Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857522 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8265 on: December 14, 2011, 12:36:51 am »

Except that's not true. He says: "Keep America America" not "American". That makes a large difference, as what he actually said is a lame "good old days" fallacy instead of the motto of the KKK.
I dunno, lots of articles point to the contrary, from a quick Google search.

According to that last one, he said it about a year ago, too. I'm not sure how biased each source is, so I grabbed a whole bunch.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: December 14, 2011, 12:39:31 am »

Except that's not true. He says: "Keep America America" not "American". That makes a large difference, as what he actually said is a lame "good old days" fallacy instead of the motto of the KKK.

According to that last one, he said it about a year ago, too. I'm not sure how biased each source is, so I grabbed a whole bunch.
All of these articles are running with a simple mistake that has turned into a panicked media hellstorm. Listen to the video. He doesn't say "Keep America American", he says "Keep America America". It's an unfortunate similarity, but it's not the same thing by a long shot.

Look, I'm not defending Romney. I don't like him in any way, shape, or form. But this is a matter of accuracy. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: December 14, 2011, 12:44:59 am »

All of these articles are running with a simple mistake that has turned into a panicked media hellstorm. Listen to the video. He doesn't say "Keep America American", he says "Keep America America". It's an unfortunate similarity, but it's not the same thing by a long shot.

Look, I'm not defending Romney. I don't like him in any way, shape, or form. But this is a matter of accuracy.

Let's even assume you're correct for a moment.

It's between:

1.) "Keep America American."
2.) "Keep America America."

We're literally talking about one letter difference. Easy mistake if it is one. Very easy. Too close for comfort.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #8268 on: December 14, 2011, 12:45:45 am »

Not to mention they're not that different in meaning in the first place.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: December 14, 2011, 12:55:37 am »

Woah, I've gotta ask... with all the crazy, counterintuitive, and just plain stupid things that all of the GOP candidates have done, is this really all that important? To me it just seems that we already know these people are insane without nitpicking one little phrase, and the people who actually do support them won't change their minds over something that could easily be mistaken. Oh god, maybe I have simply been desensitized by the sexual harrassment, blatant lies and... umm... uh... oh god what was the third one?
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: December 14, 2011, 01:00:06 am »

It's literally what he says. How is it even up for debate?!
It's between:

We're literally talking about one letter difference. Easy mistake if it is one. Very easy. Too close for comfort.
They are entirely different statements, as I mentioned before.

1.) "Keep America American." -The historical slogan of the KKK. Used to mark racist white protestants as the only true Americans, and to say that America is composed of them and should continue to be.
2.) "Keep America America." -References an imaginary "good old days" when America was "land of the free, home of the brave". Implies that we are moving away from that and that electing Romney as president is a step to retain America as it was in this imaginary scenario.

One letter can make a world of difference. (Also, even if he did actually adopt their slogan, it wouldn't make any sense. The KKK hate a great deal of things, and among those things are Mormons. Such as Mitt Romney.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: December 14, 2011, 01:10:41 am »

It's literally what he says. How is it even up for debate?!
It's between:

They are entirely different statements, as I mentioned before.

1.) "Keep America American." -The historical slogan of the KKK. Used to mark racist white protestants as the only true Americans, and to say that America is composed of them and should continue to be.
2.) "Keep America America." -References an imaginary "good old days" when America was "land of the free, home of the brave". Implies that we are moving away from that and that electing Romney as president is a step to retain America as it was in this imaginary scenario.

One letter can make a world of difference. (Also, even if he did actually adopt their slogan, it wouldn't make any sense. The KKK hate a great deal of things, and among those things are Mormons. Such as Mitt Romney.)

A fair deal of people are confused on the issue of very similar sounding words.... If its a mistake, certainly you can see it's a reasonable one to make?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: December 14, 2011, 01:29:01 am »

It sounded like there was an 'n' to me, but I imagine he'll make a statement about it soon.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: December 14, 2011, 01:59:56 am »

In any case, I'd be completely willing to believe he didn't intend the KKK reference. The presence of the letter is surely irrelevant compared to the intent of the statement, right? That's what we care about?

It's pretty easy to believe a conservative would try to win points by selling a glorified past, and that he hadn't actually heard the phrase before (I mean, I say that because I hadn't, but I know I'm only one data point - all I mean to say is that it's plausible he didn't know such a reference could be drawn). It's much harder to believe that a politician of any group would publicly and deliberately declare support for the KKK.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: December 14, 2011, 04:03:54 am »

In any case, I'd be completely willing to believe he didn't intend the KKK reference. The presence of the letter is surely irrelevant compared to the intent of the statement, right? That's what we care about?
Not to some people! Intent is irrelevant compared to what they want to hear.

Not pointing at anyone in this thread, but it happens all too often. People love getting offended and will take any opportunity even if they know the insult was unintentional or misheard.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: December 14, 2011, 04:57:09 am »

It's pretty easy to believe a conservative would try to win points by selling a glorified past, and that he hadn't actually heard the phrase before (I mean, I say that because I hadn't, but I know I'm only one data point - all I mean to say is that it's plausible he didn't know such a reference could be drawn). It's much harder to believe that a politician of any group would publicly and deliberately declare support for the KKK.

"Four years later, as the newly instituted KKK police dragged him to the lynching field, this statement would haunt Bauglir's memory"
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: December 14, 2011, 05:00:59 am »

It does give him an easy way out:
In "select" company: Yea, you see, I agree with you. I even adopted your slogan.

Everywhere else: No, you see, there's an N missing. I don't agree with them at all.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: December 14, 2011, 07:22:13 am »

Whether the similarity is intentional or not, both slogans still represent a very exclusionary and traditionalist attitude of what "American" (or "American") means.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: December 14, 2011, 07:48:54 am »

It's called a dog whistle, folks. It's a message that tells the xenophobes "Hey, I'm one of you" but stays plausibly neutral enough that Romney can keep it on the down low.

Also works as a subtle jab at Perry, who's seen as soft on immigration.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8279 on: December 14, 2011, 07:56:01 am »

on more recent international news:
switzerland is now piraty pirate! a new stronghold for peer to peer.

a men decides to take a vacation by publishing his mother's death on the journal, to avoid being fired for asking for a vacation; she's still alive and obviously didn't know anything, so the 45 years old employed will probably be fired never the less. (american)

another one in norway began shooting with a mitra on the crowd, 5 deaths, 130 more wounded, of which many heavily.

in italy a follower of the fascist and extreme right winged movement shot down a bunch of Nigerians in Firenze and then took his life.
Of the same wavelength, 5 extreme right winged with their leader got arrested for ties in terrorism in italy.

Thing to discuss:

Extremism, is it an answer to the human despair of powerlessness, or is it the result of no knowledge in the matter?
and are pirates right or wrong with the industry?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 852