Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 857600 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread
« Reply #8205 on: December 12, 2011, 07:29:42 pm »

You can't be sure of that.

Never doubt the potential of bureaucratic institutions to be completely bass-akwards in any and all situations; regardless of their simplicity or legality. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: December 12, 2011, 07:34:55 pm »

*shrug*

I'll take it pass/no pass anyway.  I fail it, no one in the universe cares, it doesn't end up in my GPA, etc., etc.

Actually, I'm frankly just not sure about what to do about it.  It's a huge bucket of offensiveness.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: December 12, 2011, 08:03:24 pm »

Welcome back, don't follow the link I submitted earlier to avoid ruining your day.

The American gun market is being bought by one giant company, the "freedom group". Despite their name ,that would only be appropriate for a group of dangerous terrorist, I suppose the only consequence of this is that guns will become expensive and of poor quality. But still, a private company, most of the gun market... relocation of the factories in china?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: December 12, 2011, 09:39:03 pm »

Yeah, definitely <3  Truean, you're even more adorable than ever >_<

:D Yay
Some of you may remember my campaign to get rid of the Autism club.

Well, things have become even more serious.  You may particularly enjoy testing your chops on the "assignments."

Not yay. I used to enjoy pestering professors like this.

Not quite "irritation and annoyance" worthy, but hey, nice article about a trans girl in a for-real newspaper!

Nice to see you back, Vector. :)
That's kind of sweet actually.
Cried. It's unspeakably awesome she doesn't have to grow up like I did. It's all too speakable how people are still jerks to her....

It is amazing how bigoted assholes protest and are actually listened to in this country. There is no sane reason why that little girl can't use a girls' room. She dresses and acts the part, and would get beaten the hell out of in a boys' room. I know this firsthand, and I NEVER let anyone know I was trans in high school (7 broken ribs, not being able to breathe through your broken nose, and waking up as an unidentifiable, bruised-on-over-3/4-of-my-face "John Doe" in a hospital bed teaches you that. The bruises and contusions remind you what happened when you wake. The nurse leaning over your bed asking who you are, makes you ask the same question.).

Also, http://news.yahoo.com/saudi-arabia-executes-woman-convicted-sorcery-132159048.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:08:11 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: December 13, 2011, 01:26:09 am »

Definitely a good story. Rare to hear one like that that ends well.

@Truean - Sweet bajeebus. That... that happened?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: December 13, 2011, 01:36:11 am »

Happened, happens, is probably happening. From what I've kinda' half-arse picked up, that sort of thing is -- if not exactly common -- at least practiced in some areas. Doesn't happen to just women, of course. Execution for sorcery crosses gender boundries ::)

E: Unless it was the assault. Stuff like that's happened around where I'm at, too (Though to homosexuals primarily, no transgendered folk. The latter stay the bloody fuck away from the area I live in, out of safety concerns. One day, money, moving, never coming back. Or the snapping and the fire, either way.) Part of me's always going to be saddened/fucking pissed with myself I haven't done more to mitigate that shit, but the majority of me didn't want my legs broken and ribs forcibly shifted around. Or shot.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:38:47 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: December 13, 2011, 01:53:09 am »

Well, to both, I guess. IT was primarily at the assault, though. That just seems to be the most barbaric and wicked thing I've ever heard of happening to someone I've met. (Or at least forum'd with.)

On the execution, at least they could have tried her for, say, malpractice. She didn't cure people that paid her. but to execute her for sorcery instead of a punishment more suited to what she actually did...

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8212 on: December 13, 2011, 03:37:10 am »

for the twins and the transgender: awwww....it's heartwarming to see there is hope.
for the sorceress death:

meh, it's like if we took all the "astrologist" or "card readers" or "mages" who charge really high prices and gave them the death sentence for "naturally selecting" the intelligence of the human species.
Her crimes still does not excuse the barbarism however.
Religious police? sheesh. i can't ... i'll excuse myself from that topic. my views on what should be done are the same as the romans with carthagen.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8213 on: December 13, 2011, 03:47:56 am »

Saudi Arabia is ridiculously harsh on crime. Considering that she also committed medical fraud where she convinced people to forgo potentially life saving treatments for her bogus cures? She was probably looking at the death penalty anyway. That is no excuse, but it is something to consider.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: December 13, 2011, 09:08:59 am »

A terror attack occurred in Belgium, my guess is that it's right-wing extremists from their modus orpendi : shooting and throwing grenades at young at a bus stop.*

Edit : Apparently now it's a tentative of evasion (that ended bad for them : one dead, one suicide and one arrested). No explanation on why the hell they thought that using grenades was a good idea. Especially since grenade are hard to come by. And that our policemen are usually only armed with a gun.

Edit 2 : Ok only one shooter, dead, with no know motive.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:19:38 am by Phmcw »

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: December 13, 2011, 10:35:23 am »

The drive-by grenade attack is a staple of the PKK in Turkey as well. Often thrown from motorcycles into public parks.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: December 13, 2011, 12:22:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

O yeah, real quick recap. I went to pee in the boys' bathroom in high school. Did. Six classmates came in. The largest, at 6'4'' and over 200 lbs when I was 5'7'' and 130lbs soaking, wet decided to repeatedly acquaint his fists with my face. Fought back fully knowing it would be completely useless. It was. I could see both of his hands, yet felt someone hit me in the back of the head. Last thing I remember was being on the floor and repeatedly kicked. It was later determined at trial that, someone, was afraid I might die and literally dumped me off at a free clinic. I was made fun of quite a lot in high school and called queer among other things, though I didn't show anyone, including myself, I was gay. For this and other similar things, paranoid to this day.

As for the Saudi sorcery execution thing, nuts. We had witch hunts here once. Didn't work out well.

And what's really terrible is the way they would determine if you were a witch. Think about this, if you sank you died a "good christian death," and if you floated with the weights on you, then you were a witch. Not only was this cruel but it was immeasurably stupid given that these people believed in a certain Mr. Jesus Christ, WHO COULD WALK ON WATER.

The Second Coming happened briefly in 1600s Salem MA. Jesus walked on water again, they were not impressed this time....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:24:51 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: December 13, 2011, 12:36:12 pm »

"holly shit, they are killing they own children en masse in the name of Jesus, somehow".

Then you probably should have said that, instead of something completely different.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: December 13, 2011, 12:42:10 pm »

"holly shit, they are killing they own children en masse in the name of Jesus, somehow".

Then you probably should have said that, instead of something completely different.
It's exactly what I said. And you ignore the part where I said I used this fact to destroy one again, the "faith as a moral compass" argument, which for some reason you choose to take as a blame for Christianity as a whole.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: December 13, 2011, 01:13:41 pm »

You said, and I quite literally quote:

Wow, if anyone want a definitive proof that faith just doesn't work as a moral compass

So. The idea is, because these people are doing horrid things, no religion works as a moral compass. That is what you quite literately said.

So...

How can you say that faith does not work as a moral compass (at all and in any way) and not see it as useless?

What the fuck is any religion 'for' if not as a moral compass. If you invalidate the moral parts of it you are left with nothing but 17,000 years (Herp derp random number. I am sure faith has been around longer) of abuse and... well. Evil.

I mean... Fuck. You still have the social parts of it, but really. Who gives a fuck? If faith is not moral then what is the point? It is invalid. Who gives a fuck.

Edit: Yes. I spelled the same word two different ways. Deal with it.
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 852