Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853458 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9585 on: January 10, 2012, 01:24:41 pm »

Adoption doesn't increase population.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: January 10, 2012, 01:27:54 pm »

It causes the kids to not die.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9587 on: January 10, 2012, 01:38:17 pm »

Some interesting research on the pay gap.

Looking at the full report (available free at the first link) they were comparing like-to-like as much as possible. They used only those without any gaps in employment for any reason, in full time employment and in similar employment. They then compared behaviours, notably asking for raises or promotions. And there is still a substantial pay gap.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: January 10, 2012, 01:47:54 pm »

I guess we now know why priests aren't allowed to marry.
Pretty sure there's nothing in the actual holy texts preventing priests from marriage, at least for Christianity. Most of the ministers in the area I'm in are wedded.

The no marriage thing is just a facet of some of the sects and has come and gone from the mainstream practices through history.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: January 10, 2012, 02:14:07 pm »

It causes the kids to not die.
If you want to get technical, adoption is not a death prevention technique ... unless you know something I don't. ;)  If you do, I'd like to find someone to adopt me every 10 years!
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9590 on: January 10, 2012, 02:40:59 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/n-c-compensate-victims-sterilization-20th-century-eugenics-141035445--abc-news.html

http://news.yahoo.com/lawsuit-seeks-release-guantanamo-detainee-video-184339972.html

fuck it all.

The comments, the fucking comments on that gitmo article. Motherfuckers getting hundreds of thumbs up and NO thumbs down saying that they don't have constitutional rights. US constitutional rights specifically apply to PEOPLE. All PEOPLE, not just citizens, NO EXCEPTIONS.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:53:29 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: January 10, 2012, 03:06:14 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/n-c-compensate-victims-sterilization-20th-century-eugenics-141035445--abc-news.html

http://news.yahoo.com/lawsuit-seeks-release-guantanamo-detainee-video-184339972.html

fuck it all.

The comments, the fucking comments on that gitmo article. Motherfuckers getting hundreds of thumbs up and NO thumbs down saying that they don't have constitutional rights. US constitutional rights specifically apply to PEOPLE. All PEOPLE, not just citizens, NO EXCEPTIONS.

"That's not for me, that's for 'other' people...."

You know what? If I could make a living doing it to pay the bills, I'd put on free seminars about this shit to educate the public on what stuff actually means. Civics teachers don't know anything and Fox News sure doesn't.... That'd be the legal side of it. The logical side is that we've been doling out excessive and extreme punishments since the dawn of human history; crime and undesirable acts still happen. Ergo, punishment doesn't prevent crime, or if it does, then why does it still exist after all these thousands of years....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:13:07 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: January 10, 2012, 03:45:55 pm »

You know Truean, aside from the issues with experience, I think you'd make a good professor of criminal and constitutional law. Which definitely does pay the bills at a good institution.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: January 10, 2012, 03:50:53 pm »

You know Truean, aside from the issues with experience, I think you'd make a good professor of criminal and constitutional law. Which definitely does pay the bills at a good institution.

Thank you,

I'm more of a practitioner than an academic, but that's frankly what a lot of those places bloody well need (you know NOTHING about how to operate in court when you graduate law school and concerning law it's even worse with undergrad). Honestly, being an adjunct professor somewhere is a great way to get business in law via networking. You basically get paid to solicit your knowledge, even though the pay isn't much. Grade 60 essays, pfft. I do the equivalent of that before coffee every day, and I just polished off a 300 page Motion for Summary Judgment with attachments this afternoon. :P

The implied thought you wanna plant is, "O my, you seem to have some problem. Not only do you know and trust someone who knows all about it and taught the freaking class, but (s)he's exactly the lawyer you need!"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:53:31 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: January 10, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »

Its us hetero's that are screwing up the planet anyway, what with continually reproducing and all that, stretching our natural resources and causing the exponential growth issue.
While I'm not advocating that everyone should have ten children or any nonsense like that, it's worth noting that the problem isn't that the resources are stretched, but that they are poorly shared. One in four people in today's worls live on less than a dollar a day.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: January 10, 2012, 04:04:38 pm »

Nope, according to Coalition citizenship spokesperson in Australia, immigrants are smelly and need to be taught local customs, like using deodorant and waiting in line, is the big issue

Unfortunately, this isn't just immigrants.

Sadly, hygenie, which is defined by "how close people are willing to stand next to you in line or in general," is on the decline all over the place by all kinds of people. Speaking of lines, I'm finding a large number of people in general seem to be in a big damn hurry and unwilling to line up for stuff/cut people off in traffic/refuse to let other people merge into their lanes of traffic, while thinking, "but I just want _____." You and everyone else man.... You and everyone else....

Am I the only one who gets a little twitch when I see someone taking up the entire grocery store isle by walking square down the middle until and after they see someone else coming? Then they may or may not reluctantly make it possible for the person to walk past them? I know I'm OCD, but the isle is 6 feet wide man. How is it that this is not wide enough for people to have assured clear distance around you with more than enough room for multiple people to decide which of 3 different cereals rebranded with 87 names they will buy?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:11:33 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

HeWhoCannotBeNamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9597 on: January 10, 2012, 04:08:55 pm »

I'm aware that some people stink, just i've never noticed immigrants being specifically the cause of this, mostly it's white Australian homeless people who've been the (most noticable) source. Same with queues, i have never seen a non-white barge a queue here.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:11:36 pm by HeWhoCannotBeNamed »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: January 10, 2012, 04:12:34 pm »

I guess we now know why priests aren't allowed to marry.
Pretty sure there's nothing in the actual holy texts preventing priests from marriage, at least for Christianity. Most of the ministers in the area I'm in are wedded.

The no marriage thing is just a facet of some of the sects and has come and gone from the mainstream practices through history.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But more seriously, Catholicism isn't a Christian sect and you either didn't read the word priests, or you know more about protestant priests than I do.

Also, about Australia:
According to Wikipedia, a Dutch synonym of Aboriginal is 'Austraalneger', which bacically means Australniggah. Which isn't relevant at all but it deserves a mention. (the more you know..).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9599 on: January 10, 2012, 04:13:54 pm »

But more seriously, Catholicism isn't a Christian sect-
...Uhh, yes it is?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 852