Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854011 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10290 on: January 20, 2012, 03:38:27 pm »

Re: gerrymandering
Algorithms already exist to partition states fairly based. The simplest uses county based population counts. But it isn't any more complex to use data points for every residence, it just takes longer.

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-honor-killing-movie-shakes-turkey-113831171.html

Yea... If you don't want to fly into a homicidal rage against homophobes, don't read the comments.
Considering there's roughly 1 honor killing per week in Istanbul alone I'm surprised that people are shocked by this. Of course, the difference could be that most victims of honor killings are female and/or Kurdish instead of 'real' people...   

I've posted here on female honor killing before, but this one is slightly different (but no more or less horrible).
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10291 on: January 20, 2012, 05:06:40 pm »

Sweden: Requires forced sterilization of transgendered/genderqueer people if they want to transition legally.

Fucking seriously

Yep, it's shameful. Completely in opposition to what people want as well. And if the article is correct, it's done to appease the Christ Democrats (the four not-blatantly-nazi right wing parties are in a coalition together) parties, a party nobody takes serious and that probably won't stay in the Riksdag come next election - they're currently below the 4% border. It's complete and utter bullshit.

Some better stuff though; I don't usually visit reddit but today when I happened to go there this article caught my attention. Good to see a company taking some social responsibility.
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10292 on: January 20, 2012, 05:12:08 pm »

PCP: It will make you tear off your clothes and attack the cops by beating them with their own severed arms, as you bleed out from multiple gunshot wounds. It really is the only thing that we shouldn't legalize under any circumstances.

It's a dissassociative, hallucinogen, neurotoxin and mood destabilizer all wrapped into one. Mind you, even then that sort of stuff usually requires large amounts of the drug - smaller doses are much safer. Since dosing is pretty much completely unknown when purchased illegally, that's a clear issue as well.

But honestly, I don't know why people touch that shit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10293 on: January 20, 2012, 05:15:36 pm »

Some better stuff though; I don't usually visit reddit but today when I happened to go there this article caught my attention. Good to see a company taking some social responsibility.

Nrgh, M$ is one of the folks working with private prisons in the US, though. Which is to say supporting outright slavery and helping to steal better-than-minimum-wage jobs from the unincarcerated in the process.

Though I guess "some" is technically accurate, bleh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10295 on: January 21, 2012, 05:04:36 am »

500 hundred Mossos, the Catalonian regional police,  have blockaded a major street in protest against the salary cuts they are undergoing
As a reference, these guys are the same people who violently repressed the protesters of the 15M movement (simmilar to OWS) six months ago, with several of them gloating in social media about it

Funny how situations can change all of a sudden, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEianPdvx8Q

Edit: even more funny: a Mosso made a comment in that news item, complaining about how, when doctors, teachers, and public workers had went to the streets to protest against their salary cuts, they had gotten wide popular support. He "doesn't understand why the Mossos aren't getting that same support". LOL.

I'm kind of hoping the goverment unleashes the Civil Guard (which, despite the name, is a military police corps) on them. Just so that they a new perspective on the subject of police brutality.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:24:04 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10296 on: January 21, 2012, 01:31:51 pm »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/broke-sick-lonely-stanford-heads-122429951.html

"The Free Market without regulations."

And they're all saying the government should've done more before this. My my, didn't they say smaller government is better? Except of course when it's your own personal ass on the line.... Good luck getting your life savings back if you invested with this guy.Regulations = good.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10297 on: January 21, 2012, 01:59:25 pm »

I'm really suprised people are still surpised when people do barbaric religiously-motivated things in Muslim majority countries.

Their culture and belief system is not even remotely similar to western values. They are similarly shocked and awed by the way we do things here.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10298 on: January 21, 2012, 02:35:25 pm »

I'm really suprised people are still surpised when people do barbaric religiously-motivated things in Muslim majority countries.

Their culture and belief system is not even remotely similar to western values. They are similarly shocked and awed by the way we do things here.
You were fine up until you got to the part about Muslim countries. Don't think for a moment similarly brutal things do not occur due to other religions in the backwaters of the world.
Modern day Christian witch hunts in Africa, for example, in which parents murder their own children: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/575178.stm
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2009-05-20-childwitch_N.htm
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:39:11 pm by alway »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10299 on: January 21, 2012, 04:38:41 pm »

:o The birthers refuse to go away despite incontrovertible proof of being wrong.

