Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853423 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10185 on: January 19, 2012, 07:07:40 pm »

Then how does morality work? I can't imagine it being a good thing for people to become immoral simply due to something as trivial as a few facts?
People do not become immoral because of the facts. The facts are by definition always true and people were already moral or immoral, simply unaware of it.

We can all agree that antifeminist positions and sexism is morally wrong.

What? I mean. Sexism can be against men as well you realize? And indeed, like others are saying, the facts could have said that is the case here. It would not have been morally wrong then to oppose it just because the oppressed were male.
Erm, sexism implies the presence of a power component. The omnipresence of the patriarchy
Wrong. patriarchy is NOT omnipresent.
has completely removed any power component that may be applicable in views slanted against men. So sexism against men is quite literally impossible.
Also wrong. Even with the presence of patriarchy it is not the sole power component. Case in point, men have no place raising children. This has a very real impact on men in the real world. In a divorce, a judge will place children with an unemployed, drug abusing, a history of mental illness mother before they will place a child with an employed, well adjusted, stable father more often than not.

The fact is sexism is wrong. There is no way for a sexist morality to be supported by facts. It is simply a contradiction at the most base level.
In that case, asking for facts is unnecessary, as they add nothing to the discussion.
The problem is that you are under the delusion that there can be no sexism harmful to men.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:11:15 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10186 on: January 19, 2012, 07:08:06 pm »

@Virex

Look. I love people coming in here with opposing viewpoints. I means we don't go off on stupid tangents like whether a single letter existed in some politician's speech.

But there comes a point where there's just no point to debating things. Defending non-sequiturs with more non-sequiturs. Being willfully blind to opposing viewpoints. That sort of thing.

I'll say this as politely as I can: Stop spewing your fucking bigoted garbage.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:18:00 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10187 on: January 19, 2012, 07:08:41 pm »

Virex. This conversation interests me much less then your life does. Please tell us your life story so we can all be amateur psychologists.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #10188 on: January 19, 2012, 07:09:37 pm »

What? I mean. Sexism can be against men as well you realize? And indeed, like others are saying, the facts could have said that is the case here. It would not have been morally wrong then to oppose it just because the oppressed were male.
Erm, sexism implies the presence of a power component. The omnipresence of the patriarchy has completely removed any power component that may be applicable in views slanted against men. So sexism against men is quite literally impossible.
No, no, no, not at ALL.

Sexism is the viewpoint that one sex is inferior. It does not matter who holds this position, nor does it matter who they think is inferior.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10189 on: January 19, 2012, 07:10:42 pm »

Virex. This conversation interests me much less then your life does. Please tell us your life story so we can all be amateur psychologists.
I think we might be able to get some rewards or grant money if we pretend to be a college or something. UB12, anyone?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10190 on: January 19, 2012, 07:11:00 pm »

I'm just a bog-standard chemistry student who lives with his parents and probably spends too much time on the internet. Make of that what you will.

Erm, sexism implies the presence of a power component. The omnipresence of the patriarchy has completely removed any power component that may be applicable in views slanted against men. So sexism against men is quite literally impossible.
No, no, no, not at ALL.

Sexism is the viewpoint that one sex is inferior. It does not matter who holds this position, nor does it matter who they think is inferior.
That's not the standard definition
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:12:37 pm by Virex »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10191 on: January 19, 2012, 07:11:29 pm »

They lack the power component to be discrimination. They're totally sexism, though.

Discrimination:    

The unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, esp. on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

Sexism:

Prejudice, stereotyping, or1 discrimination, typically2 against women, on the basis of sex.

1 Meaning including, but not limited to. It includes discrimination, but not only discrimination.

2 Again, meaning including, but not limited to. It means that sexism against men is possible.

Pseudo-edit: And yeah, Nadaka raises a point. There -is- institutional discrimination against men, such as judges favoring women in divorce cases even though men are just as good at raising children as women. Or discrimination against rape cases where the victim was a man.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #10192 on: January 19, 2012, 07:12:46 pm »

Also, this Onion article is so incredibly relevant right now.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10193 on: January 19, 2012, 07:13:37 pm »

I'm gonna take a break from posting in this topic, on this topic. I'm too stressed out now. :/
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10194 on: January 19, 2012, 07:15:12 pm »

You might want a unbiased source for something as basic as definitions. More so if you plan to actually plan your morality on definitions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10195 on: January 19, 2012, 07:15:32 pm »

Was that directed at me for the post directly preceding yours? If so, you may have misunderstood that bit in the middle.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10196 on: January 19, 2012, 07:16:58 pm »

This topic has gotten worked up to the point where I'm starting to doubt I ever quite understood it in the first place.   :-\
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10197 on: January 19, 2012, 07:17:30 pm »

Was that directed at me for the post directly preceding yours? If so, you may have misunderstood that bit in the middle.
Directly at Virex. Context with my previous posts should make that clear :P

But yeah, forums can be misleading like that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10198 on: January 19, 2012, 07:18:13 pm »

That was the definition I got when I Googled "Sexism definition".

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #10199 on: January 19, 2012, 07:22:04 pm »

Oh boy a semantics debate!

Wait, let's define "standard" first!

Quote from: Merriam-Webster
something established by authority, custom, or general consent as a model or example

Ah, so by the obviously-biased-feminism-blog standard, you are indeed correct. However, this is not obviously-biased-feminism-blog-land, this is the real world, where people can be sexist to anyone, regardless of gender.
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 852