Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 853743 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #5265 on: September 25, 2011, 07:36:44 pm »

They do euthanize pitbulls just because they're pitbulls. They give some kind of reasoning along saying their very existence causes them suffering.
Nothing important here, move along.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: September 25, 2011, 07:43:33 pm »

All shelters kill a lot of animals.
This is not strictly true. There are plenty of no kill shelters. I got my first dog from one.
And PETA goes far beyond killing lots of animals - they downright kill MOST of what falls in their hands. And they come up with lame excuses afterwards. Like I said, a dog has a better chance at a pound that at a PETA "shelter".
There really isn't anything suggesting any of the "straight to death" handling in the wiki article
Yes. That's why I provided the other links.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:47:02 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: September 25, 2011, 07:48:18 pm »

They do euthanize pitbulls just because they're pitbulls. They give some kind of reasoning along saying their very existence causes them suffering.
Which is bullshit, by the way. Pitbulls are wonderful dogs, and don't deserve the reputation given to them by intolerant nitwits.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: September 25, 2011, 07:50:43 pm »

Which is bullshit, by the way. Pitbulls are wonderful dogs, and don't deserve the reputation given to them by intolerant nitwits.

They may be wonderful dogs, but they're much more likely than all those other wonderful dogs to take a piece out of you. That said, euthanising every last one would be ridiculous; perhaps restrictions on keeping them in cities.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: September 25, 2011, 07:51:27 pm »

They may be wonderful dogs, but they're much more likely than all those other wonderful dogs to take a piece out of you.
Plainly untrue.
http://saveabull.com/2008/petas-pit-bull-and-companion-animal-policies/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull#Centers_for_Disease_Control_and_Prevention_.282000.29
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:54:08 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: September 25, 2011, 07:52:34 pm »

It's sad, but animals are treated like shit in our society. Especially pets.

Yeah, I really want to get a couple of pet cats when my life settles down (because who am I kidding--like hell I'm going to get married), but I'm not sure I'd take good enough care of them =/  I'll probably practice on a garden and some other things first, because I'd hate myself if I got a pet and neglected it.  Hell, I'd hate myself for taking bad care of the garden, but at least it wouldn't be as hard as a cat.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: September 25, 2011, 07:54:56 pm »

The general rule is that you start by getting yourself a plant. If you can take care of a plant for a year, then it's safe to move on to a pet.

The saying goes on that if you can take care of the pet for a year, you're ready for a human child, but that's just extra fluff in your case.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: September 25, 2011, 07:57:00 pm »

I have a fancy for parrots ever since I met my father's partner's one. It was surprisingly affectionate.

Then again I'm not sure I can care for one, or whether it's the ideal pet for me. I do think I ought to get a pet once I'm a bit more settled, though.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: September 25, 2011, 08:00:22 pm »

Note 1: Pitbulls are put down more because a lot of the people who adopt and raise them do so for guard dogs. As such they grow hostile and unable to fit in with any other task. A dog that has been raised to be violent are extremely difficult to rehabilitate, and it costs more than anybody is willing to spend.

Note 2: A LOT of animals in shelters come from hoarders. These are often animals left to live in cardboard boxes with no interaction with humans and don't get cleaned. They are about as difficult to deal with as abused Pitbulls. And they home in the hundreds when hoarders are caught. I understand why such dogs are put down immediately.

I am not defending PETA, but I am saying that there are a lot of situations where a lot of pets can either live in a terrifying world they don't understand alone or get put down, and I understand why shelters make the choices they do.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: September 25, 2011, 08:04:47 pm »

The thing about PITA isn't that they put down the agressive, abused pitbulls, but that they put down ALL pitbulls. If they can get their hands on one, it dies.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: September 25, 2011, 08:05:47 pm »

Not just pitbulls, pretty much every pet they can't adopt out in the same day.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: September 25, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »

They may be wonderful dogs, but they're much more likely than all those other wonderful dogs to take a piece out of you.
Plainly untrue.
http://saveabull.com/2008/petas-pit-bull-and-companion-animal-policies/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull#Centers_for_Disease_Control_and_Prevention_.282000.29

Sorry, Chairman, but your first link is from 'saveabull.com' and your second simply contradicts you. I also found this, which gives a breakdown of attacks by type and breed; one isn't certain of its veracity, but it doesn't immediately appear biased. You simply cannot reasonably deny this evidence that pit bulls are more dangerous than most other dogs; this doesn't mean that they're all slavering hellhounds, but there is a correlation.

