Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854881 times)

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10815 on: February 05, 2012, 01:42:48 am »

I agree that there is this culture now that everyone seems to require medication to 'correct' whatever personality traits they have. I think it's absurd, especially with medicating children who really have no obligations in life but to make passing grades in school. There is really no justification for that.

I'd like to point out that nobody has to do what a doctor recommends or prescribes. Don't take drugs if you don't need them. Don't medicate your kids unless they actually need it. Personally, after having studied psychology in college pretty much convinced me psychology is 90% pseudoscience quackery, I don't give much weight to the opinions of psychologists or anybody else in that feild.

Frankly, I don't understand why people are so quick to seek a diagnosis of some psychological problem to explain their personality. Or why they label themselves with whatever it is. Who gives a fuck?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:47:20 am by Montague »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10816 on: February 05, 2012, 02:01:24 am »

Being shunned for a really long time can do that to you.  I remember asking for years: "Why isn't this working?  I'm just the same as everyone else is!"  I still probably do a lot of things wrong, but the big thing for me was that I realized I'd made it to the age of 19 without ever really having a conversation, and then I thought: "Oh, maybe something's actually wrong here."  I was suffering, so I finally did the culturally standard thing, in hopes of learning something about why other people were treating me the way they did.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10817 on: February 05, 2012, 03:02:19 am »

Growing up I had a lot of help, mostly from my mother telling me what to do and what not to do, and from my school which used to talk about the way emotions are expressed and such sometimes.

One of the things that really helped me was interacting with people that acted like me, it really made some of the glaring mistakes I made obvious when they did it. Like walking away from a conversation while someone is talking to you, or rambling on and on about something people really aren't interested in.

Socialization is a really complex art form, and something I still struggle with, but people generally seem to like me so I think I'm doing alright with it.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10818 on: February 05, 2012, 07:59:12 pm »

Incarceration in the United States, and why it's a problem.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10820 on: February 06, 2012, 05:09:42 pm »

Come on now, it's the 9th Circuit we're talking about here. They'll strike the ban down for sure, Supreme Court involvement or none.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: February 06, 2012, 05:12:05 pm »

Come on now, it's the 9th Circuit we're talking about here. They'll strike the ban down for sure, Supreme Court involvement or none.

Feh, maybe, maybe not. Thing about judges is, they don't like being overruled. Let's say the do want it struck down. They also know this crap might be headed to the US or State Supreme court. They have to build as airtight of a case as possible so that the higher court doesn't just reverse it.

I've grown so numb to the comments sections anymore. I just don't care and don't really think these people are doing anything but preserving their bigotry for posterity. History will look back at all these horrible comments as the ultimate proof that yes, people were bigoted assholes. When they didn't have any punishment or accountability for voicing said bigotry, they spewed it all out. When they could really speak their minds, they did.... We will be showing these horrid things in history books, thousands of pages of them are out there. Yes, this really is how people are, deep down.

"A man who could not see his reflection could do any evil."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:15:48 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: February 06, 2012, 05:14:05 pm »

I'm just saying, the 9th is so liberal compared to the rest of the nation that it seems like a foregone conclusion to me. It was the 9th that said "under god" being in the pledge violated the establishment clause, and the Supreme Court ended up reversing that by a fairly large margin.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10823 on: February 06, 2012, 05:17:20 pm »

I'm just saying, the 9th is so liberal compared to the rest of the nation that it seems like a foregone conclusion to me. It was the 9th that said "under god" being in the pledge violated the establishment clause, and the Supreme Court ended up reversing that by a fairly large margin.

Maybe. Then again they could be once bitten and twice shy by exactly what you're talking about. Who knows. [shrugs] You're probably right though. That said the 9th circuit is usually the most sane one, which is of course why they're seen as too left and overruled by a conservative majority SCOTUS. I just know and have known that it's not over either way. One side or the other celebrates after each decision and wonders why I don't. Unfortunately Scalia is still alive and well on SCOTUS as is Tomas, both of whom dissented in Lawrence and would've left being homosexual as illegal in the US (don't try to mince the particulars it was illegal).

Sadly O'Conner is gone, and I don't know how the rest of the court will vote on topic.

There's really no telling how this will go.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:27:54 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10825 on: February 06, 2012, 06:11:41 pm »

You have to start writing more with your contributions, Nadaka. I have no idea what you find good or bad with that article.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10826 on: February 06, 2012, 06:25:49 pm »

You have to start writing more with your contributions, Nadaka. I have no idea what you find good or bad with that article.

You are right. I do. But not right now. My brain is jello, so this may not make sense.

