Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853842 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10335 on: January 22, 2012, 04:22:13 am »

How the fuck would you abolish parties in a FPTP system. That's just a recipe for "unofficial" parties and the exact same situation.

Anyway, Schulz or AV. That's the way to go.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10336 on: January 22, 2012, 04:37:12 am »

Absolutely. My objection is to making generalizations about 'all republicans' based on a misleading graph.
Here's a more unbiased graph of the debt levels.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you can see the debt kicks off in WWI with Wilson, it's generally felt that Wilson poorly managed demobilising the country, and the post-war debt. This was actually around the time when the democrats and the republicans began to switch places, something I've never really fully understood.

It begins to drop with Coolridge who cut back on the government, opposed labour unions (something that was popular at the time due to people being worried that allowing unions would cause a communist uprising, oh the irony), and even cut taxes. Hoover then got saddled with the great depression, and passed that torch onto Roosevelt, who was well known for the huge amounts of spending he did to fight the depression, but honestly, the debt didn't start to really pile up until the war started. From then on after the war the various presidents steadily brought the debt down, until Nixon came along.

Nixon got involved in Vietnam, and disallowed cashing in the dollar for gold, which removed it from a gold standard, and basically opened the floodgates for inflation.
Some say this was inevitable and a good thing, I'm not so sure.

Nixon also stopped bringing down the debt, which was something that continued with Ford and Carter, until we get Reagan, who spent like crazy. Then G.H. Bush carried on that legacy.

Clinton then started to bring the debt down, before the next Bush started bringing it back up.

Then the recession hit. yay

Something that puzzles me is why when republicans are supposed to be in favour of smaller government, they wind up incurring more debt than democrats.

I fail entirely to see how my graph is "biased," in recent history it's correct. This other graph uses a % of GDP which I'm not seeing as relevant. By that notion Obama has spent "more" than Bush, even though this is patently untrue. Rather there is less GDP now due to the recession. Moreover it takes into account an incredibly rare circumstance like WWII mobilization and the commandeering of the entire economy for military production.

I'm not seeing why we should care about GDP in relation to debt, because that picks up confounds like recessions. The same is true of recent inflation adjustments, because the bad economy has caused that (and don't say there is none, gas and groceries cost more. There is inflation official or not). I get what they're trying to do; they're trying to make an apples to apples comparison. You can't in this instance, because there are too many confounds.

Just like to point out that that if you're just looking to compare republicans and democrats, that chart's misleading (although I'm in no way defending massive government spending).
There are 3 republicans depicted and only 2 democrats, one of whom's only been in charge for 3 years. Grand total that's 20 years of Republicans represented to 11 of Democrats, so yeah, budget increases are going to be weighted towards Republicans.
(Correct me if my numbers are wrong.)

??? What the? You do realize this is entirely in your favor right? Ok, you wanna go further back before Regan? It does. that tiny little part is the portion of the debt before 1981. Who cares if that was Carter, Nixon/Ford, JFK, or whoever. It's nothing compared to the portion Bush borrowed. The fact that there have been more republican presidents than democratic presidents doesn't make anything biased. It's just the fact that they've had more time in power recently.

It isn't misleading, Bush spent an absolute ton of money on multiple unfunded wars while cutting taxes.... That makes deficits. Simple. The point is moot, because Bush spent 40% of the current debt in real money that we have to pay back no matter how you cut it. There is no way that is good.

Bush spent 40% of what we currently owe and he was in for 8 years. Obama has spent about 10% of what we currently owe and he's been there 3 years. If we double that for 6 years and even make it times 2.5 to equalize it to 8 years, Obama's still ahead of Bush.

13.5 x .40 = 5.4
13.5 x .10 = 1.35
13.5 x .25 = 3.375
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:07:27 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: January 22, 2012, 07:19:52 am »

I fail entirely to see how my graph is "biased," in recent history it's correct.

It's possible to be totally correct and totally biased (or misleading in other ways) at the same time. It's the difference between telling the truth and telling the whole truth.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: January 22, 2012, 08:03:11 am »

I fail entirely to see how my graph is "biased," in recent history it's correct.