Again: Pit bulls are not automatic murderbeasts, and the higher incidence of pitbulls attacking people and animals likely has something to do with the training they typically recieve, but frankly, people chose pitbulls to train as guard and attack dogs over, say, Jack Russells for a reason.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: September 25, 2011, 08:14:30 pm »

All shelters kill a lot of animals.
This is not strictly true. There are plenty of no kill shelters. I got my first dog from one.
And PETA goes far beyond killing lots of animals - they downright kill MOST of what falls in their hands. And they come up with lame excuses afterwards. Like I said, a dog has a better chance at a pound that at a PETA "shelter".
Better chance of what, exactly? Getting a new home?
I really do think shelters who to put down animals (and I acknowledge not all do, that was lazy typing on my side) end up killing most of those who get there. Not many people go to shelters when they want a dog, nor do most people want grown up dogs (or any animal), but unfortunately the majority of pets that gets handed away aren't babies any more. The animals nobody wants get put down. Shelters can't take care of everyone. I wonder what happens when the no-kill ones are full. Turn all new animals down?

However, while none of those links seemed anywhere near unbiased, PETA comes out as worse than other places even after I try to look beyond the subjectiveness. Some of it is rather fucked up.

I think you mean the reputation they've gotten from all the idiots who turned their dogs into mentally disturbed fighters.

It's sad, but animals are treated like shit in our society. Especially pets.

Yeah, I really want to get a couple of pet cats when my life settles down (because who am I kidding--like hell I'm going to get married), but I'm not sure I'd take good enough care of them =/  I'll probably practice on a garden and some other things first, because I'd hate myself if I got a pet and neglected it.  Hell, I'd hate myself for taking bad care of the garden, but at least it wouldn't be as hard as a cat.
Hopefully :P
It's also rather good for the cats to have a garden to play in later ;)

Note 2: A LOT of animals in shelters come from hoarders. These are often animals left to live in cardboard boxes with no interaction with humans and don't get cleaned. They are about as difficult to deal with as abused Pitbulls. And they home in the hundreds when hoarders are caught. I understand why such dogs are put down immediately.
Also, it's not uncommon that animal hoarders get their animals from over-full shelters. They start as any other voluntary (and meant to be temporary) care-takers, but yeah. Hoarding ensue.

pre-edit: So. Many. Ninjas.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: September 25, 2011, 08:17:30 pm »

Sorry, Chairman, but your first link is from 'saveabull.com' and your second simply contradicts you.
sorry blargityblarg, but your first dismissal was a "poison the well" attempt, and you didn't bother to finish reading the second
The report's authors went on to say:
"Although the fatality data are concerning, one must broaden the context to consider both fatal and nonfatal bites when deciding on a course of action. ...[A] 36% increase in medically attended bites from 1986 to 1994 draws attention to the need for an effective response, including dog bite prevention programs. Because (1) fatal bites constitute less than 0.00001% of all dog bites annually, (2) fatal bites have remained relatively constant over time, whereas nonfatal bites have been increasing, and (3) fatal bites are rare at the usual political level where bite regulations are promulgated and enforced, we believe that fatal bites should not be the primary factor driving public policy regarding dog bite prevention."
The report's authors suggested that "generic non–breed-specific, dangerous dog laws can be enacted that place primary responsibility for a dog's behavior on the owner, regardless of the dog's breed. In particular, targeting chronically irresponsible dog owners may be effective."[37]
The latest CDC "Dog Bite: Fact Sheet" includes a disclaimer regarding this study, saying that
"it does not identify specific breeds that are most likely to bite or kill, and thus is not appropriate for policy-making decisions related to the topic. Each year, 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs. These bites result in approximately 16 fatalities; about 0.0002 percent of the total number of people bitten. These relatively few fatalities offer the only available information about breeds involved in dog bites. There is currently no accurate way to identify the number of dogs of a particular breed, and consequently no measure to determine which breeds are more likely to bite or kill."[38]

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: September 25, 2011, 08:22:52 pm »

I personally am not getting a pet if I can help it. I mean, I love em to bits, but I don't think I'll have the money or time to give them proper care.

As for PETA specifically... Extremists give groups a bad name. I'm probably one of the more radical animal rights people out there, but I know going around shouting "fur is murder" will convince no one and will only damage my argument. I mean yeah, I don't eat meat or wear leather/fur, and will encourage other people to do the same, but I'm not going to shove my opinions down your throat if you disagree.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 852