Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 666 667 [668] 669 670 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853578 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #10005 on: January 17, 2012, 01:34:03 pm »

I am afraid that there are upwards of 3 thousand years of evidence that it will happen. What is your evidence that it wont?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10006 on: January 17, 2012, 01:37:43 pm »

You make many good points about problems inherent in a free market, don't dirty them with half-truths. Companies compel, and I'm sure in some unfortunate cases intimidate their employees. But until you can cite a gun being held to a person's head, you can't claim they 'force' them. It's a minor point, but there's an important distinction, and I trust you're better than that.
First of all, no one is insulting you personally and people in general taking things personally in modern political and economic discussion is why we fail so badly at it. We're against the "deregulation" idea, or at least I and many here are. The problem is the idea, not necessarily the people exposing it. That said, we’re all suffering from this idea, so yeah, it’s a raw point.

The term “half truth,” doesn’t apply to my arguments. We just have a different point of view on the issue and I assert yours is incorrect as you assert mine is.

The businesses in that situation are forcing people to be in those conditions for the following reasons. First, your “gun to the head” standard is from criminal law, which does not apply here. Second, “it’s a dirty job but somebody’s gotta do it.” Third, the worker has no effective control over the working environment and has the choice of working in an unreasonably deadly working condition or letting his family starve (literally). No, there aren't other jobs readily available. The grocery bill is due, now. Thus, the distinction between physical (criminal law) duress force, and economic (civil law) duress force is important, but it is not minor.

First, we’re talking about a human corpse here created by conditions within the company’s control. The company absolutely is wrong and to blame, but civilly and not criminally. Different punishments, but still wrong. The physical duress is a gun to the head and only applicable to criminal matters. This isn’t a criminal matter, so duress under that standard doesn’t apply.

Second, once you take the individual out of the equation, you realize that it absolutely is force. “It is a dirty job but somebody’s gotta do it.” Is absolutely true and in play here. Even saying "well, he should've got better training/paid attention in school," doesn't help this any. Not everyone can go to school. There will be people stuck in shit jobs. The fact that they may or may not have done the best they could've doesn't mean they deserve to die from unsafe working conditions and it certainly doesn't excuse the company from doing the bare minimum to save them....

Third, the worker has no effective control over the working environment and the company has every control over it (as its property).

Plain and simple facts: There is a job. That job has an element of danger to it that can be easily overcome with minimal safety gear. The company refuses to buy this safety gear. At some point in time, someone will take that job. The company will refuse to alter the working environment to include the safety gear.

Company created deadly working condition knowing it would be putting someone in said deadly working condition. The person put in that deadly working condition, dies.... Whoever takes that job, will be forced to work in those conditions or quit. Even if they quit, so what? Now they can’t afford to feed their family, so is that really a choice? No, it isn’t an option. Then of course, someone else will come along and take that job so they can feed their family…. At some point, someone will not be able to say no. Thus, force.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:40:15 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GSD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10007 on: January 17, 2012, 01:39:55 pm »

"I am afraid that there are upwards of 3 thousand years of evidence that it will happen. What is your evidence that it wont?"
Constitutions and charters preventing enslaving of people by force and guaranteeing human liberties, the availability of handguns to defend one's life and property, the rise of free and instant exchange of information brought on by the internet, the ease of travel brought on by new technologies, increased standard of living and the expectation of one brought on by the free market, let me just rest my typing hand here...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10008 on: January 17, 2012, 01:41:01 pm »

You forgot the third option of finding another employer who'd love to have access to your skills and knowledge.
It's not a matter of "I'm not going to take this" when every other choice leads to the same thing.
Line directly above the one you quoted. The third option is a non-option when it leads to the exact same conditions. And that's assuming there is another employer who wants you.

"If left unregulated, will happen again."
You believe it would happen again. I believe it would not. Until we have a time machine, all either of us have is opinion, not fact.
Actually, we do have fact, and hard fact. China's already been brought up. Prime example of what deregulation leads to in the modern world.

"And don't give BS about finding another job" = "And don't give a perfectly valid response because that would be hard to argue."
Sad fact: The perfectly valid response isn't hard to argue. We've got hard numbers on re-hiring rates and periods of unemployment between jobs. For a lot of people, saying "Find another job" is equivalent to "Get used to being on welfare for the rest of your life," assuming welfare is even an option. When it's not, you might as well be handing them a bullet.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10009 on: January 17, 2012, 01:45:19 pm »

And even if there are jobs out there and a person can't seem to figure out how to get one, it doesn't mean they should be destitute.  Being poor and hungry should not be the punishment for not being perfect, because most of us aren't perfect.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10010 on: January 17, 2012, 01:48:15 pm »

"I am afraid that there are upwards of 3 thousand years of evidence that it will happen. What is your evidence that it wont?"
Constitutions and charters preventing enslaving of people by force and guaranteeing human liberties, the availability of handguns to defend one's life and property, the rise of free and instant exchange of information brought on by the internet, the ease of travel brought on by new technologies, increased standard of living and the expectation of one brought on by the free market, let me just rest my typing hand here...

???

Read what you just wrote again and tell me if it's an option.

"Availability of hand guns to defend one's life and property,"
did you just imply that shooting or threatening to shoot is an option? That's a crime and committing it is a surefire way to land in prison. I can assure you I've had clients think in similar ways and they're still in jail.... The self defense law is far more restrictive than most people think it is. You sure aren't going to pull a gun on your boss because he's "enslaving you." Heck, it's a major thing when people pull a gun in legit self defense due to someone allegedly attacking them.

Constitutions and charters preventing enslaving of people by force and guaranteeing human liberties....

