Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856331 times)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8790 on: December 24, 2011, 04:33:43 pm »

[/rant]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[rant]

I really think we should refrain from making nebulous, unsubstantiated generalizations about people, even if they are people that make nebulous, unsubstantiated generalizations.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8791 on: December 24, 2011, 04:37:41 pm »

*snip*

Unless I just completely misinterpreted what you were saying. I can't really tell. In which case I echo Fenrir.

EDIT 2: I did indeed misinterpret it. Nevermind me.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:40:46 pm by freeformschooler »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8792 on: December 24, 2011, 04:41:11 pm »

Everywhere Truean used the words “lazy leeches”, he was making use of irony, and really meant the opposite, or so it seems to me.

EDIT: Posted before freeformschooler’s edit. These are not the droids for which you are looking.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:42:45 pm by Fenrir »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8793 on: December 24, 2011, 04:48:46 pm »

I have a somewhat relevant annoyance about that, though. Actually, really relevant. Truean touched on the subject of people who eat at soup kitchens and are legitimately crazy. I want to say it's frustrating how there's no good way of helping these people. I know plenty who just get their Social Security checks stolen merely because they have no one left to care for them. Several of them my dad has been dealing with for his entire career because there are no organizations in place to properly deal with them beyond

1) Soup kitchens and rescue mission type places to provide them food and shelter
2) Social workers who absolutely detest being called for the millionth time about the same crazy person and their newest problem
3) Shoving them under a prison for 10 years in case they do something wrong and are incapable of understanding it

Most of the really crazy ones (Schizophrenia is the big hitter around here) end up in 3. If they don't, it's a cycle of being bounced like a pinball between people like my dad at 1 and people like my grandma at 2.

At least that's what it's like around here. I don't even like using the word "crazy", even though the people I'm talking about do fall under that definition.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:51:36 pm by freeformschooler »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8794 on: December 24, 2011, 05:13:39 pm »

Between the quotation marks, the strike through, bolding the word people, and my volunteering at said soup kitchen, yups, sarcasm, snark, and disdain at people calling them leeches. They are not. Its kinda sad we can't freaking fully feed/house these people on Christmas.... Wherefore art thou O ye overly preachy Christian Republicans who claim to follow Jesus but do none of the things he did, while wearing a bracelet asking what he'd do...? Is it cause someone has trouble remembering? Is thine ass parked in front of yonder TV demanding all the images ye old religion findeth distasteful...eth? The funny thing is, I see a fair amount of gays at el soup kitchen this holiday season cause they have no family to go home to and/or have been kicked out of said family for being gay on religious grounds.... Even one guy who was not so very nice to me on a date once [shiver]....

O yeah, as an attorney, I get crazy people calling, asking to sue someone every once in a while. I mean literally crazy people. They want me to sue the mayor for putting lawn gnomes with cameras in them places, or Bill Gates, or a hospital for admitting them to a psych ward or something. It's never a comfy conversation to say the least.... I've also had some guardianships spring out of foreclosure defenses for old people (funny how when your senses leave you along with the rest of your family you get behind on your bills...). They are far from profitable to say the least and immensely draining. They tend to end with my freaking committing someone to a nursing home when possible if I can cajole medicare into paying for it. And, if you don't qualify for medicare or medicaid.... Well.... I've just started hoping I commit them BEFORE they freak out in the middle of a grocery store or start slapping someone in the face (actually happened with someone with dementia).

We throw people away in this country, undeservedly so as a rule.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:19:04 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8795 on: December 24, 2011, 05:23:18 pm »

So it seems we have moved from torturing the insane to merely ignoring them. Progress, I suppose, though I do wonder if anyone actually thought that the electricution was helping. Lobotomies are another one that boggles me — oh, his brain isn’t working! Let us stab it with something pointy and sharp, or maybe even dissolve some of his frontal lobe, and he’ll be as right as rain.

Yes, madmen have not been getting proper care at all. Let us hope we see that change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8796 on: December 24, 2011, 05:29:10 pm »

... We need a second coming of Dorothea Dix.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8797 on: December 24, 2011, 05:49:01 pm »

Something positive? :O  A tv interview about Dan Savage, who runs all sorts of things to give advice about sex and also help to gay people.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8798 on: December 24, 2011, 08:03:51 pm »

They love the biblical part about gays being bad, but then seem to forget about this one : “I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:23-24 Funny how that works out.

I actually had a really conservative girl tell me that the "eye of a needle" referred to some archway with that name that a camel would have to kneel to get through, meaning that a rich person would just have to be humble and pious to get into heaven, not actually giving away their stuff.

Something positive? :O  A tv interview about Dan Savage, who runs all sorts of things to give advice about sex and also help to gay people.

Dan Savage, who, as a rich white man, gives the most privileged and unrealistic advice a gay person could give. He gets some criticism pretty regularly from the realistic LGTB crowd, like his one thing about "I know kids in high school get bullied but once you're done it gets better! See, me and my husband went to france and adopted a kid!" Well guess what, Dan Savage, not everyone is capable of doing that.

/ruining positive things

This video isn't too bad, but I had to be that guy.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8799 on: December 24, 2011, 08:19:04 pm »

They love the biblical part about gays being bad, but then seem to forget about this one : “I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” Matthew 19:23-24 Funny how that works out.

I actually had a really conservative girl tell me that the "eye of a needle" referred to some archway with that name that a camel would have to kneel to get through, meaning that a rich person would just have to be humble and pious to get into heaven, not actually giving away their stuff.

It is quite a small hole for a camel. I saw a video with them doing it once, and it's quite odd seeing them pushing and shoving that camel through that hole. I wonder if god cares at all how many camels they manage to push through there?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8800 on: December 24, 2011, 08:20:37 pm »

I thought it turned out there was no historical evidence for such a thing existing?
*Hugs*

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8801 on: December 24, 2011, 08:23:08 pm »

It does not much matter anyway. Truean’s post was more about cherrypicking the Bible than the logistics of shoving camels in holes.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8802 on: December 24, 2011, 08:37:03 pm »

[/quote]

This is one of those passages I think of when people say "well, the Bible is open to several interpretations..."

Spoiler: Matthew (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mark (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Luke (click to show/hide)

So for those of you keeping score, three out of four authors who were compiling Jesus's Best-Of collection saw fit to include this bit. There is disagreement in who was asking the question, there is disagreement in parts of the first response. The bit that's important here? Repeated exactly in each of them. Sell everything you have, give it to the poor, and then follow me.

Note that in each instance, the person who is asking is already following every commandment that Jesus lists other than the new directive he's given.

I honestly don't feel this one is up for any alternate interpretation but the one that is given very directly. The context should make that abundantly clear.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8803 on: December 24, 2011, 08:42:37 pm »

But, if I give all of my stuff to the poor, will not that make it harder for them to get into Heaven? Therefore, I am helping everyone by keeping my stuff.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 08:46:18 pm by Fenrir »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8804 on: December 24, 2011, 08:47:12 pm »

Ah yes, the man who hoards all the wealth in the world is truly our greatest martyr.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 852