Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853687 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10350 on: January 22, 2012, 07:02:43 pm »

A-ok, by me.

I'm the type of person who thinks humanity as a whole should just get over it's collective obsession with sex and sex related things. The less we think nudity and such to be unusual things to be hidden away, the better.

I wouldn't go strutting around nude myself, but mostly because it can get a bit chilly :P Plus, chairs and things can get dirty.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10351 on: January 22, 2012, 07:07:51 pm »

...Weren't you arguing earlier that too many people were being treated like they had a disorder when in fact they weren't any less functional that many neurotypical people?  Wouldn't tightening the definition of autism be a way to counteract that?

Who, me?

No, my argument is that a lot of people with AS are highly functional, but differently so than neurotypical folks, in such a way that if the world isn't going to change to help us integrate, therapy/help developing social skills/awareness at the very least is kind of necessary.  Lord, I'm doing a lot better now, but some help when I was younger, just with perceptive stuff, might have helped one heck of a lot.

What do you people think of naturism?

Not for me.  I really like being dressed ankle to wrist... and if I ever felt like cross-dressing, it'd be basically impossible.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10352 on: January 22, 2012, 07:09:45 pm »

What do you people think of naturism?
I think it's not the best of decisions to make in certain geographical areas and during certain activities, but am otherwise uncommitted. Haven't exactly had much (if any, really.) interaction with it, either.

I'm rather fond of clothes, though, on a personal level. Pockets are very useful and concealing certain physical tells in relation to muscle movement, etc, make the paranoiac in me happy. Also mosquitoes. And ringworms, and so forth, and so on. Nudity in a swamp isn't the wisest of choices to make, for most people. Bad enough when any skin is uncovered, in my experience :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #10353 on: January 22, 2012, 07:11:03 pm »

In most areas, humans wear clothes for a reason. But really, if somebody wants to, I don't care. As long as they don't sit on my couch :P

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10354 on: January 22, 2012, 07:12:50 pm »

I'm not against naked people and I mostly agree with Kaijyuu. I don't like to see a bunch of naked people wandering around because I think it's gross, but that's not a very good argument so I'm willing to bite my lip and get over it.

Course, the only place you could really pull it off would be places like Australia. Couldn't image someone in the nip in France in the Winter, I nearly froze to death with five layers on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10355 on: January 22, 2012, 07:15:51 pm »

I'm a nudist. Mostly indoors though, since I live in fucking Canada. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10356 on: January 22, 2012, 07:19:07 pm »

In the winter (or just in the North in general), I'd say its not the best idea, but otherwise I agree with kaijyuu. As far as I'd say it'd work best in the summer though, since even in short-sleeves you'll only cool off so much.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10357 on: January 22, 2012, 07:38:39 pm »

I'm going to have to go against the grain a little bit here (maybe) and say I don't really see a problem with the social expectation to wear clothing in public. You can say it's a bit arbitrary, and it is, but on the other hand, so are most social attitudes.

This isn't to say I have anything objectively wrong with nudity, just that I'm okay with different societies having different standards with regard to it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10358 on: January 22, 2012, 07:39:19 pm »

Not wearing clothes? Think of the poor sheep, cotton plants and um... petroleum byproducts... you're putting out of work?

The idea sounds workable in theory until you factor in weather, the unfortunate fact that most people are horny, and of course the seemingly all too true rule that most of the nudists I've seen are the people nobody wants to see naked. I already see wayyyy too many jumbo muffin tops. Yes, the problem unfortunately applies to guys as well. [shiver]. No thank you.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10359 on: January 22, 2012, 07:43:30 pm »

That's my biggest problem with it, but again, I don't see 'it's really gross' as a particularly strong argument.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10360 on: January 22, 2012, 07:44:51 pm »

The idea sounds workable in theory until you factor in weather, the unfortunate fact that most people are horny, and of course the seemingly all too true rule that most of the nudists I've seen are the people nobody wants to see naked. I already see wayyyy too many jumbo muffin tops. Yes, the problem unfortunately applies to guys as well. [shiver]. No thank you.
I'll just point out that the bolded part would go away once the novelty wears off.

Remember, bare ankles was once considered risque. Stop hiding things and they'll stop being titillating.

As for stuff being gross... yeah well I see people with gross features all the time. Unwashed hair, etc. I'm not going to tell them to cover up.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10361 on: January 22, 2012, 07:46:21 pm »

e: this is, this is kinda a weird discussion to be having. I think I might bow out and just watch, cause I don't know jack.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:48:22 pm by Jackrabbit »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: January 22, 2012, 07:51:02 pm »

Tell that to the cultures without the compunction to cover up all the time. Even the cultures that only cover up most of the time; public baths for example, aren't sexual to cultures that have them.

Exposing said body parts is only a "mating display" because it is again, a novelty. Culturally, we dictate said parts are only shown to mates or on unusual circumstance. Without it, we'd fall back to body language for "mating displays," as far as non-verbal communication goes.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10363 on: January 22, 2012, 07:52:50 pm »

That's a good point, I don't suppose the Romans had a huge problem with it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10364 on: January 22, 2012, 07:58:14 pm »

Also recall that nudity is perfectly legal in many places in the US - Vermont had a pretty funny little "uproar" over the summer when a bunch of teenagers decided they weren't going to were clothes out and about town and it became a bit of a fad. There are ordinances against it in certain cities and towns, but in general its allowed.

Of course, once it starts getting nippy that gets a lot less appealing. :P

and of course the seemingly all too true rule that most of the nudists I've seen are the people nobody wants to see naked. I already see wayyyy too many jumbo muffin tops. Yes, the problem unfortunately applies to guys as well.
Yes, because there's nothing like promoting the culture of body shame, amiright? We should all we're clothes because god knows most of ugly us are ugly sunovabitches underneath, and we shouldn't have to expose others to that sort of grotesquery.

Honestly, I'd expected a little bit better of you.

But then again, we live in the grand old US of A where I've even had people tell me to my face that my feet are disgusting and I shouldn't be allowed out in public without shoes on. (I'm not a nudist, but by god do I hate shoes)

Course, the only place you could really pull it off would be places like Australia. Couldn't image someone in the nip in France in the Winter, I nearly froze to death with five layers on.
Most nudists I've met are only opposed to social requirements to wear clothes, not environmental ones. :P
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 852