Here is a crazy Georgia State Administrative Judge saying that President Obama must appear personally in a Georgia Court to defend his citizenship and provide legal authority why he shouldn't have to....

Obama's Birth certificate has been publicly available in PDF form for some time:
Here is Obama's Longform Birth Certificate  (Notice it is longer than the short form)
Here is Obama's Shortform Birth Certificate (Notice it is shorter than the long form)

???

Forget for a second that the case is totally moot and frivolous, as Obama has already publicly released his birth certificate. The State of Georgia has no Jurisdiction whatsoever. Obama has no ties to Georgia. Moreover, citizenship is a federal issue, not a state issue. They haven't forced the Republican nominees to issue their birth certificates to be on the ballots so either there is no state election law saying you have to (edit: release your birth cert.)  to be on the ballot or they're only enforcing it against Obama (that would be the one black guy) and everyone else gets a pass. Coincidence?

He already showed his birth certificate in both long and short form to everyone and it is now public knowledge. You can google it with minimal effort, but they don't care...? What more do they want from him, to just yell at him and waste his time?

Obama is actually more of a citizen than McCain, but let's grill Obama:
You know what the really weird part of this is? As I've said before John McCain was actually not born in the US, so Obama has a better claim to citizenship than he does. McCain was born in Panama on a US Military Base.

"McCain, having been born in the (Panama) Canal Zone, if elected would have become the first president who was born outside the current 50 states. This raised a potential legal issue, since the United States Constitution requires the president to be a natural-born citizen of the United States."

O what? Wait a minute, let's grill the black guy even after he's proven he's legit and has released all the paperwork, but nobody give the old white guy any flack at all?  ???

Edit: One question, what more do they want him to do that he hasn't already done?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:44:08 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: January 21, 2012, 04:46:04 pm »

Even if there was a legitimate reason to have him testify, can he really be subject to a subpoena?

Not saying that "if the president does it it's not illegal," but rather, isn't he the head honcho of those who have the power to enforce it? Maybe I'm getting my government powers mixed up, but it seems to me like calling a police station and asking the sheriff to arrest himself. (not even that, because there's someone over said sheriff that could do the arresting. There's no one over the president)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: January 21, 2012, 04:54:34 pm »

I believe the president has some degree of immunity, I don't know how far that extends, but I'm pretty sure it makes anything that judge can do worthless.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: January 21, 2012, 04:56:08 pm »

Even if there was a legitimate reason to have him testify, can he really be subject to a subpoena?

Not saying that "if the president does it it's not illegal," but rather, isn't he the head honcho of those who have the power to enforce it? Maybe I'm getting my government powers mixed up, but it seems to me like calling a police station and asking the sheriff to arrest himself. (not even that, because there's someone over said sheriff that could do the arresting. There's no one over the president)

I'll be perfectly honest with you, I'm not sure if the issue has ever come up before. You're talking about subpoenaing the freaking POTUS man.... I don't know that this has been done and it's simply not something I've ever run across.  It's entirely possible he might have sovereign immunity. {to answer Pnx's post}

Devil's advocate for a second: Procedurally, when someone is subpoenaed they can usually fight it with a "Motion to Quash," which in English is them voiding the subpoena to have no legal effect. Simply it's getting out of it. There are certain things a motion like that has to have in it. I know what it is in Ohio, but it's different from state to state. If to beat the subpoena you have to have A B C and D in your motion, and you don't have all of those things (A B C and D), then your motion to get out of the subpoena may fail for technical reasons. If that's the case then they might technically have him. The link I posted to is the judge denying Obama's Motion to Quash (court filling to get out of the subpoena).

However, I highly doubt this has legitimacy. I mean really, you're talking about DOJ lawyers working directly for the POTUS man. Those guys are usually pretty good. The thought that they would make such a rookie mistake, while possible, just .... I don't buy it. Obama can pretty much hire any lawyer in the country, do you wonder if the ones he picked are any good?

??? Inherent skepticism aside, I find this hard to swallow.

Please don't quote me.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10303 on: January 21, 2012, 05:18:47 pm »

RRAAARRRGHHH WHY WONT MY BANANA OPEN PLEASE MAKE IT OPEN RAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: January 21, 2012, 05:19:49 pm »

* The Merchant Of Menace gives DrPoo a knife.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 852