Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854087 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10275 on: January 20, 2012, 02:00:01 pm »

I was more refering to the likes of PCP

PCP is... a bit more than a straight hallucinogen. It's classified as a dissociative, yes, which is technically a hallucinogen, but I don't think it's particularly representative of the subset.

That is some bad stuff.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10276 on: January 20, 2012, 02:01:25 pm »

Sweden: Requires forced sterilization of transgendered/genderqueer people if they want to transition legally.

Fucking seriously?

Gonna be gone for a while, so be good, kids, and if all else fails branch it off into another thread.
[/mom]

Oi.  What the hell Sweden?  I can't believe forced(well, sorta) sterilization is still even something people can even consider.

It is pretty bad, although it's been misrepresented by (some) progressive types a lot. I've heard it described very often as "transgender individuals are forced to undergo sterilization", whereas it's more like "fertile people of X biological sex are not allowed to identify legally as Y gender (unless they change that first part)". It's pretty awful, either way, but there's still a difference there that a lot of people don't seem to acknowledge. Not so much a problem in this thread, though, it seems.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10277 on: January 20, 2012, 02:05:25 pm »

It is pretty bad, although it's been misrepresented by (some) progressive types a lot. I've heard it described very often as "transgender individuals are forced to undergo sterilization", whereas it's more like "fertile people of X biological sex are not allowed to identify legally as Y gender (unless they change that first part)". It's pretty awful, either way, but there's still a difference there that a lot of people don't seem to acknowledge. Not so much a problem in this thread, though, it seems.

Ah.  I had horrible images of people going to get sterilized if they wanted to legally change their gender. 

Still lousy though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10278 on: January 20, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »

Well, I think that is the case, in the sense that you aren't allowed to transition legally unless you undergo sterilization. Something like that, anyway. So it's more a... coercive sterilization program than a forced sterilization program.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10279 on: January 20, 2012, 02:23:16 pm »

... from what I'm reading of what you said, G, they're actually perfectly fine with transgendered going through the transition operation and hormone treatments and so forth, self identifying as whatever, changing their name to whatever they prefer, etc., so on, so forth, they just can't legally (as in only on the census or tax forms or whatever) change their gender?

I mean, it's still absolute bullshit, but that's a considerably different order of bullshit compared to, say, forcing sterilization before the other aspects of transitioning is allowed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:25:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10280 on: January 20, 2012, 02:29:00 pm »

So basically their stance is that you can't legally be considered a woman if you can impregnate a woman.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10281 on: January 20, 2012, 02:32:00 pm »

I don't think this is that surprising - Sweden has a thing for Bureaucracy and legal terms. This is the country that requires a name be "government approved" before you can give it to your child.

They have a love of technical, strict identification systems.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10282 on: January 20, 2012, 02:34:23 pm »

Sweden: Requires forced sterilization of transgendered/genderqueer people if they want to transition legally.

Fucking seriously?

Gonna be gone for a while, so be good, kids, and if all else fails branch it off into another thread.
[/mom]

Oi.  What the hell Sweden?  I can't believe forced(well, sorta) sterilization is still even something people can even consider.

Well, clearly I was going to say something about this.... :(

First of all, never mind that its against the European Convention on Human Rights which is enacted as law in Sweden. Those things only apply to people "we" (assholes) like. More selective reading of only parts of things certain people want....

Let's look at the fundamental rights we're talking about giving up for legal recognition:

1.) Procreation Ability/Freedom from Forced Sterilization: Basically they're saying they don't like people like me and we shouldn't be allowed to breed. How lovely. What if the transgendered person is attracted to members of the sex they are transitioning to. That is if a MtF likes girls (lesbian?) or a FtM likes men (gay?). Personally, I'm MtF who likes men.... Isn't it just great that these people can't have a child for no real logical reason.... Hurray bigotry. If we're allowed to have state forced sterilization, then we should expand it to that.... Better idea, let's just not have it....

This kills off any alternative form of medical reproduction as well. It's stupid.

I know, this is only if you want legal recognition, but o well. That's huge in and of itself.

2.) Being in a relationship: From the article, "it already creates at least one anomaly, in that the present law also requires TS/TG and gender variant people to be single in order to receive legal gender recognition – and this in a country which already has same sex marriages. Courts have previously overruled this requirement, but nevertheless it is still enshrined in the law."

So you have to be single and you certainly can't have a kid, because the attitude is "you're a freak and we'll never really accept you...." [sigh] The only way we'll sort of kind of accept you is if you meet our ridiculous demands that we impose for no rational reason but rather due to our fear and bigotry....  The fact that the courts have already overruled this because that country already has same sex marriage isn't the point. It's called you're illegal; it's illegal to be you.... Lovely feeling that is.... Depending upon how their legal system works, the fact that the law is on the books may also have secondary effects. Those "breaking" said law, could have it bite them in contracts, etc.

