Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856108 times)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8820 on: December 24, 2011, 10:35:41 pm »

Those are both coming from the community.

The community considers gold to be valuable, therefore it is.

So you mean to say that the only reason anyone values anything is because everyone else values it? I am perplexed.

I'm just saying that it's a bad precedent to place intrinsic value on anything because a community values it, then judge a person based on that community value.

Except we do this all of the time. We value human life, and so we judge murders poorly. We value racial equality, and so we judge racists harshly.

But... if a community values something, then it's possible to destroy it to attack the community. The community value is important here. And if you're attacking the community because it's a black community, then you're committing a hate crime. I don't see the problem here?

I think perhaps we are all misunderstanding what one another is saying and making us all very confused.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8821 on: December 24, 2011, 10:37:10 pm »

So, if a community values different sex marriage, anyone attempting to violate that value is committing a hate crime?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: December 24, 2011, 10:38:11 pm »

Everybody is part of a community.

What is community value if not the sum of the values of its members?

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8823 on: December 24, 2011, 10:39:53 pm »

I would seem to be right. We are very confused.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #8824 on: December 24, 2011, 10:40:49 pm »

So, if a community values different sex marriage, anyone attempting to violate that value is committing a hate crime?
Actually, yes (not exactly a hate crime, though, more just "wrong"). I wouldn't want to force a certain church to marry a gay couple.

That's why we have other places to go to.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: December 24, 2011, 10:42:07 pm »

No, doing something a person/community does not like is not a hate crime.

Committing a crime against a person/community due to the race/sex/sexuality/sexual identity/etc of that person/community is a hate crime.

I don't see why you don't think that hate crime laws can apply to communities and people without somehow changing its definition. Like, instead of doing it to hurt that one evil black person, they're doing it to hurt a bunch of evil black people. That does not somehow remove the hate crime status.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: December 24, 2011, 10:42:26 pm »

Community value == Mob rule
Actually, yes (not exactly a hate crime, though, more just "wrong"). I wouldn't want to force a certain church to marry a gay couple.

Do the members of a church not have some other place to go?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #8827 on: December 24, 2011, 10:44:21 pm »

No. But... this is the church that doesn't want gay people to marry, why would they leave?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8828 on: December 24, 2011, 10:45:39 pm »

It's their church. You don't need to go there.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: December 24, 2011, 10:48:25 pm »

No. But... this is the church that doesn't want gay people to marry, why would they leave?
I'm not saying they should.  The church that burnt down though, if nobody as hurt, should be able to find a place to worship.  I don't see why the person that burnt down the church should be judge more harshly becaue it was a church.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8830 on: December 24, 2011, 10:51:17 pm »

I agree, except that it isn't just because it is a church. It is a symbol of the community and its burning is a symbol of hatred and oppression.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #8831 on: December 24, 2011, 10:53:30 pm »

A person that burns a church should be punished more (than a person that burns a single house) simply because it's a community building. It's comparable to burning a... park? I dunno, some kind of community center. Whether it was motivated by racism or whatever else or not should come afterwards and is a separate issue.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: December 24, 2011, 10:59:12 pm »

I agree, except that it isn't just because it is a church. It is a symbol of the community and its burning is a symbol of hatred and oppression.
So a gay couple violating the symbol of a community's religion is showing hatred and oppression?  They are symbolically burning that symbology of marriage.  Gay couples could live together without getting married and live the rest of their lives in peace with the community, but they choose to force upon the community their view of that symbol.

Do you not see how placing extra value on community tradition is a bad thing?
A person that burns a church should be punished more (than a person that burns a single house) simply because it's a community building. It's comparable to burning a... park? I dunno, some kind of community center. Whether it was motivated by racism or whatever else or not should come afterwards and is a separate issue.
So a person that defies a community symbol should be judged more harsh because the mob prefers it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 11:02:31 pm by Andir »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8833 on: December 24, 2011, 11:07:24 pm »

So a person that defies a community symbol should be judged more harsh because the mob prefers it.
That's how human societies tend to work, yes.

Since the majority overwhelms, when something is valued by a larger number of people its valued higher because demand is greater, and when that thing is attacked damages are perceived as greater. It's hard to imagine the system operating differently.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8834 on: December 24, 2011, 11:10:19 pm »

So a gay couple violating the symbol of a community's religion is showing hatred and oppression?  They are symbolically burning that symbology of marriage.  Gay couples could live together without getting married and live the rest of their lives in peace with the community, but they choose to force upon the community their view of that symbol.
ah no. Gay marriage is not an assalt on traditional marriage at all, and anyone making such an assertion is either lying or ignorant.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 852