Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853814 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10605 on: January 28, 2012, 09:49:15 pm »

What?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10606 on: January 28, 2012, 11:14:58 pm »

The church and science are not opposing forces.

Its just that the church opposes science.
What are you talking about? There hasn't been a protest by the church in years against science.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10607 on: January 28, 2012, 11:37:23 pm »

Saying the church and science are opposing is like saying 'sweet' and 'blue' are opposing.

At least ideally.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10608 on: January 28, 2012, 11:40:15 pm »

What are you talking about? There hasn't been a protest by the church in years against science.

Depends which church you're talking about. There's a huge, powerful swath of Christianity in the United States, with a lot of political clout, opposing plenty of science and scientific education. I know someone who literally lives like a half hour away from the Creation Museum. Seriously.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10609 on: January 28, 2012, 11:42:07 pm »

It would be more accurate to say that narrowminded anti-intellectuals oppose science. As it so happens, a great deal of narrowminded anti-intellectuals are also extremely religious and have said religiosity as the justification for their narrowmindedness.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10610 on: January 28, 2012, 11:44:22 pm »

I would also say that (certain types of) religious thinking promotes narrow-mindedness in the first place, or that at least they're interconnected in such a way that you can't completely excuse religiosity as a mere outlet for existing narrow-mindedness. Which isn't to say that all religion/spirituality has to be like that, but in practice, it very often is.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10611 on: January 28, 2012, 11:46:14 pm »

Depends which church you're talking about. There's a huge, powerful swath of Christianity in the United States, with a lot of political clout, opposing plenty of science and scientific education. I know someone who literally lives like a half hour away from the Creation Museum. Seriously.
Well yea but last i heard was opposing embryo stem cell research which unfortunately is still hindered here, i haven't even heard much of a grumble for CERN's search for the 'god' particle or the latest first man made bacterium or something cellular.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10612 on: January 28, 2012, 11:47:35 pm »

Great. They still want Creationism taught in public schools and oppose the teaching of evolutionary theory, and would have succeeded if not for some court decisions related to that matter... although sometimes they do get away with it to a surprising degree, in certain places/cases.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10613 on: January 28, 2012, 11:48:36 pm »

I've never really been sure if religion is responsible for, a symptom of, and/or a balm for ignorance. But the two do seem to come hand in hand. It's hard for me to think well of it. On the other hand, believing these things gives a lot of people peace.

I'm not really sure I know what to make of it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10614 on: January 28, 2012, 11:49:39 pm »

I would also say that (certain types of) religious thinking promotes narrow-mindedness in the first place, or that at least they're interconnected in such a way that you can't completely excuse religiosity as a mere outlet for existing narrow-mindedness. Which isn't to say that all religion/spirituality has to be like that, but in practice, it very often is.
Oh no, I'm not saying it's an outlet, I'm saying it's a vector. The analogy that religion is like a pool of stagnant water is one of my favorites: Outwardly it is something harmless, but that doesn't stop us from dying of malaria when the mosquitoes come to town.
On the other hand, believing these things gives a lot of people peace.
It sure doesn't give suicidal gay teenagers peace.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:52:03 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10615 on: January 28, 2012, 11:49:50 pm »

I've known religious people, including Christians, who are not particularly dogmatic, are flexible in their thinking, and are rather nice and tolerant people. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be the norm.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10616 on: January 28, 2012, 11:50:10 pm »

I've never really been sure if religion is responsible for, a symptom of, and/or a balm for ignorance.

It's all three. Although less that last one.

I've known religious people, including Christians, who are not particularly dogmatic, are flexible in their thinking, and are rather nice and tolerant people. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be the norm.

I dunno. Depends where you are. It most certainly is here.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10617 on: January 28, 2012, 11:51:15 pm »

I myself believe in God and fit both scientific theories and my religion around each other. It works actually pretty well.
Don't appreciate the top comment there Criptfiend.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10618 on: January 28, 2012, 11:52:14 pm »

I've known people, including Christians, who are not particularly dogmatic, are flexible in their thinking, and are rather nice and tolerant people. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be the norm.
I've removed one thing, and this entire statement remains true. Strange.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10619 on: January 28, 2012, 11:54:46 pm »

Don't appreciate the top comment there Criptfiend.

What do you want? It is all three. Although rarely the last. At least now a days. They are not all that it is, of course, but they are part of it.
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 852