Well, I think that is the case, in the sense that you aren't allowed to transition legally unless you undergo sterilization. Something like that, anyway. So it's more a... coercive sterilization program than a forced sterilization program.

It's a um [ahem] "final snip," problem traditionally:
I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the difference. "Coercive" v. "forced?" While I could physically transition under such a law, I could never be legally recognized as female under said requirement unless I complied. Personally, I don't care, as I'd happily undergo full SRS and thus be medically sterilized by choice, or rather because the technology to give me a fully biologically female body doesn't exist. However, other people might not like that or might not be able to do that.

Consider also that we're talking about major surgery. Some people aren't healthy enough for that. [sigh] You can't really get into what it is without being somewhat vulgar due to what's being operated on, but frankly it involves a lot of destructive and reconstructive surgery. If you have blood pressure issues, blood clotting issues, heart disease, or a whole host of other factors, then you might not be able to have SRS because it's a major surgery. This is especially a risk for older transsexual individuals who were unable to transition earlier in life due to numerous factors. Let's not forget, this surgery is expensive, though in Sweden, their state medical care program might cover it.

If they can't have SRS and be sterilized that way, then that would necessarily lead to other compliance methods including chemical castration (which has nasty side effects) or something else? What an immense burden to put on someone for no real reason.... So, what's the point? I submit there is none.

Not being legally recognized might not physically stop you but it makes it 1000x more difficult and then there's that lovely feeling of yet another hurtle and yet another control other people have over your body and life. When you ask why they have this control and why you must bear this burden, you're not answered rationally if at all....

Some actually pretty good journalism on transgendered individuals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5P9kUz0yO0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7cq8Gezx4Y&feature=relmfu
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10283 on: January 20, 2012, 02:41:21 pm »

SOPA and PIPA are magically sealed away!  Supporters say "you'll regret that" and threaten revenge, especially should we look the other way.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10284 on: January 20, 2012, 02:57:51 pm »

Looks like it is more postponed.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10285 on: January 20, 2012, 03:02:17 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-orders-texas-election-redistricting-183839253.html

So forget the journalists. Let me tell you what actually happened and what needs to happen.

The republicans Gerrymandered the shit out of Texas in ridiculous ways. They got caught doing it, plain and simple. As a result of them getting caught, a lower court tried to impose a remedy and do it's own redistricting. This remedy is the problem.

Whereas the republicans went too far in their own favor when redistricting, the court went too far in the democrat's favor. The pendulum swung too damn far both ways. We need some sort of neutral ground.

So electoral maps shouldn't really favor anybody. They should reflect the population and be neutral. The problem is, especially in our increasingly divided society, nobody is neutral. Who can you trust to really make a neutral election district map?

What I think we need is some mathematical system or something to get at population density, not who is what political party living where. This leads to congress and state representatives drawing up district boundaries to ensure they will be reelected, because they will make wacky lines to get areas where their political party overwhelmingly resides. This marginalizes those people in said area who are the opposing political party.

We really need something based upon both land area and population. It would be relatively fair and impartial. At least that's my opinion. As it stands, there really isn't a good answer.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10286 on: January 20, 2012, 03:09:15 pm »

Re: gerrymandering
Algorithms already exist to partition states fairly based. The simplest uses county based population counts. But it isn't any more complex to use data points for every residence, it just takes longer.

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-honor-killing-movie-shakes-turkey-113831171.html

Yea... If you don't want to fly into a homicidal rage against homophobes, don't read the comments.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10287 on: January 20, 2012, 03:25:05 pm »

Re: gerrymandering
Algorithms already exist to partition states fairly based. The simplest uses county based population counts. But it isn't any more complex to use data points for every residence, it just takes longer.

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-honor-killing-movie-shakes-turkey-113831171.html

Yea... If you don't want to fly into a homicidal rage against homophobes, don't read the comments.
Considering there's roughly 1 honor killing per week in Istanbul alone I'm surprised that people are shocked by this. Of course, the difference could be that most victims of honor killings are female and/or Kurdish instead of 'real' people...   
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:28:59 pm by Virex »

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10288 on: January 20, 2012, 03:27:52 pm »

Or maybe it's because most people don't don't know about the honor killings, Virex.  It surprises me that people actually do that, reguardless of who the victim is.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10289 on: January 20, 2012, 03:35:53 pm »

Also note that making alcohol illegal kind of worked out horribly for the country, so there's that.

And honestly, I'll be surprised when Oregon isn't the first state to fully legalize marijuana :P
Canada's face when we legalize weed before them.
I was more refering to the likes of PCP

PCP is... a bit more than a straight hallucinogen. It's classified as a dissociative, yes, which is technically a hallucinogen, but I don't think it's particularly representative of the subset.

That is some bad stuff.
PCP: It will make you tear off your clothes and attack the cops by beating them with their own severed arms, as you bleed out from multiple gunshot wounds. It really is the only thing that we shouldn't legalize under any circumstances.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 852