atheist according to his son, but definitely strongly anti-organized religion.  Including Mormonism.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:34:27 pm by Leafsnail »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11365 on: February 15, 2012, 06:33:17 pm »

A completely undefined chance of a positive effect of an action justifies being a jerk? Cool. What if I decide that me punching you in the face will send you to Heaven when you die? Or that swearing at people on the street will do the same for them? Would it justify those actions too?
If you knew that punching me would save me a infinite amount of pain then yes, anything besides punching me would be a terrible thing to do.

Obviously there has to be limits, because almost everyone is guaranteed to be wrong about religion (because only a single group can be right), but the case in question is just them being jerks and not hurting anybody, or even really having any affect besides making some people outraged (and while slightly disrespectful, not really that bad at all compared to the legions of other worse things that crazier religious people do).
A friend just shared this with me.  Coincidentally, it looks like a good time to share it here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Disclaimer:  I'm not anti-religious.  Just anti-dogmatic-zealot.
Thats pretty epic.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11366 on: February 15, 2012, 06:40:18 pm »

If you knew that punching me would save me a infinite amount of pain then yes, anything besides punching me would be a terrible thing to do.
Y'know what?  If you're gonna do something like punch someone in the face, I expect you to actually have well backed up reasoning for why you think it will save them from infinite pain.  Faith isn't sufficient if you're gonna do things that will massively offend or hurt people.

Obviously there has to be limits, because almost everyone is guaranteed to be wrong about religion (because only a single group can be right), but the case in question is just them being jerks and not hurting anybody, or even really having any affect besides making some people outraged (and while slightly disrespectful, not really that bad at all compared to the legions of other worse things that crazier religious people do).
I dunno, the families of the "converted" could be pretty distressed by people screwing around with their loved one's soul.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11367 on: February 15, 2012, 06:44:59 pm »

A friend just shared this with me.  Coincidentally, it looks like a good time to share it here.[...]
Yeah, i read that one online back in the 90's! I really like the insult at the end ...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11368 on: February 15, 2012, 06:59:18 pm »

A friend just shared this with me.  Coincidentally, it looks like a good time to share it here.[...]
Yeah, i read that one online back in the 90's! I really like the insult at the end ...

Didn't know it was that old.  Surprised I haven't encountered it before, if so.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11369 on: February 15, 2012, 07:04:46 pm »

Further of note for the mormon baptism thingy, the baptisms can be done after the rapture, they just do some now in order to presumably reduce some of the paperwork needed later. So doing said baptism here and now isn't really required, and as such they can avoid the insensitivity without damning people.

Going with the punch in the face analogy, it'd be perfectly fine to not punch them in the face now and wait until the after the end to save them (by punching them in the face).
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 852