Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854018 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9285 on: January 05, 2012, 05:08:46 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/missing-dallas-teen-accidentally-deported-columbia-162535506.html

ICE is awesome.... Seriously, you guys can't check missing person's reports before deporting people...? I get that documentation is sparse and that she lied to you about her name (something 14 year old runaways do), but really? It just kind of astonishes me that no one ever saw this could happen. The notion that a child runaway would... lie about who she was to avoid going back where she ran away from....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: January 05, 2012, 05:20:17 pm »

Comments. Oh god. Why did I look at the comments.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:31:49 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: January 05, 2012, 06:19:07 pm »

I really didn't have a problem with the death wishes last page, Truean.  This thread seems partially a place for venting.  To have such feelings about someone who is actively pushing for your eradication is perfectly natural, and one very important note that everyone here should realize is you're not the type of person to actually act on those feelings, while the forces you are constantly pitted against are acting on them.  You of all people deserve a place to freely express your frustrations.

Some more poison from Santorum: "No one has ever died because they didn't have health care."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: January 05, 2012, 06:28:20 pm »

Rick Santorum - Gay People should stop being gay

???

Dear Senator Santorum,

Please find enclosed with this letter a pen. If you could be so kind, please stab yourself with it before jumping in front of a truck. People calling being gay a "behavioral issue," and thus a choice is the reason I was terrified to go to school as a child.

Sincerely hoping you really do die in agony that all bigots deserve,
Truean

Let me get this out of the way first: I in no way support Santorum. The man's a stupid bigot jumping on an anti-gay bandwagon in order to garner what little votes he can from the small (neo-conservative?) reactionary population.

That being said, has it been proven that homosexuality is a gene? Last I heard the entire human genome was discovered before homosexual rights were debated.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: January 05, 2012, 06:38:15 pm »

I don't believe anyone's found a "gay" gene. It'd be rather ridiculous regardless since damn near no one is 100% straight or 100% gay. "Gay" and "straight" are not mutually exclusive. Even if we found a gene that had a correlation to homosexuality, it'd be far from conclusive due to the extreme variation of sexualities that are out there.

I'm not sure it matters regardless. It's a personality trait that harms absolutely no one... well except when other people harm them for having said personality trait. Genetic, acquired, or conscious choice is irrelevant.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: January 05, 2012, 06:41:23 pm »

???

Dear Senator Santorum,

Please find enclosed with this letter a pen. If you could be so kind, please stab yourself with it before jumping in front of a truck. People calling being gay a "behavioral issue," and thus a choice is the reason I was terrified to go to school as a child.

Truean

Let me get this out of the way first: I in no way support Santorum. The man's a stupid bigot jumping on an anti-gay bandwagon in order to garner what little votes he can from the small (neo-conservative?) reactionary population.
Yes, can we please just ignore the crazy person in the corner?

That being said, has it been proven that homosexuality is a gene? Last I heard the entire human genome was discovered before homosexual rights were debated.
... I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The human genome was mapped, which is to say someone recorded an entire sequence of human genes, but that's not the same as saying you know what any of those genes do.

Although frankly, I don't really give a crap if it's biological, or mental, or a choice, or whatever. I don't really see how a biological imperative plays into the morality.
The, "it's not a choice" argument, is just something concocted to try (and usually fail) to make homophobes feel better.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: January 05, 2012, 06:48:44 pm »

ggamer, okay. So you don't really understand that genetics stuff. I'll try to give a bit of an overview.

First: No, there is no "gay" gene. Any more than there is a "blue eyed" gene or a "manic depressive gene" or a "huge muscles gene" or a "really smart" gene.

All genes do is make chemicals.

Second: Sex, brain development, and sexual attraction or all remarkably complicated. Almost identical genes are used to build men and women, even our sexual organs only start differentiating later in life. And genes aren't the only influence that plays a role! Remember, they only code for chemicals: This is why hormone therapies work. So we know both genes and environmental factors can play a role in the much simpler concept of biological sex, but there is definitely more than one gene involved. Hell, genetic sex gets a whole chromosome! That's a whole ton of genes, and its still not the only genetic factor. And this is significantly simpler than anything involving brain development. And even moreso with things involving sex, which involve a fuckton of our cultural circuitry as well. Lots and lots of interaction.

Third: We know genetics, or at the very least prenatal chemistry, play a strong role in homosexuality, though saying anything more than that is difficult. Most likely, homosexuality, like heterosexuality and cancer, has a large number of causes and variations that genetics plays a large but not comprehensive role in explaining.

Fourth: Even assuming it was 100% environmental and not genetic at all, there's no evidence we can change this once it happens. The brain settles into structures fairly early on that are very hard to change, and we only really understand a glimmer of how this happens or how it can be changed.

Fifth: Most evidence points to homosexuality/heterosexuality not being a binary at all, but rather two distinct traits influenced by distinct chemicals. So you'd actually have to fight two sets of chemical challenges to get someone from homosexual to heterosexual.