Dude is crazy. Was denied access to medical and psychiatric evaluation under a Mississippi state law that prohibited such evaluations unless under a court order. That limited the options available to the defense and may have kept him off death row. That seems messed up.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: February 06, 2012, 06:48:01 pm »

You are right. I do. But not right now. My brain is jello, so this may not make sense.

Dude is crazy. Was denied access to medical and psychiatric evaluation under a Mississippi state law that prohibited such evaluations unless under a court order. That limited the options available to the defense and may have kept him off death row. That seems messed up.

Yeah, it's sad that we execute those with diminished capacity. We say we don't; we do. Whether they're officially declared diminished or not, many of them are.

Basically the public mob decided that the insanity defense was BS because it didn't let them satiate their blood lust. Some politician saw this as an election ticket, was right, and rewrote the law. Now we've got people with an IQ of 70 sitting on death row. We're also the country that has more people in prison than Communist China. "Freedom?" <-- Just another slogan this country says but doesn't have. :D ;)

I've had appointed clients who quite honestly try to figure out how to eat soup with an envelope. If you think that doesn't make sense, then consider they have neither soup, nor an envelope! What now? He's completely divorced from reality and doesn't know what the fuck is going on enough of the time that it's hard to even talk to him. Denied the insanity defense.... [shudder] The guy is god damn crackers.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:51:49 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #10828 on: February 07, 2012, 01:29:07 am »

I suppose you're done raging about people who suggest imprisioning/killing the defense lawyers of accused criminals...

My usual response is "I hear you killed a whole girl-scout troop, lets put you to death. Not true? But wern't you just arguing to kill people based of accusations without trial?"
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10829 on: February 07, 2012, 09:21:09 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-joins-fight-contraception-rule-230254626.html

So it seems the latest thing to distract us from real issues is should it be easy or very difficult to get birth control....

Forgetting entirely that Romney's health care policy has the exact same language and has under his governorship since 2002, WTF? We live in a world where half of 7 Billion people don't have access to clean water or food. What is the Catholic Church concerned with: making sure people don't have birth control so we can have more people we can't feed. This is a huge issue to them: war on religion?

We've got nothing better to talk about or work through really? It's a "violation of conscience?" Isn't it funny how their "conscience" doesn't seem to bother them quite so much about the shitloads of people being created that we simply won't feed and will let die? Where's the moral outrage about that exactly? World overpopulation, hunger, thirst, war, disease, whatever, let's make it harder for women to get birth control. What a fucking terrible thing, and it simply "must" be stopped right?

Why the hell does it seem religious stuff gets hung up on all the insignificant parts of belief? What're we fighting over this for? This is the issue that's most important right now? This? This is somehow from the article and Romney:

“Think what that does to people in faiths that do not share those views; this is a violation of conscience,” he said. “We must have a president who is willing to protect America's first right, our right to worship God according to the dictates of our own conscience.”

He added, “The Creator gave every human being his rights. I’m just distressed as I watch our president try and infringe upon our rights. The First Amendment of the Constitution provides the right to worship in the way of our own choice."

??? So the "right to worship," includes the right to tell basically everyone in society how to live or at least make it incredibly difficult for them to do pretty much anything your religion doesn't like? It's just a "violation of conscience" to let someone make their own medical decisions easily. We're not even talking about abortion, in the slightest. We're talking about a pill. There's no fetus involved, there is one woman making a choice to be on birth control for many, many different possible reasons and some of them don't even involve contraception. What the hell business is it of anyone's if she takes that? These are the same people who thought you could get a PAP smear at Walgreens.... Butt the hell out....

I'm just getting sick of being expected to live up to someone else's imaginary friend that I don't believe in. Seems everything's a "violation of conscience" for some, except the poor, the sick, the hungry. Where's the outrage over that? That "violation of conscience," is a dangerous illegitimate trump card that they can apply and often do apply to anything: homosexuality, women's rights, somehow taxes.... Anything that there isn't a rational argument against, just substitute "violation of conscience," and magically it's legitimate. And, O joy, we're picking presidents based upon this? Again, never mind the fact that this is exactly what Romney has been doing as Gov of Mass State since 2002....

You wanna know what I think this crap is about? What a coincidence that the whole "defund planned parenthood," initiative failed both by the US Government and the whole breast cancer charity thing. Well if they can't mess up women's health one way, then they'll try another.... Round 3 of the current fight against women's health?

In other propaganda: http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/06/justice-ginsburg-causes-storm-dissing-the-constitution-while-abroad/

So Ginsburg was talking to some people in Egypt about, ya know, forming their own government and stuff. She said to look at other more recent constitutions rather than just the US constitution. And for this, she's getting bad press....

Look at the comments section....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:39:14 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 852