Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853938 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9330 on: January 06, 2012, 11:39:28 am »

Not very. Social pressure would be heavy on having children, so they would. Just like the ancient Greek and Medieval nobility - it didn't matter who they fucked for pleasure, they still went home and fulfilled their duty with their wives in the evening. Children meant everything, it didn't exist in anybody's world to not try to have them.
Love, scriver~

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: January 06, 2012, 11:52:58 am »

Humans have fairly low success odds for conceiving, so it takes a lot of sex to make children. A gay man might do his marital duty now and then, but nowhere near the amount that a straight man would. This would leave his wife unsatisfied, so odds are pretty high that his children would actually be his neighbour's children.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: January 06, 2012, 12:12:42 pm »

Nnyeah, reality seem to disagree. Last I bothered checking, the general percentage of the human population that could be identified as homosexual hasn't really had any major shifts in, well, pretty much ever. Genetically, if there's any basis for sexual preference in what genes influence, that means that it's either riding on something else that isn't affected by the selection pressures you're presenting, or the selection pressures aren't strong enough to make a difference. I personally haven't seen any studies -- or even well founded conjecture -- that indicate that homosexuals are any less likely to procreate than heterosexuals, to any statistically meaningful degree.

Humans have fairly low success odds for conceiving, so it takes a lot of sex to make children. A gay man might do his marital duty now and then, but nowhere near the amount that a straight man would. This would leave his wife unsatisfied, so odds are pretty high that his children would actually be his neighbour's children.
Do you... do you have any actual backing for any of those statements? Or even personal, anecdotal evidence? Or is that just unfounded conjecture?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: January 06, 2012, 12:15:28 pm »

Analysing evolution is almost purely an exercise in logical thinking, and DJ is doing a good job at that. He is, however, not taking all the possibilites into account.

Richard Dawkins talks about three possible causes for the prevalence of gay tendencies in the human genome(only 6 mins, you can give it a shot):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHDCAllQgS0

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: January 06, 2012, 06:38:26 pm »

Group-oriented selection is an extremely important point. In social animals, a trait can still be positive/selected for even if it presents procreation in those individuals in which it is expressed. Obvious example: Infertile worker ants.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: January 07, 2012, 09:50:46 am »

Is it really so outrageously unbelievable that people who enjoy a certain activity will engage in it more often than people who do it just because they have to?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: January 07, 2012, 09:54:15 am »

Meh, sex is fun - its like a reward for reproducing. Go Pavlov!
This is a blank sig.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: January 07, 2012, 10:17:41 am »

Is it really so outrageously unbelievable that people who enjoy a certain activity will engage in it more often than people who do it just because they have to?
No, but you need some numbers if you're going to say it influences procreation rate (which is actually measurable), or has any influence whatsoever on the homosexual population (ditto, though less easily due to stigma; plenty of false negatives).

Trust (logical deduction and your instincts) but verify (rigorously, when possible, but at least to the point of statistical significance when it's not). Not everything that makes sense (and follows logically from given axioms) actually holds true when tested.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:23:30 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: January 07, 2012, 10:29:45 am »

For some subjects there are simply no available studies. So unless you're gonna finance one, we have to settle for conjecture.

And there's a point where you're verifying so much that it becomes impossible to progress a discussion. For example, can you give me some statistic on how often things that make sense don't hold true when tested :P

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: January 07, 2012, 10:38:06 am »

I can give you several examples of thing that made sense and didn't hold true when tested.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: January 07, 2012, 10:39:48 am »

That's anecdotal evidence, not proper scientific verification.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: January 07, 2012, 10:46:56 am »

And there's a point where you're verifying so much that it becomes impossible to progress a discussion. For example, can you give me some statistic on how often things that make sense don't hold true when tested :P
Often enough that we've had years of scientific progression :P "Oh shit, logical deduction based on previously accepted axioms failed in the face of reality" is pretty much one of their major kickoff points. It's especially common in the social sciences, yeah, though a lot of that is due to how young the field is.

If you'd like something more grounded in logic, the rebuttal would be that 'people enjoying heterosexual sex' doesn't necessarily entail 'will have more children.' Pretty much nobody enjoys birth (Debilitating, incredibly painful, and possibly deadly, especially in the past.), after all, so avoiding procreation while having sex is pretty high on a lot of peoples lists, and has been for a very, very long time. All you get from 'people enjoy sex' is that 'people will have more sex if possible' (assuming the axiom that people seek what they find enjoyable; something that isn't always true), not that they'll breed more. You also seem to be ignoring that social pressure to reproduce may be capable in itself to keep the homosexual population reproducing enough, assuming that the presumed genetic trait stays strictly within homosexual individuals (which I'm fairly sure pretty much no one has basis to claim. Implicit: And no be pulling it out of their proverbial arse.). If the trait is recessive or rides on something else within the larger population, reproduction within the homosexual population is entirely likely to be completely irrelevant.

What I'm basically saying is, that while what you're saying may follow logically, you're making jumps you can't back up without unfounded conjecture. Considering you're making testable claims, that's kind of a deathblow for what you're proposing.

For some subjects there are simply no available studies. So unless you're gonna finance one, we have to settle for conjecturewaiting until there is one.
Incidentally, I've shifted that for you. When we're talking things that can influence policy or peoples actions in very meaningful ways, that's the direction you need to go.
Ask not!
Ask!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: January 07, 2012, 10:51:15 am »

So we're deciding policy now? I didn't get the memo.

And you're doing the same thing I am with the "often enough" line :P

Basically, you're just using the ultimate argument - "citation please" which can can be carried on ad infinitum (citations for citations of citations etc) to effectively filibuster a discussion.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: January 07, 2012, 10:58:57 am »

Influences, not decides :P There's certain folk that would use the sort of conclusion you were coming to for evil, unfortunately.

As to the second, there's a wee bit of a difference, there. I'll go ahead and state that the point I was making about logic not always gelling with reality is held as axiomatic by a considerably larger population (and it's also a lot easier to prove, repeatedly.) than the point that homosexual populations are genetically inviable due to lack of reproduction, yeah. They're also dealing with two different sort of claims; the one with the nature of logic, the other a physical fact.

Actually, I'm using the 'back up what you're saying' argument. Citation would be best considering you're making an actual empirical claim, but just addressing the numerous sans-citation-required points I and others have been making would be enough to keep the discussion going :P
Ask not!
Ask!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: January 07, 2012, 11:03:40 am »

Well I'd reply to points but then I was afraid I'd have to provide verification for my replies.

Anyway, as far as birth rate being proportional to frequency of sex is concerned, I posit that reliable contraception hasn't been around long enough to have any meaningful evolutionary impact.

Also, I posit that in the long-term there's no such thing as breeding "just enough", specimens that produce more viable offspring will eventually squeeze out of the ecological niche those that produce less.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 852