Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858458 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11265 on: February 14, 2012, 02:53:44 pm »

It gets "better". Apparently this "Agenda 21" conspiracy theory is being used all over the country at the local level to block sustainable development efforts, or even basic infrastructure upgrades. You know, like the kind that the stimulus package was supposed to pay for. Which then makes it look like Obama is directly funding these nefarious plots. OMG HE'S ONE OF THEM.

NY Times article here.

Of course, the fact that such remarkably boilerplate opposition is springing up simultaneously in so many different places tells you all you need to know. This is an orchestrated astroturfing campaign.

Echoing other protesters, Ms. McCoy identified smart meters, devices being installed by utility companies to collect information on energy use, as part of the conspiracy. “The real job of smart meters is to spy on you and control you — when you can and cannot use electrical appliances,” she said.

Translated: "Technology is scary! Fucking smart meters, how do they work? They're spying on my preciously bodily fluids!"  ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11266 on: February 14, 2012, 03:16:21 pm »

.... That's beyond stupid.

The City of Cleveland Division of Water is horrible and largely because no one wants to really pay for people to do a good job. They need to send people out to actually read the damn meters and they don't.

I've literally had to sue these sons of bitches over charging someone for using water in a house that had the copper plumbing stolen.... There was no water flowing into the house because it was shut off/physically impossible for that house to use water. The notion of a smart meter using telemetry to read the damn meter over a computer would totally get rid of this stupidity. To be fair, I've known meter readers in my life. It's a shitty job/dogs hate you, as do people....

Now, personally, I favor the idea of having meter readers, because it's a job people can do that needs done, but that's a completely different point.

Main argument in re "Smart Meters:" Even if it is spying, then they already do that with meter readers. They know how much electricity/water/gas/etc you use because they already have meters and that's how they know how much to charge you. They can also shut off your electric/utilities at the main relatively easily as it stands now. The difference, the only difference is that where they currently send someone out to "spy" on you/ "shut off the utilities" this allows them to do it with a computer. <--- That's really the only difference....

I'm seeing the only thing really unifying the right seems to be hatred of Obama, taxes, and oftentimes gays/atheists or non christians. Incidentally, I'm not sure what if anything is keeping the left together, if anything is. Seems both parties are pretty much falling apart.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #11267 on: February 14, 2012, 03:19:02 pm »

Gosh, guys, way to make my mood even worse.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11268 on: February 14, 2012, 03:45:10 pm »

Wait, don't smart meters actually mean you pay less because they give more accurate measurements?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11269 on: February 14, 2012, 03:51:22 pm »

Wait, don't smart meters actually mean you pay less because they give more accurate measurements?
Oh that's what they WANT you to believe....there's actually a tiny little camera in each one that records you and send them to a secret chamber in Geneva where Ban Ki-Moon screens them all looking for any signs of American patriotism....that's when they cut your power off, or raise your rates! Is that a world you want to live in?

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11270 on: February 14, 2012, 03:57:24 pm »

Oh that's what they WANT you to believe....there's actually a tiny little camera in each one that records you and send them to a secret chamber in Geneva where Ban Ki-Moon screens them all looking for any signs of American patriotism....that's when they cut your power off, or raise your rates! Is that a world you want to live in?

Seems your sarcasm meter blew out. A new one will run you $2.84 plus tax. Total comes to exactly $3.00.  :)

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11271 on: February 14, 2012, 04:01:13 pm »

This is real!! They are trying to steal our freedoms! Wake up sheeple!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11272 on: February 14, 2012, 04:03:34 pm »

I'm think that I'm getting to the point where snark is the only response I have to anything political. Because if I allow myself to take this shit seriously, I'm just gonna go put a bullet in my brain. I honest-to-God am getting to the point where I don't expect to grow old and die in this country. I don't know where we'll go, but I really worry that it's going to get to the point where the United States just will not be a tenable option.

Spoiler: Shhhh!! (click to show/hide)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11273 on: February 14, 2012, 04:04:43 pm »

I'm think that I'm getting to the point where snark is the only response I have to anything political. Because if I allow myself to take this shit seriously, I'm just gonna go put a bullet in my brain. I honest-to-God am getting to the point where I don't expect to grow old and die in this country. I don't know where we'll go, but I really worry that it's going to get to the point where the United States just will not be a tenable option.

Spoiler: Shhhh!! (click to show/hide)

I often have the same reaction to thinking about my long term future here. Either that or absurdity.... Then I have pie...

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #11274 on: February 14, 2012, 05:24:17 pm »

On the topic of smart meters being used to block use of certain appliances...

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/02/14/2038257/sony-outlets-control-electricity-through-authentication

Probably not really thread relevant, but I found it hilarious that I saw this at the same time as this turn of discussion.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11275 on: February 14, 2012, 07:55:17 pm »

On the topic of smart meters being used to block use of certain appliances...

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/02/14/2038257/sony-outlets-control-electricity-through-authentication

Probably not really thread relevant, but I found it hilarious that I saw this at the same time as this turn of discussion.
Hmmm.... Yeah, I really don't see this getting much use... maybe in Japan?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11276 on: February 14, 2012, 10:08:37 pm »

Okay, yeah, wow, what the hell. Sustainable development is somehow a bad thing? A plan of action that's not going to fail massively within a few generations is... somehow rights restricting? How in hell does that work?
Its simple. You know who benefits from reasonable long term planning? Future people! Clearly activities such as infrastructure development are part of the sinister agendas of time travelers who have come here to deny us our right to make a short-term profit while leaving them a broken, plundered world.
Soaplent green is goblins!

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #11277 on: February 14, 2012, 10:50:30 pm »

Investing in the long term future means you don't believe the Rapture is Imminent and are therefore a Godless Communist.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11278 on: February 14, 2012, 10:59:32 pm »

You guys do know what the current nutjob right wing argument against sustainability is right?

It starts by saying that climate change is a hoax. Then it goes into, "this sustainability crap requires I do something I don't want to do," and thus it is bad. That and basically calling the whole sustainability problem BS is really what they're saying. In other words, "it is an unnecessary and baseless restriction on us for no reason."

"The crazy environmentalists want us all living in treehouses made out of twigs." <-- an old one.

Now, there is a kernel of truth in this stuff but it got blown waaaay out of proportion. Fact of the matter is, the whole climate change thing would currently cost the US above $35 Trillion to fix, which we legitimately don't have. The technology simply has to get better first. That and the fact that yes, it does require a reassessment and yes a reduction of certain things we do. <---- This goes against the right wing policies favoring letting the rich do pretty much whatever the hell they want, because that will somehow save us. Specifically cutting taxes for the rich and letting them go hog wild will somehow save us. Put another way:

The unfortunate fact of the matter is neither side has shit figured out into a workable model.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:06:19 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11279 on: February 14, 2012, 11:03:15 pm »

That would require them to totally overlook expert opinions from pretty much every possible angle. Something they seem more than willing to do.

At least over here our right wing nut job party acknowledged climate change as a serious issue. The problem is that they still think it takes a back seat to our economic issues.
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 852