Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 855947 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8850 on: December 25, 2011, 08:12:15 am »

Mmm, as far as "morality" goes applied to God...

We as humans already have tons of different metrics to define morality. What's to say God's isn't different from ours? It could be totally wacko, which would suck, but are you omniscient? :P

Anywho, yeah this is my beef with most Christians:
Jesus' message is a message of love, not hate, not persecution. If you're exercising the latter two, you are sinning. There's no biblical text you can hide behind strong enough to protect you from that. If there is going to be judgment, then God will judge**, but until then that man or woman is your brother or sister and as much a child of God as you are. You cannot, in good faith, act toward them differently than you act toward anyone else.
They don't follow this. Judge not, lest you be judged. People just love vengeance too much I guess to leave it in God's hands, though.

Another one that's often failed at following: "And unto him that smites you on the one cheek offer also the other; and he that takes away your cloak forbid not to take your coat also." My father has a serious problem with the latter half of that particular one; he's always talking about not letting people get the best of you/etc. Whenever I bring it up, he always stumbles a bit, then goes off on some bullshit rationalization. Thieves/etc are less than human to him. Great guy otherwise; just don't mess with his property rights.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: December 25, 2011, 10:09:11 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/black-navy-veteran-medal-wwii-actions-000748058.html

Black guy saves entire ship, but it wouldn't look good to give a black guy a metal for it.... The Captain, racist but realizing he owed his sorry ass's continued existence to the ensign, gave him extra leave and did not re station him back to sea. There are records of the consistently extended leave and transfer, as well as a couple people who wrote down what happened.... 66 years.... Wonder how many others just straight up didn't make it to 95 years old and will never even get a metal posthumously.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: December 25, 2011, 11:01:28 am »

As I recall, there was actually a president who awarded medals to those who were unable to receive them in years previous because of racism, including some medals of honor. Clinton maybe, but I'm not sure.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: December 26, 2011, 12:13:02 am »

Merry Holidays!

(I think it is screwed up that a significant number of people would be angered by the above statement.)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: December 26, 2011, 12:17:29 am »

Merry Holidays!

(I think it is screwed up that a significant number of people would be angered by the above statement.)
I think the're quite a few people who'd say the same thing about "Merry Christmas"

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: December 26, 2011, 12:27:24 am »

... urg.
Residents of an ultra-Orthodox neighborhood in Beit Shemesh called Israel police officers “Nazis” on Sunday, after they removed a sign ordering the separation of men and women in a street in that neighborhood.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: December 26, 2011, 12:47:25 pm »

... urg.
Residents of an ultra-Orthodox neighborhood in Beit Shemesh called Israel police officers “Nazis” on Sunday, after they removed a sign ordering the separation of men and women in a street in that neighborhood.

So basically that's a, "You're infringing upon my right to traditionally discriminate...." :(

There are some instances of separate but equal being ok between men and women (bathrooms, changing rooms, etc). This is why the Supreme Court subjects that only to "intermediate scrutiny," rather than "strict scrutiny." In some religions, there are even arguably valid differences. From what I gather many in Islam pray on hands and knees bent over in somewhat crowded rows on prayer mats. The body position and formation itself might be such an example as to why they separate the sexes when praying. Then again, Islam traditionally treats girls like crap anyhow.

However, we all know or should know it gets taken a tad too far, far too often.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 12:51:31 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: December 26, 2011, 12:57:38 pm »

Oh Christ it gets worse.
Millard’s client, who was charged with a minor in possession of alcohol, was asked repeatedly by the judge if he would pass a drug test. Millard politely asserted his client’s right to remain silent; however, Judge Post continued to press the issue and instructed Millard to sit down and be quiet. When Millard asserted his client’s constitutional rights again in response to further questions, the judge held him in contempt and sent him to jail.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: December 26, 2011, 01:11:35 pm »

I think the most dangerous profession in the world is a likable woman in a video game.  The easiest and cheapest way to add emotional impact to a story is to suddenly kill the girl.  Scifi horror seems like the worst.  In all likelihood the love interest in a scifi horror game/movie was dead the whole time.
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: December 26, 2011, 01:12:24 pm »

Or was the demons.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8860 on: December 26, 2011, 01:16:01 pm »

Oh Christ it gets worse.
Millard’s client, who was charged with a minor in possession of alcohol, was asked repeatedly by the judge if he would pass a drug test. Millard politely asserted his client’s right to remain silent; however, Judge Post continued to press the issue and instructed Millard to sit down and be quiet. When Millard asserted his client’s constitutional rights again in response to further questions, the judge held him in contempt and sent him to jail.
Oh, wow. I guess law has finally been taken behind the shed and shot in the head.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: December 26, 2011, 03:31:06 pm »

He took me on a dinner date once for our anniversary. We held hands and sat right next to one another. We didn't kiss in public or anything but it was far too obvious.... Some guy came up to us and said, "Do you mind, my family is here...." The implications were quite obvious.
Rob's reply was, "So is mine...." He stared him down; the implications were quite obvious.... Frankly I was at once flattered to be called his family and terrified at the situation. This was one of the more open ones.

Damn, that guy seems great. I hope you'll find another good one.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: December 26, 2011, 04:28:54 pm »

Oh Christ it gets worse.
Oh, wow. I guess law has finally been taken behind the shed and shot in the head.

Gah.... People have no idea the shit I deal with daily and somehow manage to assert that they don't want to pay me for doing it. I sue them and my malpractice insurance goes up just because I sued them, even though I was right, win, and have a perfect ethics complaint record of them all being completely unfounded and retaliatory bullshit by people trying to scare me off collecting my fee. I swear to god, I will chase them to the five corners of hell for that money come what may.

Let me guess, this was an elected judge wasn't it? O, I can't lie so blatantly in court, but also can't assert constitutional rights of my clients to not answer questions. This judge needs written up and dragged before the state bar, preferably kicking and screaming if possible.
"He asked the lawyer on the way to jail for contempt if he had learned his lesson...." You need formal discipline for violating the code of judicial conduct judge....

The reason the legal system (not "justice" system) in this country is so unfair, is because the benches are stacked with former prosecutors. We need someone who gives a more of a shit about constitutional rights than just throwing bodies in prison. The US has more people in Prison than Communist China which has many times our population. Are the criminals just somehow worse here...?

He took me on a dinner date once for our anniversary. We held hands and sat right next to one another. We didn't kiss in public or anything but it was far too obvious.... Some guy came up to us and said, "Do you mind, my family is here...." The implications were quite obvious.
Rob's reply was, "So is mine...." He stared him down; the implications were quite obvious.... Frankly I was at once flattered to be called his family and terrified at the situation. This was one of the more open ones.

Damn, that guy seems great. I hope you'll find another good one.

Thank you, here's hoping. I'm seeing a guy now who seems pretty nice. He's invited me over to watch season one of "The Big Bang Theory," a TV show he got on DVD for Christmas. Let's hope this goes well.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 04:34:18 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: December 26, 2011, 04:41:28 pm »

The US has more people in Prison than Communist China which has many times our population.

This might be down to how many of them they shoot more than anything else, and how many that the world doesnt know about...
This is a blank sig.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: December 26, 2011, 04:44:33 pm »

It's down to much more than that, trust me.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 852