Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853790 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10125 on: January 19, 2012, 01:48:05 am »

Your definition of 'fair' might not be the same as everyone else's.

For example, I might say 'fair' is everyone pays the same % of their income. Some might say 'fair' is everyone paying the same dollar amount. The progressive definition of 'fair' I believe is a progressively increasing % based on dollar value of wealth.

Who's to say which is the correct definition?

Also, I'm completely in favour of closing corporate loopholes, and if I ever sounded like I was implying you were ignorant, I apologize. I've stressed many times that these are differences in our beliefs.

A flat tax or a "flat percentage tax" is unfair, because its regressive. It doesn't hurt wealthier people to pay more in taxes than poor people. $1000 to a wealthy individual is nothing compared to $1000 to a poor person. The dollar amounts are the same but the value is completely different. A fair share is based on the degree of benefit an individual gains from society. The rich person owes every wealthy breath to society, because without society there are no CEOs. They can't exist in isolation. Society supports them to a far greater degree via its benefits and allowing there to even be a "management" position for them to occupy in the first place. Whereas the poor person might barely scrape by or hopefully save something.

A progressive tax is fair because it counters this. It is the remedy to this wrong.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10126 on: January 19, 2012, 01:48:16 am »

http://xkcd.com/980/huge/#x=-7208&y=-1436&z=4

Laugh at the source if you like, but Randal Monroe is extremely thorough.

If the government removed all individual and corporate tax exemptions, the deficit would be about 400 billion. And that could be paid for with a ~20% increase in taxes on the top ~1%, OR a ~10% increase in taxes on the top ~10%. If you split that tax burden over the top 80% (excluding the destitute, and the very lowest end of the middle class) it would be a 5% increase in taxes. That isn't particular practical in a lot of ways. But it completely debunks the idea that  the government can not possibly be funded without ripping it to shreds.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: January 19, 2012, 01:50:58 am »

There's also a lot of evidence that CEOs are shrewed bastards that care not for their workers, their consumers, or anyone but the little voices that scream "I WANT MORE MONEY" until judgement day, and the government should be taking the screws to these jackels, in every sense of the phrase.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:54:19 am by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: January 19, 2012, 01:51:41 am »

Who's to say which is the correct definition?
Yeah, we can quibble over what's the correct definition of fair, but it's pretty bloody obvious when it's not fair.

When I used the word fair, personally, I wasn't talking equitable tax rates, I was talking actually frakking paying the bloody taxes. The rich are to a vaguely terrifying degree not doing that. Truean's pointed out some of how they're going about it. Alway showed how this is manifesting. Others have mentioned it. That's the major thing many folks want stopped first.

As you say, really. Close the loopholes, stop that shit, then we can see what gets brought to the table and work from there.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:53:37 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: January 19, 2012, 10:31:09 am »

Because of the split delegates it was always a tie at 11 each. The whole win/loss aspect was purely about spin and momentum. Romney took the momentum from claiming the win on the night and that was worth a win even if he didn't mathematically have more votes.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: January 19, 2012, 10:43:05 am »

Because of the split delegates it was always a tie at 11 each. The whole win/loss aspect was purely about spin and momentum. Romney took the momentum from claiming the win on the night and that was worth a win even if he didn't mathematically have more votes.

Yes, but I'm not sure which is more disturbing. A.) that Santorum won (very disturbing), B.) That the republicans messed up their own voting count, or C.) all of it.

Please don't quote me.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: January 19, 2012, 10:54:50 am »

Truean, back in 2000 the US messed up its count. And it's not like here where it's proportional anyway, you actually handed the presidency to Bush.

Honestly, whether Santorum is 20 votes ahead of Romney or 8 behind, doesn't change a thing.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: January 19, 2012, 11:16:24 am »

Truean, back in 2000 the US messed up its count. And it's not like here where it's proportional anyway, you actually handed the presidency to Bush.

Honestly, whether Santorum is 20 votes ahead of Romney or 8 behind, doesn't change a thing.

Actually that was the Supreme Court in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_v._Gore .

Also that was 12 years ago? We seem not to have learned much. I was saying back then that Santorum in 2nd place scared me. 1st is more scary....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:20:08 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #10134 on: January 19, 2012, 11:23:43 am »

I never would have thought Santorum would have gotten this far. It is a bit frightening, now that I think of it.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
This is a blank sig.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10137 on: January 19, 2012, 03:12:20 pm »

So, there is this part of India where Women are the "dominant" gender...
Dang. o_o  You know, I think I understand how women in America feel...
The middle east, parts of china and a few other places still have that as the norm, but America? Most of America hasn't been that bad to women for a long time.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: January 19, 2012, 03:53:49 pm »

A lot of the world started out with matriarchal societies due to women being seen as the givers of life. But as time went by and the world became more and more warlike, the balance shifted towards men, because they make better warriors. In fact before the Romans came, the Celts supposedly had a lot of female leaders (although there aren't really records of this).

If you look at Brittania (the personification of Britain), it started life as a depiction of conquered Britain, which probably makes her a reference to Boudica, the warrior queen who led the Celts in rebellion.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: January 19, 2012, 03:59:02 pm »

We Celts are generally kind of all round awesome.  8)
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 852