It's possible to be totally correct and totally biased (or misleading in other ways) at the same time. It's the difference between telling the truth and telling the whole truth.

The whole truth involves a significant shift in party ideology though, so recent history would be a better judge of how the parties operate today. You don't get Lincolns or even Eisenhowers anymore.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #10339 on: January 22, 2012, 08:54:09 am »

Chris Dodd, lobbyist and CEO/Chairman of MPAA.
"Candidly, those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake," Dodd told Fox News. "Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/19/exclusive-hollywood-lobbyist-threatens-to-cut-off-obama-2012-money-over-anti/

This is just disgusting. Flat-out bribery.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10340 on: January 22, 2012, 09:22:03 am »

meh, that's what you get when you campaign with money from others.
the basis of campaigning should be using your contacts and your money to get votes, not the money or the loans of others.
once you do you are in their debt.
from what i can understand potential presidents get loans from privates which in turn increases corporations and lobbies powers.
in italy parties are self funded by those who enter them; to say, you enter a party, and then from within the party you get chosen to become a parliament member, then every month of parliament member you have to pay the party a percentage. depending on what position you managed to get, or in which position you are in the public work sector, you pay a different amount.
All this money flows in for the campaigns, for the party sustainance and so on.
De-facto italy has a lot of party "fragmentation" when the chosen guys enter the parliament, they can cut off ties with the old one, and forge new ones. (which in turn is being prevented by a law which prohibits parties of less than tot individuals to be formed).

you lose the freedom of politics, the moment you have to pay money to enter them.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: January 22, 2012, 10:15:02 am »

Clearly Chairman Poo outranks DrPoo unless of course they are the same person occupying different official capacities, in which case we should adjourn for Advil and gyros before untangling this.

Judging from this and other threads, if they're the same person, DrPoo is Chairman Poo the day after drinking his weekly set of vodka-and-mercurochrome cocktails.

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHA

No seriously, that one was funny.
Sigged.

Edit: Got anything prooving that i am really that high/drunk/dwarfy?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:18:54 am by DrPoo »
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: January 22, 2012, 10:47:35 am »

No, but it's giving you the benefit of the doubt.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: January 22, 2012, 03:39:15 pm »

.... I'm sorry what? Which part of the truth am I not telling? What's missing that's keeping this from being the "whole truth?"
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: January 22, 2012, 06:30:22 pm »

I was (somewhat pedantically) trying to point out a general logical fallacy, rather than make a specific criticism. It amused me, because it's a tactic politicians often use - presenting accurate figures which lack necessary context in order to mislead people (again, I'm not accusing you of doing this, not deliberately anyway).
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: January 22, 2012, 06:35:06 pm »

Apparently, the new definition of autism from the DSM-V is going to exclude 25% of people now diagnosed with autism and 75% of those diagnosed with Asperger's.

This isn't going to mean anything for me, because I wasn't able to get any services anyway, but things are about to get a lot harder for other folks. Good luck to them.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: January 22, 2012, 06:37:29 pm »

Isn't the DSM-V going to include a new "autism spectrum" diagnosis though? I forget how that works, but I'd be very surprised if it excludes so many people. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if asperger's in particular is fairly over/misdiagnosed these days, so I don't know how bad a thing this would be anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: January 22, 2012, 06:54:51 pm »

...Weren't you arguing earlier that too many people were being treated like they had a disorder when in fact they weren't any less functional that many neurotypical people?  Wouldn't tightening the definition of autism be a way to counteract that?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10348 on: January 22, 2012, 06:58:37 pm »

I suppose it depends on what type of "services" being provided.

Counseling to make them closer to "normal" might not be so great.
Support groups where they can meet people like themselves and give each other support would be pretty great.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bill the dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: January 22, 2012, 06:59:34 pm »

Well this certainly is one of the more interesting threads I've seen on the internet, its full of debates that stay mostly debates.
What do you people think of naturism?
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 852