Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854676 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10785 on: February 04, 2012, 01:01:24 pm »

Sure? Perhaps on a forum like this. In certain circumstances. Unless you like ask them about it. Then they could be telling you because they are simply polite.

Or in real life. I mean, it's not hard to know  what a persons view on religion is when they go to a place of worship every weekend.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10786 on: February 04, 2012, 01:05:51 pm »

Just knowing something isn't the same as talking about it. I know which of my friends are religious and which aren't (I even attended one's Bar Mitzvah, at his request), but I don't think I've ever really talked about it with them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10787 on: February 04, 2012, 01:07:00 pm »

So? They are still holding incorrect thoughts that you are aware of. Should you not go and correct them? Do you not have the right to correct them?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10788 on: February 04, 2012, 01:08:14 pm »

If we were talking about it. I'm not going to go trying to pick fights or anything, Criptfeind. Social tact, and all that jazz.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10789 on: February 04, 2012, 01:11:07 pm »

So.

The answer, if you would have been willing to give a yes or no, would have been...? No? You don't have the right to confront your friends or other religious people? Yes? You do have that right to go and confront them or other religious people?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10790 on: February 04, 2012, 01:12:39 pm »

I have the right to confront people in a discussion if we are talking about it because the topic came up one way or another. Specifically seeking such an event out when nothing is happening otherwise is just rude.

Interacting with other people is a bit more complicated than a binary answer can show.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10791 on: February 04, 2012, 01:15:09 pm »

Not really, since I was asking about the second part. I have said time and time again that if they start it or join in on it, then I don't have a issue. Only when you start it without them joining in. I'm unsure why you are unable to answer this without adding in a qualifier to obscure it that I have already acknowledged.

Anyway, is it worth it to keep this going? To get back to the original away from religious people and to intolerant people?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:16:49 pm by Criptfeind »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10792 on: February 04, 2012, 01:17:09 pm »

No, I am beginning to get that "endlessly going in circles" feeling. Is anything going on? We haven't gotten any new links in a couple of days, and if there's anything I hate it is slow news days.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10793 on: February 04, 2012, 01:19:30 pm »

Well Komen said sorry to Planned Parenthood. A million Moms are protesting against Ellen Degenres for being spokeswoman for jcpenny.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10794 on: February 04, 2012, 01:21:40 pm »

I hear rumors of a change in the medical definitions of certain mental illnesses that include a simplification that would make it so that people with mental illnesses will be declared ether to have aspergers or be normal, basically the stuff they used to be diagnosed with is no longer a thing.

I'm not sure if that fits this thread though, and I don't have any solid facts. But it does seem like something Vector would talk about.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: February 04, 2012, 01:26:21 pm »

Vec actually threw up some links on that, uh... well, a fair bit back. Probably a couple dozen pages now :-\

And the Komen thing came up. I should probably look up what the hell Komen is, because I'd never heard of it before... E: and I think True gave a thumbs up to JC Penny for telling those protesting moms to screw off.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:30:24 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10796 on: February 04, 2012, 01:29:30 pm »

Huh. Well. Sorry I missed it.

This is actually maybe going to fuck me over.

But I guess we will have to see.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10797 on: February 04, 2012, 02:14:08 pm »

I hear rumors of a change in the medical definitions of certain mental illnesses that include a simplification that would make it so that people with mental illnesses will be declared ether to have aspergers or be normal, basically the stuff they used to be diagnosed with is no longer a thing.

I'm not sure if that fits this thread though, and I don't have any solid facts. But it does seem like something Vector would talk about.
Its not rumors its being done for DSM 5.

they are defining the line between Aspergers and autism. basically you can have aspergers but you aren't considered autistic. Frankly it needs to be done, autism is a little too strong label for some people with aspergers. frankly i don't want to cover the whole details cause right now its still a mess. Biggest change was combining ADD and ADHD together and just put it on a usual level from mild to serious.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10798 on: February 04, 2012, 02:47:45 pm »

On the one hand, I agree that there is a difference, full stop; I had a much easier time learning and picking up social skills, particularly those having to do with empathy, than other spectrum people I know.  It's probably no longer appropriate to say that I even fall under the Asperger's diagnosis as it stood.  On the other hand, I do still have some of those traits (like that I hate being touched by most people), and my social skills still probably fall into the "sucky to middling" range.  Probably more appropriate to say that I have "mathematician's syndrome," heh.  Enough to be seen as strange or a constant outsider and have a hard time getting along, not enough to be seen as something diagnosable.  Everyone seems to know and say that I'm "different," but I don't really know how.

The truth is, I think a lot of things seen as bad social skills were just my refusal to put up with a number of social conventions; so some of it was willing, some of it unwilling, and I ended up being diagnosed.

All I can say is that I really hope that the people who no longer have a diagnosis end up being okay and didn't actually need any special social resources but understanding.  I'm worried that a lot of folks are going to be screwed over.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10799 on: February 04, 2012, 02:54:44 pm »

No this was to fix the problems of lumping people into one case, if anything this will target key areas that need help. like i said though this is a messy section, evening doing psychology is a mess for me, theres few of us that can give information anyways. anyone even has a degree in psychology?
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 852