Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854730 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #9120 on: December 31, 2011, 03:42:49 pm »

...Aren't they synonyms? I'm failing to see the difference here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: December 31, 2011, 03:44:17 pm »

Capacity is something you have but haven't exploited. Potential is something you could have but haven't exploited.

A baby does not have the potential to grow into an adult, it has the capacity to. A fetus does not have the capacity to grow into a baby, it has the potential to.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: December 31, 2011, 03:46:41 pm »

There is a very important difference between capacity and potential.
You're going to have to clarify instead of state that. If there's a difference beyond semantic, I haven't noticed one. E: Which you do... I guess.

Capacity is something you have but haven't exploited. Potential is something you could have but haven't exploited.

A baby does not have the potential to grow into an adult, it has the capacity to. A fetus does not have the capacity to grow into a baby, it has the potential to.
Can you draw this out some more? Also, at what point does it shift from potential to capacity?

So the conclusion is that there isn't really a good reason for babies to be considered better than animals? Or do I have to strike baby-back ribs off the menu?
Nah, the conclusion is that the argument from potential is terribly flawed :P

I haven't personally seen an argument for human uniqueness (i.e. reason to value us over other creatures that isn't entirely selfish) that doesn't break down under logical scrutiny, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:48:22 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9123 on: December 31, 2011, 03:47:50 pm »

Even by your own semantics, there is no difference in capacity or potential between fetus->baby and baby->adult, MSH.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: December 31, 2011, 03:51:51 pm »

Even by your own semantics, there is no difference in capacity or potential between fetus->baby and baby->adult, MSH.
Yes there is, as I already explained. A fetus, up to a certain point, lacks a brain. It has the potential to grow one, but it does not have the mental capacity that comes with it until said potential is fulfilled.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9125 on: December 31, 2011, 03:55:46 pm »

But a brain has stages of development, it isn't automatically a fully adult brain.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: December 31, 2011, 03:56:47 pm »

Unfortunately, a baby does not have an adult's brain. It has the potential to grow one, but does not have the mental capacity that comes with it untill said potential is fulfilled.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: December 31, 2011, 04:02:13 pm »

They lack some of an adult's higher functions and operate under a severe lack of informed context, but don't they also have drastically higher learning ability than even most adults?  Certainly greater than the learning ability of a dog or pig.  A newborn just hasn't had the time yet to make use of it.

Not saying anyone's wrong here.  I've already outlined my stance.  I just want to see how this factors in.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: December 31, 2011, 04:02:49 pm »

But it does have a human brain nonetheless, and that is why a baby is a person and a fetus isn't.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: December 31, 2011, 04:05:08 pm »

But it does have a human brain nonetheless, and that is why a baby is a person and a fetus isn't.

I still find this a mostly useless idea, since you're then tasked with defining the point in fetal development at which it can be considered to have a developed enough brain to be considered human, and whether that development happens consistently enough within that predicted time frame in a large enough majority of pregnancies to be considered useful.

The same style of criticism can be leveled at Pnx's arguments as well.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: December 31, 2011, 04:08:57 pm »

I still find this a mostly useless idea, since you're then tasked with defining the point in fetal development at which it can be considered to have a developed enough brain to be considered human, and whether that development happens consistently enough within that predicted time frame in a large enough majority of pregnancies to be considered useful.
Using the end of the first trimester as a benchmark has been an accepted measure for a long time, and one I don't see any reason to change. Three months is plenty of time to get an abortion done, or rather that it would be if not for the constant state-level measures to make it as difficult and emotionally scarring experience as possible.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: December 31, 2011, 04:09:40 pm »

So as long as it's a human brain, and not an animal brain, it's a person. Because humans are humans, and animals are animals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: December 31, 2011, 04:11:48 pm »

So as long as it's a human brain, and not an animal brain, it's a person. Because humans are humans, and animals are animals.
Yeah, pretty much. You don't see animals building skyscrapers, so it's not exactly subjective to say that we're kind of the odd species out when it comes to mentality.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: December 31, 2011, 04:13:31 pm »

Using the end of the first trimester as a benchmark has been an accepted measure for a long time, and one I don't see any reason to change.

I should do a little research on why this benchmark is accepted, because the fact that it's accepted doesn't do anything for me.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: December 31, 2011, 04:14:22 pm »

Yeah, pretty much. You don't see animals building skyscrapers, so it's not exactly subjective to say that we're kind of the odd species out when it comes to mentality.

You do realize, "it's moral because we are human and we say so" isn't actually a valid argument?

Sometimes I really wonder if you're not just a troll.
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 852