Ok, so it's written on a piece of paper. So what? Dude, it doesn't have much legal force in effect. You show that to a judge and say your boss has been mistreating you, and the judge will laugh at you. I mean this. We attorneys sit in the court room and see this kind of thing come up occasionally, and it's either sad or funny depending on how serious the person is about it. Do you have any idea what you'd have to prove to go forward with a claim of "slavery," in a court? It doesn't work.

Man, academically, you may be "correct," but practically in the real world.... How do you think that kinda thing works out? In all honesty, have you studied a lot of the labor history of the US?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:51:23 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10011 on: January 17, 2012, 01:50:43 pm »

Are you still assuming physical slavery?

GSD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10012 on: January 17, 2012, 01:53:16 pm »

"Are you still assuming physical slavery?"

I was replying to:

"If you believe companies won't make workers the equivalent of slave labor, I suggest you read up on your 19th century history. It isn't an issue of hypotheticals here; it happened in the past, and if left unregulated, will happen again."

so yes.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10013 on: January 17, 2012, 01:55:55 pm »

Don't.

No one is talking about that. The word equivalent should have tipped you off.

It is economic slavery.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10014 on: January 17, 2012, 02:00:29 pm »

Precedent: looking at what happened in the past and using that to predict the future, is a reasonable way to go about things. If it hurt when I ran into the wall the first time, then it will probably hurt the second time. Consider it learning from your mistakes. 

If an unregulated labor market ended up screwing everyone before, then it will do so again. <--- reasonable approach. Moreover, this is more than just opinion; it is experience you can't just brush off. They did it once and if allowed, they'll do it again. Availability of guns? You can just shoot people/if you do it's a crime. Internet? Nothing gets done on the internet/it's mostly a waste/a lot of talking. Constitutions and charters? Those existed then and didn't stop anything.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:02:22 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

GSD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10015 on: January 17, 2012, 02:01:15 pm »

Unless we're talking about being forced to work against one's will and without pay or remuneration, 'economic slavery' is gross hyperbole and an insult to those who actually suffered under real slavery.

"Precedent: looking at what happened in the past ..."

And accepting that society has changed in fundamental ways over the course of 3000 years is also reasonable. If I am now wearing a helmet, running into a wall probably won't hurt as much.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:03:48 pm by GSD »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10016 on: January 17, 2012, 02:03:38 pm »

Unless we're talking about being forced to work against one's will and without pay or remuneration, 'economic slavery' is gross hyperbole and an insult to those who actually suffered under real slavery.

Even going along with the above, she is being forced to work without pay; that's the whole point. They want her to work on her lunch break but not to pay her for it. And, they want her to help cover up this misdeed.

"Precedent: looking at what happened in the past ..."

And accepting that society has changed in fundamental ways over the course of 3000 years is also reasonable. If I am now wearing a helmet, running into a wall probably won't hurt as much.

There's no helmet. I looked at the ways you suggested and talked about all of them specifically not mattering, because they either didn't matter then (we had guns and constitutions then) or that they're ineffective now (the internet just talks but doesn't do anything).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:05:28 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

GSD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10017 on: January 17, 2012, 02:05:54 pm »

"Even going along with the above, she is being forced to work without pay"

She claimed a paycheque probably bi-weekly. If you want to equate working over lunch hour without getting paid to slavery, fine, but that's a bit of a stretch.

"I looked at the ways you suggested and talked about all of them specifically not mattering, because they either didn't matter then (we had guns and constitutions then) or that they're ineffective now (the internet just talks but doesn't do anything)."
You claimed a flaw of the free market is a lack of free information. Internet's a great way to disperse such information. Job postings, bad reviews, news stories, etc. Not saying it's a fix-all, but it's a start.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:07:48 pm by GSD »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10018 on: January 17, 2012, 02:14:06 pm »

"Even going along with the above, she is being forced to work without pay"

She claimed a paycheque probably bi-weekly. If you want to equate working over lunch hour without getting paid to slavery, fine, but that's a bit of a stretch.

.... A.) I'm not saying it is. I've specifically said the slavery argument is completely inapplicable here B.) let's see 5 days a week times 30 minutes = 2.5 hours x 50 weeks = 125 hours. She made $15/hour so that times 125 = $1,875/ year. Plus she's been working there for 10 years so 1875 x 10 = $18,750.
That's before overtime because she was already working 40 hours/week so $18750 x 1.5 = $28,125 and we won't even go into interest for being late up to 10 years.

$28,125... No big deal right? If someone screwed you out of that much, I somehow doubt it would be a little thing. Plus, they do that for every employee and probably other overtime pay dodging.... That doesn't touch the taxes on that the government was missing out on through direct income tax and matching payroll taxes.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:16:34 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10019 on: January 17, 2012, 02:14:53 pm »

Constitutions and charters preventing enslaving of people by force and guaranteeing human liberties,

The constitution didn't stop slavery, and it didn't stop indentured servitude, debtors prisons, borax and rotten meat in sausage, blue milk, children crawling through running machines with an oil can and occasionally being chopped to bits, 20 hour work days, women chained inside burning building, coal lung, asbestos, mercury and lead poisoning, etc. That is what America was like before health, labor and safety regulation.

the availability of handguns to defend one's life and property,

Are you saying that handguns were not available in the US during the 1800's and 1900's?

the rise of free and instant exchange of information brought on by the internet, the ease of travel brought on by new technologies, increased standard of living and the expectation of one brought on by the free market, let me just rest my typing hand here...

Yea. About that. All of that is a direct or indirect result of the regulation that you are decrying.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:23:52 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 666 667 [668] 669 670 ... 852