Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853689 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10380 on: January 22, 2012, 08:24:00 pm »

No one is arguing the case for mandatory nudity, or even a societal expectation of nudity, and since none of you would be required to be naked, I really don't understand the objections.

Some people would not be uncomfortable with other random people around them being naked. Social expectations regarding nudity vary a lot from person to person and culture to culture. You can't really expect there to be no expectations at all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10381 on: January 22, 2012, 08:33:50 pm »

As long as you yourself generally wear as much clothing as you claim, I'm not really seeing how it would be an issue? Your clothing protects you from others people's junk just as much as theirs does.

Not enough.  There's three things that consistently give me panic/paranoia attacks: STDs, pregnancy, and state surveillance/information transmission in general.  Might actually start wearing gloves everywhere when I'm having an attack, that's a good idea...

(You guys shouldn't listen to me, as I'm in the middle of the largest one I've had in a couple years right now)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: January 22, 2012, 08:36:28 pm »

May I offer you an e-hug? I promise, I have both a shirt and pants on!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: January 22, 2012, 08:39:25 pm »

Not right now (not even fit to get dinner right now because plates other people use coming out hot and wet and reserved, cross-contamination, etc.) but I will gladly accept when I am feeling better.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10384 on: January 22, 2012, 08:39:43 pm »

Most of what I've seen about it on the internet that was sensible said something about bringing a towel with you if you're sitting somewhere that isn't explicitly your thing to sit on. So towels would be more important, that probably can't be too much of a bad thing, we already have towels you can wear as a poncho anyway.

So, we'd be back to clothes?
More back to robes than clothes.

So... Less "nudity" and more "robity?" :P

And when one nudist sits in the chair after the last one does?
Wear something over your ass and it doesn't effect you at all either way, does it?

Can you honestly not see the difference between, "being all upset about wearing short skirts," and "literally wearing no clothing at all?" Ideally, it wouldn't matter. In reality....
Yes, of course I can see the difference - one of them disgusts you, and the other doesn't. Is there another difference I'm supposed to be catching?

No one is arguing the case for mandatory nudity, or even a societal expectation of nudity, and since none of you would be required to be naked, I really don't understand the objections.

I think I'm failing to convey just how little of a crap I give about nudity one way or the other. "Disgust" would mean I cared enough to be disgusted. I don't. I just couldn't give a damn less. My response is more or less a yawn.

My argument, per usual, goes solely to the practicality and implementation problems or lack thereof. Also per usual, I am jaded and operate off the assumption that humans are bastards.  I disclose this regularly.

Speaking of regularly, I deal with criminals on a daily basis and sometimes am a little scared of them. Forget "mandatory," they will ruin it with just "optional," I think. So first you're going to let the criminals be all naked in public. Then there's other people (read: potential marks/victims)  who are also naked by choice. These come into the same place.... Hilarity will not ensue.

Lots of people in the general public will steal anything not nailed down or on fire. Given a claw hammer and a bucket of water, they'll take those things too.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: January 22, 2012, 08:41:03 pm »

Most of what I've seen about it on the internet that was sensible said something about bringing a towel with you if you're sitting somewhere that isn't explicitly your thing to sit on. So towels would be more important, that probably can't be too much of a bad thing, we already have towels you can wear as a poncho anyway.

Well, if it works for wizards...  :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: January 22, 2012, 08:43:16 pm »

Well, if it works for wizards...  :P

Sounds good to me. I just want advanced notice so I can jump on the unlicensed Harry Potter knockoff market when robes come into style.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: January 22, 2012, 08:47:05 pm »

Not right now (not even fit to get dinner right now because plates other people use coming out hot and wet and reserved, cross-contamination, etc.) but I will gladly accept when I am feeling better.
I'll leave it over there on the table for you, so that you may pick it up at your leisure.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10388 on: January 22, 2012, 08:47:17 pm »

Most, if not all places that are clothing optional, where you sit on things (couches, stools, bars, that kind of thing) have a mandatory rule of putting a towel under your butt. It's a simple fix.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: January 22, 2012, 08:52:42 pm »

Having spent some time among nudists and hippies... I think it's great when people feel comfortable in their own bodies to be able to walk around naked. I'm not about to though. The actual issues with nudity have more to do with our current societal shaming and overt sexualisation/objectification of people rather than an innate "that's gross".

Europeans are much more progressive in these regards than Americans.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10390 on: January 22, 2012, 08:54:22 pm »

Having spent some time among nudists and hippies... I think it's great when people feel comfortable in their own bodies to be able to walk around naked. I'm not about to though. The actual issues with nudity have more to do with our current societal shaming and overt sexualisation/objectification of people rather than an innate "that's gross".

Europeans are much more progressive in these regards than Americans.

Pretty much. Yep. If people could be cool about it, then it'd work....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:59:00 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: January 22, 2012, 08:56:45 pm »

I for one would welcome robes.

This debate isn't really much of a debate anymore, though, so how about we debate about... animal testing. Example: the movie 'The Abyss' contained a scene where they were proving that a living being could breathe Perfluorocarbons due to their high oxygen content. Their method: trapping a rat in a box of the stuff. On the other hand, medicinal testing. Thoughts?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: January 22, 2012, 08:59:28 pm »

Some people would not be uncomfortable with other random people around them being naked. Social expectations regarding nudity vary a lot from person to person and culture to culture. You can't really expect there to be no expectations at all.
People in public make me uncomfortable pretty much constantly and all the time. I don't see how that matters? Unless they're intentionally antagonising me, that's my problem, not theirs.

"Disgust" would mean I cared enough to be disgusted.
Considering you went out of your way to express your disgust several posts ago, to the point of insulting those who choose to forgo clothing in their own time, I doubt this is the case. Maybe you weren't disgusted then - I suppose you might simply have been repulsed, instead.

Speaking of regularly, I deal with criminals on a daily basis and sometimes am a little scared of them. Forget "mandatory," they will ruin it with just "optional," I think. So first you're going to let the criminals be all naked in public. Then there's other people (read: potential marks/victims)  who are also naked by choice. These come into the same place.... Hilarity will not ensue.
I honestly don't think the statistics don't really support you here, though. The people likely to rape someone are going to rape them whether they are naked or wearing a miniskirt, as far as the numbers I've seen say. Though it's been a while since the last time I looked into this issue - do you have any evidence this is actually something that is likely to happen?

Most, if not all places that are clothing optional, where you sit on things (couches, stools, bars, that kind of thing) have a mandatory rule of putting a towel under your butt. It's a simple fix.
Obviously the happy medium is capes. All the function, none of the confinement! :P

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10393 on: January 22, 2012, 09:06:30 pm »

This debate isn't really much of a debate anymore, though, so how about we debate about... animal testing. Example: the movie 'The Abyss' contained a scene where they were proving that a living being could breathe Perfluorocarbons due to their high oxygen content. Their method: trapping a rat in a box of the stuff. On the other hand, medicinal testing. Thoughts?
I honestly have no problem with testing on animals (with exception, of course). Why? because most animal used testing were breed for such, and many of those are from domesticated animals. Now, test in chimps and stuff like that I would be against, but not much beside that.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: January 22, 2012, 09:08:04 pm »

Obviously the happy medium is capes. All the function, none of the confinement! :P
I like this compromise. I wouldn't mind walking around in nothing but a long, flowing, dracula-esque cape.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 852