Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853678 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9390 on: January 07, 2012, 09:13:52 pm »

I have some faces with huge red lips, along with some long hairstyles. Several bodies with dresses/etc too. The vast majority of pieces are obviously male, though.

The basic lego figure strikes me as gender neutral. Just need more "feminine" accessories (bodies, hair, etc) to solve that problem, imo.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: January 07, 2012, 09:17:09 pm »

Right, exactly.  Have a fairly even balance of women and men in most playsets and show more girls playing with them on the boxes and in commercials, whatever, problem probably solved.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9392 on: January 07, 2012, 09:17:26 pm »

Yeah, it was the hair that set the gender. Well, and the moustaches in some of the faces :p

Lego City had plenty of female characters. The "action" series, not so much, although I think there were some.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #9393 on: January 07, 2012, 09:21:20 pm »

Right, exactly.  Have a fairly even balance of women and men in most playsets and show more girls playing with them on the boxes and in commercials, whatever, problem probably solved.
Ah, but you aren't thinking like an ad exec. By which I mean to say, you're thinking.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9394 on: January 07, 2012, 09:29:36 pm »

What about the colors of the bricks themselves? I remember them being mostly "boy-friendly" colors. Yellows, reds, that sort of thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: January 07, 2012, 09:36:19 pm »

Stupid idle question that just occured to me: would it be dignified enough for a 27 year old to buy a lego technic kit for himself?.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: January 07, 2012, 09:37:22 pm »

There's that; on the other hand, they also give you loads and loads of flowers.

I think it could also help to have a female voice selling some of the sets on television.  Boy ads get male voices, girl ads get female voices, but mixing and matching would probably help a hell of a lot.

Stupid idle question that just occured to me: would it be dignified enough for a 27 year old to buy a lego technic kit for himself?.

In the US, at least, yes.  They're sort of considered adult toys as well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9397 on: January 07, 2012, 09:37:55 pm »

Yes, yes, and yes.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9398 on: January 07, 2012, 09:38:04 pm »

Follow...the... money....

The problem is once again the parents and adults....

Sure, sometimes kids have some spending money but the overwhelming majority of toy products, legos included are bought by adults. The "care what the kids think," is mostly focused towards "is it fun to play with." However, the company is trying to market to ADULTS, to get the adults to buy for the kids.

You go after the people with the money who have the ultimate purchasing decision because if mom and dad say you can't have it or that you'd rather have something else, and steer you towards that, then ....

Adults, especially older adults are more likely to buy lego products as a gift for boys than girls. <---- This is the real problem that lego is dealing with.

Girls may like legos but if their parents (the ones with the money and purchasing decision) don't buy the product and/or steer them towards other toys, then the company doesn't make a sale. The company is basically fighting, "well those are nice but wouldn't you rather have a doll?"

Thus, the question becomes, how do we get grandma, grandpa, mom and dad to buy this for their daughters.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:39:52 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: January 07, 2012, 09:46:06 pm »

Ignorance, it seems, is a very hard stain to erase.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9400 on: January 07, 2012, 09:51:28 pm »

Sure, sometimes kids have some spending money but the overwhelming majority of toy products, legos included are bought by adults. The "care what the kids think," is mostly focused towards "is it fun to play with." However, the company is trying to market to ADULTS, to get the adults to buy for the kids.

Hardly even matters if it's the kids buying them, since the kids haven't exactly decided on their own what is gender-normative. What a kid wants is pretty highly related, in a pretty direct sense, to what society, consumer culture, and parents want the kid to want.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9401 on: January 07, 2012, 09:55:19 pm »

Yeah, and I think marketing it like it's a thing girls buy would help a lot to change minds.

Lego is basically a buildable dollhouse.  You play on the teaching improved spatial skills, how it's a creative version of a classic female toy, you change up the ads like I suggested, you add a couple of more "female-oriented" lego sets under the normal brand rather then sending them to the girly ghetto, and you're probably doing a lot better already.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9402 on: January 07, 2012, 09:58:17 pm »

Well, what a lot of ads do is make kids whine to their parents in order to get something. That's marketing, too.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9403 on: January 07, 2012, 09:58:40 pm »

Of course, the problem with blaming the parents is the same as blaming the kids: Most parents aren't very aware of gender issues themselves. They just know what they have internalized throughout their lives, especially as kids.

Yeah, and I think marketing it like it's a thing girls buy would help a lot to change minds.

Lego is basically a buildable dollhouse.  You play on the teaching improved spatial skills, how it's a creative version of a classic female toy, you change up the ads like I suggested, you add a couple of more "female-oriented" lego sets under the normal brand rather then sending them to the girly ghetto, and you're probably doing a lot better already.

I think this is a good idea. However, American corporate culture doesn't exactly like to, you know, take risks. They're basically the last place in society you're going to see veer from the status quo, socially speaking. This is unfortunate, since damn near our entire culture gets filtered through the lens of corporate interests.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9404 on: January 07, 2012, 10:01:30 pm »

Hardly even matters if it's the kids buying them, since the kids haven't exactly decided on their own what is gender-normative. What a kid wants is pretty highly related, in a pretty direct sense, to what society, consumer culture, and parents want the kid to want.

Yes. However, I repeat, follow the money and the parent/grandparent's desires. "She would like a doll better...." <--- problem.

I really like this idea Vector, but I'm going to assume you're aware of the possible pitfall?

Unfortunately society divides toys into "girl toys" and "boy toys," and quite often, never the two shall meet. I caught all kinds of hell from babysitters for playing with the girls and their dolls as a little kid. If they try to make it gender neutral and ... it's an insane concept so... "overshoot the mark," yeah.... They risk their market sales due to the older and more sexist generations. Hell, I'm wearing a dress right now.... I would've loved to have been openly able to play with the girls and in their games as a kid.

Again, I really like this idea Vector. I'm just worried about it and I'm someone who really liked playing with dolls as a kid. I'm cool with it, but how do you reassure the nervous sales director?

Edit: Ninja'd by G Flex's Post about Corporations not wanting to take risks....

http://news.yahoo.com/fred-got-two-beatings-per-day-homework-asks-230717586--abc-news.html
And then of course there's Georgia proving once again that it is in a neck and neck race with Alabama to be as offensive as possible
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:09:22 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 852