Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857094 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8461 on: December 16, 2011, 03:38:45 pm »

We don't need these millionaire parasites, the elected ones or the unelected ones. They can't survive without us. Perhaps it's nearly time they learn that lesson. A mass consumer boycott would be lovely and nearly in season.

If the people, on the whole, were informed and capable enough (and in a position!) to stage a mass boycott... well, let me put it this way: The reasons why they're not are exactly why we're in this boat in the first place, and why capitalism and democracy are imperfect.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: December 16, 2011, 03:42:24 pm »

We don't need these millionaire parasites, the elected ones or the unelected ones. They can't survive without us. Perhaps it's nearly time they learn that lesson. A mass consumer boycott would be lovely and nearly in season.

If the people, on the whole, were informed and capable enough (and in a position!) to stage a mass boycott... well, let me put it this way: The reasons why they're not are exactly why we're in this boat in the first place, and why capitalism and democracy are imperfect.

I believe the term would be "monopsony." I actually know how to do it by starting what is essentially a buyer's club playing suppliers against each other. It's a game companies play with their suppliers all the time. You get mass discounts for buying in bulk and then distribute that bulk or stock up on it. Unfortunately, don't have the time. This would be especially lovely with the practice called "Extreme couponing."
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:45:35 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8463 on: December 16, 2011, 03:45:04 pm »

How many people would join in, though? And how many would even know about it, or have the time or opportunity to bother? I'm not sure you'd be able to get more than a small minority of consumers.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: December 16, 2011, 03:46:44 pm »

How many people would join in, though? And how many would even know about it, or have the time or opportunity to bother? I'm not sure you'd be able to get more than a small minority of consumers.

Yes.

Unfortunately, people are too selfish for their own good and won't band together to place a foot on a neck, even though it would mean them realizing significant savings.

With enough people, I could, without the slightest exaggeration, get people 20% off their grocery bill. Unfortunately, it's a "That's stupid." Culture.  "That" is everything. I guarantee you, if I buy 10 semi truckloads of detergent from P & G they will give me discounts and kiss my feet. This would be especially true if I offered to pay them slightly more than the current middle man retail stores while realizing a lesser profit if any on the sale itself.

Warehouse, publicity, people paying de minimus dues and hatred for competitors = monopsony.
The unfortunate missing ingredient is people caring.

Companies care about big customers, placing big orders. O yes, they do.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:51:03 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8465 on: December 16, 2011, 03:53:03 pm »

Yes.

Unfortunately, people are too selfish for their own good and won't band together to place a foot on a neck, even though it would mean them realizing significant savings.

With enough people, I could, without the slightest exaggeration, get people 20% off their grocery bill. Unfortunately, it's a "That's stupid." Culture.  "That" is everything. I guarantee you, if I buy 10 semi truckloads of detergent from P & G they will give me discounts and kiss my feet. This would be especially true if I offered to pay them slightly more than the current middle man retail stores while realizing a lesser profit if any on the sale itself.

Warehouse, publicity, people paying de minimus dues and hatred for competitors = monopsony.

i could reduce the overall taxes on the italian population, through a series of terrible cuts which would only influence the political castes, if i were only to be named dictator of italy. i already have layed down plans to reduce crime, increase production, and reduce the cost of inmates in prisons while effectively giving them a chance to rehabilitation.
i also have plans to perfectly solve the unemployed problem.
problem is, i'm son of noone, born of no one, and will never be heard by the entirety of the italian population.
therefore italy will certainly crumble one day.
i should post somewhere one day my plans, like a sort of "new constitution" but i am uncapable of lawish stuff.
i keep things simple.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: December 16, 2011, 03:57:10 pm »

Yes.

i could reduce the overall taxes on the italian population, through a series of terrible cuts which would only influence the political castes, if i were only to be named dictator of italy. i already have layed down plans to reduce crime, increase production, and reduce the cost of inmates in prisons while effectively giving them a chance to rehabilitation.
problem is, i'm son of noone, born of no one, and will never be heard by the entirety of the italian population.
i should post somewhere one day my plans, like a sort of "new constitution" but i am uncapable of lawish stuff.
i keep things simple.

Nothing so grand. All it would take is incorporating a new company or not-for-profit. I already do this for a couple companies to buy time to keep them from going under. Sometimes the supplier games provide enough breathing room to avoid a chapter 11 bankruptcy and others.... There are times when they are too far gone....

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8468 on: December 16, 2011, 04:01:49 pm »

i keep things simple.

I bet you'd make the trains arrive on time too.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: December 16, 2011, 04:14:56 pm »

Secondly, the rick spend a larger proportion of the money they have than the poor do, as they can actually afford to have savings.

You mean smaller, right?
Er, right, this is what I meant to say, for the reasons that G-Flex gave.

i keep things simple.
The thing about economic and political systems is that it is never that simple. (Well, usally never that simple. Admittedly some things are blatantly stupid, like debtors prison.)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:27:06 pm by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8470 on: December 16, 2011, 04:20:05 pm »

i keep things simple.

I bet you'd make the trains arrive on time too.

it's not difficult.
you mechanize the entire procedure, like they did in tourin with the metro system.
you then have the train drivers of now incorporated among the train security, per wagon, and actually train them in close combat. granting them the same permissions to fine arrests as policemans, but only until a policeman doesn't come to grab the "criminal". in this way you keep up the jobs sector, without having to fire anyone as the informatization advances.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8471 on: December 16, 2011, 05:35:47 pm »

Hold on here? Who has the incredibly effective propaganda machine?

http://news.yahoo.com/fla-congressman-draws-ire-nazi-comparison-204402366.html
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: December 16, 2011, 05:41:59 pm »

Whelp, Godwin's Law. Everyone go home, nothing to see here

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: December 16, 2011, 05:55:32 pm »

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the logic there.

Democrats shift public opinion (this isn't even true...)
Nazis shift public opinion
Democrats = Nazis!

And all other times when public opinion shifts are because...? Yet this guy is somebody placed in a position of power and paid for saying crap like this. I don't even...
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8474 on: December 16, 2011, 06:14:34 pm »

...another technique from Goebbel's school of propaganda is to deny that you're doing something unsavory, and say that your opponent does instead (regardless of whether it's true or not.)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 852