Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 856663 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8625 on: December 20, 2011, 07:53:34 pm »

Yeah, that took a lot of guts. He should have all of the praise.

Totally Nobel Prize of Macguyvering too.
Love, scriver~

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: December 20, 2011, 09:12:39 pm »

Wow that's amazing.  And to manage a big tech breakthrough in a poor country that's incredibly prudish... dang.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: December 20, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »

The more I see that sort of stuff, the more I'm convinced genius and eccentricity don't just go hand in hand, they're actually the same thing.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: December 20, 2011, 09:33:43 pm »

Wow that's amazing.  And to manage a big tech breakthrough in a poor country that's incredibly prudish... dang.
Yeah, it seems to me that a lot of India's social issues arise from the local culture's prudishness. That this guy was willing to blatently defy that to invent something that he can't even directly benefit from is fairly awesome.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: December 20, 2011, 09:55:04 pm »

He's basically brilliant. Yet another example of society's prudishness holding it back, slowly overcome.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: December 20, 2011, 09:56:10 pm »

The more I see that sort of stuff, the more I'm convinced genius and eccentricity don't just go hand in hand, they're actually the same thing.

It seems to me that genius is a type of eccentricity. As the universe is deterministic, so far as I know, in order to achieve uncommon results, one must employ uncommon methods. If geniuses acted like everyone else, then what about them would be genius?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: December 20, 2011, 10:00:00 pm »

I would say that in the technical sense genius probably qualifies as a type of mental illness, but obviously with far more beneficial effects. Brilliant people seem to be unstable a lot, and there have been studies that suggest that not only does having a low IQ make you more likely to have a mental illness, so does having a high IQ.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: December 20, 2011, 10:44:16 pm »

I like how he originally embarks on the quest for his wife, but it causes his wife to leave him, but he keeps on keeping on anyway. Probably through some sense of "Damn... well... too deep to stop now!" and he continued to make something that benefits women in poor countries everywhere, and eventually got his wife back through being awesome, if in a weird way.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: December 21, 2011, 12:18:08 am »

I knew those hyperbolas were on to something! [/ObscureMathJoke]
Soaplent green is goblins!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: December 21, 2011, 12:36:46 am »

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2011/06/home-depot-tells-anti-gay-hate-group-afa-what-they-can-do-with-their-petition/

:) I will never shop at Lowe's again,and would purchase at Home Depot for twice the price.

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: December 21, 2011, 01:20:14 am »

That site is down, but I think this is the same article, going by headline.

Definitely a sharp contrast with Lowe's. I gained a modicum for respect for Home Depot today. (Not that it matters much, what with neither store being within an hour's drive of here, but still.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8636 on: December 21, 2011, 03:00:05 am »

you know, i think that those members of the afa should try a concentration camp for a couple of weeks.
either they come out sane, or they don't come out at all. Problem solved.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: December 21, 2011, 03:05:30 am »

I haven't seen anything from Lowe's. What'd they do?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: December 21, 2011, 03:07:48 am »

Stopped airing their commercials during a program that portrayed homosexuality positively, iirc. Why? Because idiots like those complained.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: December 21, 2011, 03:18:24 am »

What, they pulled another ad? I'm only familiar with them pulling an ad off TLC after that channel started a reality show about average American Muslims not murdering everybody, and somebody complained about it.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 852