Sixth: A bit of evo psych: Most people have at least some attraction in both the "same gender" and "opposite gender" category. Straight homosexuals are rare because the chemistry usually goes in the most productive direction for gene propogation, but it needs to use most of those same genes for the opposite gender as well, so new combinations can have unexpected effects. Straight gene that helps guys reproduce by making them want women more may be selected for in a population even if women get the same effect when they have the gene, for example. And this is ignoring the evidence for evolutionary advantages to family members who are not reproductive competitors.

Finally: Most people are some variant of bisexual. See six. This mean culture plays a large role for some component of the population. This is probably part of why there's so much thinking that it is a "choice" - for many people, it probably is! But there are outliers on either end of the bell curve (a bell curve that is probably shifted well over to the heterosexual side for obvious reasons) for whom the attractions are unbalanced enough that no choice is to be had. But the fact is, 100% gay people exist, just like 100% straight people. And it really comes down to how we're going to treat them for it. considering they really don'y have much of a choice.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: January 05, 2012, 06:54:30 pm »

I wish I could, but there are a significant number of people who are seriously talking about him being president....

I really didn't have a problem with the death wishes last page, Truean.  This thread seems partially a place for venting.  To have such feelings about someone who is actively pushing for your eradication is perfectly natural, and one very important note that everyone here should realize is you're not the type of person to actually act on those feelings, while the forces you are constantly pitted against are acting on them.  You of all people deserve a place to freely express your frustrations.

Some more poison from Santorum: "No one has ever died because they didn't have health care."

Thank you. Quite frankly, I just got done with the holidays with my family who truly believes gays are pedophiles.... Yeah. When I hear anti gay slurs from young nieces and nephews encouraged by family members, it's torture. If you call anyone else a pedophile, then it's slander per se, which is slander that's really much easier to prove and win. "Of course," when you call a gay person a pedophile people "understand" (agree with on some level) that....

Quite frankly, it's not exactly but sorta like a black person hoping a KKK member dies, or at least has bad luck, but instead they get people cheering for said KKK member and saying they should lead the country.... ??? ? He's a bigot of that magnitude and I'd really say that to his face on camera; let him try to sue me over it.

I just don't even know what the hell to think anymore.

???

Dear Senator Santorum,

Truean

Choice, biology, who cares honestly? The main thing is the attitude towards it and the very real effort to eradicate gays.

Here's the problem: It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. Right now we gays just lose no matter what. People are so caught up in "whether or not it's a choice, but that doesn't matter at all. They've made it so that gay people in the US lose either way: choice or biology.

If it's a choice, then it's "naturally," the wrong choice. You're an unnatural criminal, a pervert, a sinner [insert insult here]. If you don't buy into it being the "wrong choice," then you're willingly choosing to be bad.... It's one thing to be young an foolish, but if you're old enough to know better, well then, now you're just irredeemable. Also, you're even worse because you'll recruit and teach others to be bad like you. You're a bad example, you immoral bastard....

If it's biology, then you're sick. You're insane. You need therapy or perhaps to be institutionalized and cured. If you don't buy into it being "sickness," then you're refusing to take your medicine and putting everyone else in danger, it's catching and you're going to get other people sick. Just like you, you sick bastard....

See how I just can't win either way?

Who cares why it is? I simply will never be happy in a relationship with a woman, period. I really, really tried to be straight, didn't work.

Being gay hasn't ruined my life, people's fucking attitudes about it has and will continue to do so in very concrete ways. Holy shit, I've lost count of the "friends" I had who disappeared off the face of the earth when they found out I'm gay. People also won't hire a "sissy" lawyer to defend them, no matter how good I am or the fact that it's often my services or prison.... How do you deal with that and the fact that the champion of your misery is being held up as the ideal to lead and save us all...? Yeah.... I vented and got a little pissed on the Internets.... How would you deal with it?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:32:12 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: January 05, 2012, 06:55:05 pm »

I wouldn't say he's "in the corner" at all - he got 24% of the votes during the Iowa caucus.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9297 on: January 05, 2012, 06:57:57 pm »

I wouldn't say he's "in the corner" at all - he got 24% of the votes during the Iowa caucus.

"Anyone but Obama...." ???

Please don't quote me.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: January 05, 2012, 07:06:33 pm »

I keep reading the the Iowa caucus has become irrelevant as a sampling of the whole of Republicans, and then also seeing it held up as the reason that Santorum is doing extremely well. Given the fact that I'm Canadian and kind of have to take all of this at face value from people, I'm kind of curious which one it is. Is the Iowa caucus irrelevant or not?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #9299 on: January 05, 2012, 07:41:51 pm »

I think the Iowa caucus is irrelevant to Santorum, when you consider how much he focused on it. He'll probably fail after this.
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 852