Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 852

Author Topic: Chill and Relaxed Progressive Irritation and Annoyance Thread  (Read 854096 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Vector's Chill and Relaxed Progressive Rage Thread
« Reply #5160 on: September 21, 2011, 09:16:43 pm »

Back on Davis: does anyone else feel there might be riots if he's executed at this point? Not Rodney King levels, but it still seems to be a rather questionable case tainted by vengeful cops. On MSNBC it was mentioned that the current prison warden turned away media interviews with Davis, only saying: "he (the warden) was a Savanna officer 22 years ago too".
The police certainly agree with you, because they pre-deployed full gear riot squads "just in case" before the now-cancelled execution.

Fuck the Police!!!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: September 21, 2011, 09:18:57 pm »

The biggest problem that I have with the death penalty is that I don't believe that Hubris, Hypocrisy, and Petty Revenge* are ideals that the government should be striving to uphold. (This, of course, this would remain a problem even if the courts were infallible and even if the death penalty really did save money)

Exactly how do you describe Petty Revenge and can there be Justifiable Revenge?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: September 21, 2011, 09:25:36 pm »

Reuters is reporting that the stay of execution has been denied. They'll likely be killing Troy Davis any minute now.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: September 21, 2011, 09:26:57 pm »

The biggest problem that I have with the death penalty is that I don't believe that Hubris, Hypocrisy, and Petty Revenge* are ideals that the government should be striving to uphold. (This, of course, this would remain a problem even if the courts were infallible and even if the death penalty really did save money)

Exactly how do you describe Petty Revenge and can there be Justifiable Revenge?

Hmm... that's actually a good question. Perhaps "petty" wasn't really the right word for it. My real problem with the vengefulness involved is the sort of combination of both cold sterility, and smug self-righteousness that is always present in "closure" revenge which is not always present with regular revenge, and which makes the Death Penalty particularly disturbing.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: September 21, 2011, 09:27:59 pm »

Reuters is reporting that the stay of execution has been denied. They'll likely be killing Troy Davis any minute now.
The stay of execution was denied a while ago. The Supreme Court themselves agreed to hear a review of his case, they can't execute him now.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: September 21, 2011, 09:29:08 pm »

Well here's to hoping that there's a riot! Fuck da police!
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: September 21, 2011, 09:33:43 pm »

Fuck da police!
To be honest, that just doesn't sound fun for anybody concerned. I'm not sure I see the point.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: September 21, 2011, 09:38:47 pm »

Man I've been waiting for days now for a chance to take part in that Class Warfare they GOP keeps promising us. I'm sure I could find SOMETHING to use as a weapon.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: September 21, 2011, 10:06:45 pm »

The stay of execution was denied a while ago. The Supreme Court themselves agreed to hear a review of his case, they can't execute him now.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information. Either my cable TV and internet are broken, or the U.S. Supreme Court denied the stay of execution and the prison is performing the execution at this moment (11PM EST).

http://abcnews.go.com/US/troy-davis-execution-stay-denied-supreme-court/story?id=14571862

EDIT: Time of Death has been announced as 11:08 PM EST
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:15:06 pm by Glowcat »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: September 21, 2011, 10:14:03 pm »

That was a disturbingly short stay of execution.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: September 21, 2011, 10:15:58 pm »

I'm really serious about hoping that there will be a riot, BTW.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: September 21, 2011, 10:18:20 pm »

Some people actually tried to break into the prison to get him out, already.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: September 21, 2011, 10:48:59 pm »

He's dead :*(.

RIP man. This wasn't right.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: September 21, 2011, 11:12:02 pm »

Femshep is a hate-worthy word as it implies Shepard was supposed to be male and that there is a less-worthy female version in his place.

First off, if there was no choice between sexes then yeah, it would be a guy. There is a justifiable string of non-sexist logic to assume the original core character would be a guy based on trends from most games people have played. You can assume said trends of selling male main characters may be sexist, but the expectations of fans are probably based around trends independent on their stance on women's rights.

The second point is just out of nowhere, especially since FemShep is extremely popular(and not just because of the faint hope of hot lesbian sex). As pointed out, the male Shepard is referred to as ManShep. I can see some friction with the hair color choice explosion, but it still feels pretty harmless overall as people would be just as confused if ManShep suddenly turned up inexplicably blonde in the next game and whining would happen over it. I do wonder why they had to change it at all.

I'm really serious about hoping that there will be a riot, BTW.
Property damage and potential harm to civilians and officers sure is an appropriate and mature response to this situation.

I will support petty vandalism on the homes of the heads in charge of this though.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: September 21, 2011, 11:24:56 pm »

Femshep is a hate-worthy word as it implies Shepard was supposed to be male and that there is a less-worthy female version in his place.

First off, if there was no choice between sexes then yeah, it would be a guy. There is a justifiable string of non-sexist logic to assume the original core character would be a guy based on trends from most games people have played. You can assume said trends of selling male main characters may be sexist, but the expectations of fans are probably based around trends independent on their stance on women's rights.

The second point is just out of nowhere, especially since FemShep is extremely popular(and not just because of the faint hope of hot lesbian sex). As pointed out, the male Shepard is referred to as ManShep. I can see some friction with the hair color choice explosion, but it still feels pretty harmless overall as people would be just as confused if ManShep suddenly turned up inexplicably blonde in the next game and whining would happen over it. I do wonder why they had to change it at all.

The male-lead assumption is by its nature sexist, and pretty much what I was addressing with my comment.

That second part of that was foot-in-mouth as I was hastily putting together something during a commercial break between the Troy Davis story. I'm not familiar enough with Mass Effect or its fanbase to make an accurate assessment of the term's use but typically female characters are defined more by their gender than character and as such Femshep contains within it an element which seemed very much in that spirit of sexism. I admit that I could be wrong here though.
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 852