Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853733 times)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10545 on: January 28, 2012, 07:47:17 am »

Still, why are so many homophobes religious? You cannot hide the fact that some religions breeds very intrisigent world view.
I think it's rather the homophobes find the best shelter in religion. Nothing is better than "God says it's bad so it must be bad" in their eyes.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: January 28, 2012, 08:04:20 am »

Also I believe that homophobia has very little to do with religion in general, a homophobic religion is just a result of homophobia.

This is sort of a chicken-and-egg scenario that's been going on for centuries, though. Homophobic culture is expressed in homophobic religion, and homophobic religion encourages homophobic culture. You can't really separate the two that easily, because religion is a huge part of culture. I'd say that trying to find out which "came first" is a bit silly.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: January 28, 2012, 08:55:16 am »

Ehr, apart from what G-Flex said, I'd also like to point out that in countries where people in general are atheists, most homophobes are atheists as well. I mean, there might not be as much gay-hate, but homophobia is still common.

Also why is atheist so damn hard to spell on a keyboard.
Love, scriver~

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: January 28, 2012, 08:57:10 am »

I'd like to add the following to what I said: Dogmatic, religious thinking doesn't exactly encourage people or society to change. When you turn something into an assumed belief (like "God doesn't want people to be gay"), virtually no rational reasons can change it and it becomes much more ingrained into people's thinking. So even if religion isn't the cause of homophobia, it makes homophobia much, much harder to combat.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: January 28, 2012, 08:58:47 am »

I dunno, even in countries like France, most gay-hating come from far-right catholics, wether clerics or politicians.

Generally speaking, religion seems to breed hate and intolerance rather than pure homophobia.

Also, what G-Flex said. Remember the discussion with that Southern Baptist (Sorry, cannot remember your nick right now). The one that was basically saying "Hey, gayness is a sin. Because it's a sin."?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: January 28, 2012, 09:10:10 am »

Pretty sure you mean ggamer. He's just naive, and believes what his parents tell him without taking his parent's teachings to the test.

Anyway, what you guys say is true, religion is a great shield for homophobia, as I've said.

Ironically, the whole theme of Jesus is the exact opposite of hate and intolerance.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: January 28, 2012, 10:07:55 am »

I dunno, even in countries like France, most gay-hating come from far-right catholics, wether clerics or politicians.

Generally speaking, religion seems to breed hate and intolerance rather than pure homophobia.

Also, what G-Flex said. Remember the discussion with that Southern Baptist (Sorry, cannot remember your nick right now). The one that was basically saying "Hey, gayness is a sin. Because it's a sin."?

Landover baptists are trolls..

And the hate and intolerance is race related, and mostly a thing related to human nature.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: January 28, 2012, 10:21:23 am »

DrPoo: I have no idea why you're bringing up Landover Baptist, which is an old satirical website. How are they possibly relevant? Maybe you mean Westboro Baptist Church, who also aren't very much worth consideration, as they're only a very tiny fringe group dedicated to... well, starting lawsuits, basically, and who also aren't relevant to discussion.

But yes, there are actually plenty of Chrsitian denominations claiming that homosexuality is a sin. Hell, it seems most of them do. It's not exactly an uncommon thought in the US.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: January 28, 2012, 12:15:32 pm »

Still, why are so many homophobes religious? You cannot hide the fact that some religions breeds very intrisigent world view.
I think it's rather the homophobes find the best shelter in religion. Nothing is better than "God says it's bad so it must be bad" in their eyes.
Hey man don't lump us all together, i maybe christian but doesn't mean im homophobe.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10556 on: January 28, 2012, 12:18:52 pm »

Now in Congressional committee is the Enemy Expatriation Act, which would allow the government to revoke the US citizenship of anyone who "supports hostilities" against the United States.

Ha. Hahaha. Dystopian bill after dystopian bill. We are so completely and totally fucked.

The good news is that the US constitution also applies to non-citizens, much to the chagrin of conservatives (I should stop using that word and start calling them regressives instead.) like the republicans and Obama.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: January 28, 2012, 12:19:38 pm »

@Tell
He isn't lumping them all together, he's saying that religion is easily abused to promote one's ideas. Which is true. Anything can be justified by "god says so." Abuse of that is inevitable.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: January 28, 2012, 12:21:52 pm »

I think it's more to counter Anwar Al-Awlaki type circumstances. The people in question have to be actively supporting the other side in a conflict governed by the rules of war. There would have to be a declaration of war, for one. Not sure what defines 'supporting', though.

Note that this doesn't apply to people that just have radical beliefs. The government would have to literally declare war on them, unless they joined a group that the government had already declared war on.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: January 28, 2012, 12:24:03 pm »

Swedish "Christ Democrats" are holding an election for possibly new party leader today. The choice is between "conservative but still smart enough to realise that they are hardly staying in the Riksdag as it is" guy and "even further Christian conservative guy". I'm not sure who I want to win, because it would be interesting to see what happens if somebody starts preaching about "Christian values" and what not

I might even get something to bring to this thread myself if the latter wins too. Well, something that doesn't depress me too much to spend time writing a post on it, I mean, I already have q lot or the other kind.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 852