Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854193 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9240 on: January 04, 2012, 07:28:00 pm »

Or as someone who's name eludes me put it:
No means no. Maybe means no. Yes can also mean no.
What, uh. What's left? Everything means no but... what?

What about cases where it's 'yes' the day of, but 'no' the day (or couple months) after? Is there blame to be laid, there?

Basically, what's your solution to the stuff you're bringing up, since communication can apparently fail?

"yes can mean no" presumably means that there are some cases where even a "yes" can be insufficient for consent. See: Situations involving intimidation (or an abuse of authority, as a specific example) or drugs/alcohol.
This. She may say yes and act no and it's still no. Or even it may be that she acts yes and you act no (as in cases of intimidation).

And it's the duty of those involved to make it so that wen communication fails, the fail is as harmless if possible. It's better to accidentally not have an intimate evening then to accidentally assault your girlfriend.

This isn't like robbing a store, where it's implicit that the act is unacceptable.

Yes, it is implicit. "No means no" does not mean "Lack of 'no' means yes". If you can't actually get consent from the other person, there is a problem, whether they outright say "no" or not... pretty similarly to how you don't just assume you can walk out of a store without paying just because nobody told you to stop.
"Lack of no means yes" is just as ridiculous a leap as "lack of no means no." Lack of no means... nothing. We're talking about miscommunications here; obviously the potential rapist thought what they were doing was ok in the first place, so without any incoming information that they're doing something wrong, it's pretty unreasonable to expect them to stop.

Maybe we should be advocating "don't do anything without explicit consent" which I would be pretty fine with.
That would be a better way to put it indeed, though you always run into the problem of 'consent', when someone doesn't like what's going on but feels she can't say no.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:31:48 pm by Virex »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9241 on: January 04, 2012, 07:35:23 pm »

"Don't do anything without explicit consent" and "Lack of a yes means no" mean the exact same thing. They're both ways of saying that a lack of explicit consent means a lack of consent, period.
Eh, we're talking past each other here a bit. "Lack of evidence (affirmative or negative) = negative" is a fallacy. That's what I meant. However, asking people to assume "lack of evidence = negative" in this case (for their own and other's safety) is indeed identical to asking people to get explicit consent before doing anything, which is what you're saying.

Long story short, we agree. :)

Also: Doing something atrocious because you mistakenly think it's okay is still pretty atrocious. Not as atrocious, but still bad.
Doesn't make the act less atrocious, but it certainly makes the person less atrocious.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9242 on: January 04, 2012, 08:26:47 pm »

"Don't do anything without explicit consent" and "Lack of a yes means no" mean the exact same thing. They're both ways of saying that a lack of explicit consent means a lack of consent, period.
Eh, we're talking past each other here a bit. "Lack of evidence (affirmative or negative) = negative" is a fallacy. That's what I meant. However, asking people to assume "lack of evidence = negative" in this case (for their own and other's safety) is indeed identical to asking people to get explicit consent before doing anything, which is what you're saying.

"Lack of evidence = negative" is the assumption to make in pretty much all cases. That's how empirical reasoning and burden of proof work. Don't believe something (in this case, that someone is okay with having sex with you at a given moment) until evidence to that effect actually comes along.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #9243 on: January 04, 2012, 08:30:47 pm »

I'd say "lack of evidence = neutral", but whatever. The point is, you need a positive in this case, not a neutral or negative.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9244 on: January 04, 2012, 08:36:32 pm »

"Lack of evidence = negative" is the assumption to make in pretty much all cases. That's how empirical reasoning and burden of proof work. Don't believe something (in this case, that someone is okay with having sex with you at a given moment) until evidence to that effect actually comes along.

People confuse "Lack of evidence = evidence of negative" with "Lack of evidence = proof of negative". I've found that people have difficulty in distinguishing the two, and they (unknowingly) strawman Inductive arguments into Deductive ones.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9245 on: January 04, 2012, 08:43:27 pm »

Interjection:

I think the male oriented posters paint a terrible stereotype on all men and make people think only men can be rapists.

That is all.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9246 on: January 04, 2012, 08:46:31 pm »

I can see how someone who didn't read any of the preceding exchange could come to that conclusion.

...Besides, what the heck is a "male oriented poster"?

EDIT: Nevermind, I understand now.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:08:35 pm by Leafsnail »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9247 on: January 04, 2012, 08:59:59 pm »

Interjection:

I think the male oriented posters paint a terrible stereotype on all men and make people think only men can be rapists.

That is all.

I don't see how anybody's painting that st... you know what, I'm just going to go with what Leafsnail said so I don't have to basically repeat it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9248 on: January 04, 2012, 09:07:06 pm »

The posters in the ad campaign aimed at men, is what he's trying to say.  Not posters as in forum-goers.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9249 on: January 04, 2012, 09:07:53 pm »

I think he means wall posters oriented to males (at first I was confused and thought he meant people who post here who either were male or else were sexually oriented towards males)

Edit: ninjaed.

I think we have a communication problem in this thread
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9250 on: January 04, 2012, 09:08:14 pm »

Oh right.  I wouldn't go so far but that does make sense.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9251 on: January 04, 2012, 09:15:39 pm »

Rick Santorum - Gay People should stop being gay

???

Dear Senator Santorum,

Please find enclosed with this letter a pen. If you could be so kind, please stab yourself with it before jumping in front of a truck. People calling being gay a "behavioral issue," and thus a choice is the reason I was terrified to go to school as a child.

Sincerely hoping you really do die in agony that all bigots deserve,
Truean
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:17:57 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9252 on: January 04, 2012, 09:21:13 pm »

As awful as someone's policies are, can we please not wish death upon people in this thread?

Thanks.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9253 on: January 04, 2012, 09:23:40 pm »

Rick Santorum - Gay People should stop being gay

???

Dear Senator Santorum,

Please find enclosed with this letter a pen. If you could be so kind, please stab yourself with it before jumping in front of a truck. People calling being gay a "behavioral issue," and thus a choice is the reason I was terrified to go to school as a child.

Sincerely hoping you really do die in agony that all bigots deserve,
Truean
Dude, that's terrible. A pen wouldn't do nearly enough damage. Send a letter opener instead.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9254 on: January 04, 2012, 09:25:55 pm »

Yeah, I just have a problem with someone calling me immoral, saying what I am should be illegal, and that society should shun me all just because I'm gay, when they do things like this:

http://news.yahoo.com/santorum-surge-brings-ethics-questions-152702229.html

Let's seee:Mr. Claims to be a paragon of moral virtue....
You gave someone who donated to your pet "charity" *cough cough cough* $8 Million in federal taxpayer money.
Your personal mortgage is a sweatheart deal you never qualified for once you wade through the BS.
You never actually disprove any of the entirely valid claims against you, but rather just attack the accusers.
Plus lots more.

I'm immensely flawed, but I admit it.... One little problem people don't think about when banning people from society over little things: those people sometimes lose perspective of morality because "hey I'm already banned from society right? What else can they do to me?"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:37:57 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 615 616 [617] 618 619 ... 852