Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 858614 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #11100 on: February 12, 2012, 08:32:44 pm »

Even so, that is for speciality work. Could you drive it around, armed and ready to blast the shit out of something, as a civilian without too much paperwork?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #11101 on: February 12, 2012, 08:35:23 pm »

Wel, IIRC it's not that a single tank is going to fuck the pavement up, but they put much more wear on it than other vehicles, so if tanks rolling around becomes commonplace, poor grade roads start to suffer. Hell, anyone that's ever visited the countryside of northern France knows what normal cars can do to a road given enough time, let alone what happens if tanks regularly use those kind of roads.

Of course, if you stick to the main roads that isn't much of a problem as those are generally well-maintained.

I guess if tanks became that common, there would be light weight models, cheaper to produce, and easier to park.
Hell, maybe we can make a version for the far left wing. The electric tank!

EDIT:
Total ContributionsDonations
to Democrats
Donations
to Republicans
Percent to
Dems
Percent to 
Repubs
Gun Rights$22,467,579$3,231,405$19,195,40014%85%
Gun Control $1,888,886 $1,776,310 $112,32694%6%

I wonder why gun supporters feel that need to give so much to their chosen political party...

Why do people give so much to defend their rights, and other give less to take them away...
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11102 on: February 12, 2012, 08:36:34 pm »

I don't think the right to 'inflict deep puncture wounds from a range' is one of the basic human rights.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11103 on: February 12, 2012, 08:37:53 pm »

Hey, careful now. We're not talking bow control, here. Also going above and beyond basic human rights, of course.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:39:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11104 on: February 12, 2012, 08:39:52 pm »

Well I would feel slightly safer with people walking around with bows instead. The fact that they are more clearly visible is better from the start.

Seriously, what is with that? People say guns are used to deter criminals, then they hide them inside a jacket? Their is a reason that the police keep theirs clearly on display at all times.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11105 on: February 12, 2012, 08:44:44 pm »

Its a compromise, most places don't allow open carry so as not to frighten the anti-gun people.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11106 on: February 12, 2012, 08:46:59 pm »

I posted an article here a while ago about prisons that suggested, due to prison rape, men were raped in the US more than women.

This isn't the case.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11107 on: February 12, 2012, 08:48:38 pm »

Well I would feel slightly safer with people walking around with bows instead. The fact that they are more clearly visible is better from the start.
Man, I'unno. Most arrow wounds are a helluva lot more dangerous (and damaging and painful) than bullet wounds, at least the ones that aren't immediately lethal. Gunshot's more likely to immediately kill, arrow's more likely to frak you right the blazes up if you survive.

Also crossbows. They've got concealable crossbows.

Seriously, what is with that? People say guns are used to deter criminals, then they hide them inside a jacket? Their is a reason that the police keep theirs clearly on display at all times.
They pull knife, you pull gun, they run fook away. Yes, I actually have met a few people that has had that happen. S'not exactly common, but it happens.

There's also the whole 'chance of gun' thing. The effectiveness of that as a deterrent is probably unquantifiable, but it's one of the common points offered to the deterrent thing.
Ask not!
Ask!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11108 on: February 12, 2012, 08:50:26 pm »

They pull knife, you pull gun, they run fook away. Yes, I actually have met a few people that has had that happen. S'not exactly common, but it happens.

There's also the whole 'chance of gun' thing. The effectiveness of that as a deterrent is probably unquantifiable, but it's one of the common points offered to the deterrent thing.
Would they even have approached you if your gun was visible?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11109 on: February 12, 2012, 08:51:02 pm »

Its a compromise, most places don't allow open carry so as not to frighten the anti-gun people.

The very fact that you are allowed to carry a loaded fire arm into a shopping centre is terrifying as it is, why not just go all out? I mean fuck, if you are going to do anything might as well be all in.

Their is a sex ed lesson at school, why not gun ed? Well, I don't mind that idea really. I don't mind people owning guns, I just think you should regulate the fuck out of them. Should write to my member of parliament about it, who ever the fuck he is...

Really? You know not just one, but a few? I have never met anybody that this has happened to, nor have I met anybody that has met anybody. I mean really, when you get a mugging down here it ends up on the news, so it is kind of a big deal...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11110 on: February 12, 2012, 08:51:27 pm »

I posted an article here a while ago about prisons that suggested, due to prison rape, men were raped in the US more than women.

This isn't the case.

The fact that MRAs even feel the need to start some kind of pissing contest over rape statistics is bad enough. It's not about flat "which gender gets raped more?" statistics, it's about rape itself, and the social structures that lead to (or fail to prevent) various kinds of rape in the first place.

fake edit: And yeah, the article basically closes on that same note I'm trying to say.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11111 on: February 12, 2012, 08:55:18 pm »

Really? You know not just one, but a few? I have never met anybody that this has happened to, nor have I met anybody that has met anybody. I mean really, when you get a mugging down here it ends up on the news, so it is kind of a big deal...
I'd say probably three or four that I'd trust weren't bullshitting me. Most of the folks that I know that carry and would do something like that aren't the types that'd take the story to the news.

Now mind you, this is a hilariously not-statistically-significant sample size, but that sort of deterrent isn't completely without basis.
Ask not!
Ask!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11112 on: February 12, 2012, 08:58:51 pm »

That is insane.
You guys need to work on something, maybe education? Your economy? Hell I have no idea, but you are doing something wrong if there is a need for self defence on a regular enough basis that multiple people you know have had to pull a gun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11113 on: February 12, 2012, 09:03:11 pm »

Ehn, don't take it as representative. Family and a lot of people I interact with are poor and/or have lived in bad areas regularly, as well as being gun owners -- there's some criminal element involved, as well (There's more than one felon in or known to the family). Most people in the US, especially those edging toward middle class and up, wouldn't have even remotely been likely to run into the same situation repeatedly.

But yeah, the lower end of the US's society can get pretty shitty for a first world country. Still a lot better than a lot of places in the world, but bad is still bad.

E: If we're talking news-worthy, though, there was an elderly fellow that shot and killed a home invader in my area within the last year or so that made the news. It's another one of those anecdotal it-does-happen things, but yeah.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:08:47 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11114 on: February 12, 2012, 09:03:58 pm »

I know a few people who have had to defend themselves with a gun if we are talking personal anecdotes here.

Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 852